Historical Flaws of the US Democrat and Republican parties..

• What are you talking about, Republicans stripped many whites in the South of the right to vote… :-? Also the Republicans were out for revenge against the South.

• @Yanny:

The Democrats basically went “Don’t elect us and we leave the Union”, causing the civil war.

The Republicans during the 1920s set up the Great Depression.

Actually the Dmoecrats split into two parties in the election of Lincoln. To southerners the election of Lincoln was the ultimate offense against them because he was for making new states free soil. The Republicans of the 19th century were the more progressive and liberal party and the Democrats of the 19th century were the more conservative party. Nowadays that seems to have reversed.

• the republicans stripped former confederates of the right to vote, and those in states who they hadnt formally allowed back into the union

• the republicans stripped former confederates of the right to vote, and those in states who they hadnt formally allowed back into the union

That’s also because Republicans in Congress reversed the conditions set forth by Lincoln for readmittance into the Union - making them much more strict.

• I find it interesting that most of the events/actions we’ve mentioned and the couple discussed are from long ago.

As stated when the parties stood for something they don’t now.

The last of the Democrats to vote against Civil Rights are retired from the Senate and the House, too, I think.

We don’t really know the truth about Watergate. I know G. Gordon Liddy is still sueing John Dean over some things he said. Supposedly he ratted everybody out his own way to cover his sas.

• I hear enough bitching from both sides about recent events. More interesting to debate history :)

Its a shame 'ole Abe was killed, our country might be a much better place.

• Or would it?! He twisted the US Constitution more than any president. Clinton and Nixon would be minor league to his All-Star status.

• true, he did mess with the constitution, but personally, i think he was fully justified.

• Wonder why nobody wrote a book as if…

…Lincoln survived and reconstruction went his way(1865 - 1872[including the presidency of Lincoln’s VP to continue reconstruction, as if the South voted for Republicans in 1868.])

…Lincoln survived, things went as above and we see the world from 2005 without ever having had poll taxes, the KKK, lynchings, segregation, Confederate flags on Southern state capitals or on Southern state flags, just to name a few things.

• No idea. I do know there have been books written where the South won the Civil War, they weren’t strong enough to take over the Union, instead the South was the CSA and the North was still the US.

• true, he did mess with the constitution, but personally, i think he was fully justified.

I guess nobody knows ol’ Abe was a racist too, right?

No idea. I do know there have been books written where the South won the Civil War, they weren’t strong enough to take over the Union, instead the South was the CSA and the North was still the US.

Yeah, there’s no way the South could’ve defeated the North in a offensive war.

…Lincoln survived, things went as above and we see the world from 2005 without ever having had poll taxes, the KKK, lynchings, segregation, Confederate flags on Southern state capitals or on Southern state flags, just to name a few things.

It’s a shame that they took down the Confederate flag from the SC state capitol. Revisionist bastards. :-?

• It doesnt matter whether or not he was a rascist, the fact is, if indeed he was, he put it aside to free them. If so, that could arguably make him a better person than somebody who wasnt rascist.

El Jefe I believed mentioned the KKK. but its interesting to note that it began merely as a social club, and eventually saw the power its night rides had, particularly over blacks. also, the KKK we know and love (bad joke) today is not the same one, but was founded in I believe 1915.

• Lincoln only freed the slaves because of foreign politics.

• Elaborate

• Elaborate

The only reason why Lincoln freed the slaves was because he was afraid of the thought of France or Britain (both of which abolished slavery years ago) entering the Civil War on the side of the Confederacy. Think about it, if Abraham Lincoln really wanted to “emancipate” the slaves, why do it with just “liberated” Southern territories, rather than the border pro-slavery states that Lincoln had placed marital law under.

• TG I agree with you as to why Lincoln put forth the Emancipation Proclamation. However that document freed slaves in the rebel states, not the pro-un-slavery border states. They remained slaves until a bit later. I recommend Gore Vidal’s “Lincoln” for an interesting insight of our 16th President.

Dubya also Gatorade

• Correction, my last post should read pro-slavery border states.

Dubya also Gatorade

• Yeah, I heard of Lincoln before… I hear it even puts into light parts of where Lincoln was a borderline fascist.

• Lincoln- I think we can pardon his constitutional “stretches”.
    Lincoln’s own notion was to preserve the Union. And it was done.
    As far as the Stars and Bars go:
    I am from New York-
    I live in Florida-
    I am Conservative-
    Majored in history-
    And as such know that the Stars and Bars is
    a Battle flag- also known as the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia. They were the Confedetes and were pro slavery.

The Stars and Bars was adopted by the early members of the Klan
    because it was an easily recognizable symbol of “The South”
    and "The South " meant Slavery.

The First meeting of the Klan Took place in 1870 (which was after the war had ended.)

In other words; any confederate symbols that would adorn a State flag would have been put there AFTER the US Civil War.

The Logic is very simple: The Flag of the Army of N. Virginia didn’t EXIST
    BEFORE the CW.

I could go on about how the DEMOCRATS controlled the South until the 1970’s but that has already been covered. I will confine myself to one point:

If folks were so upset that the Confederate flag’s not being flown anymore then where were these same folks when their symbol was Co-opted by the Klan or the Skinheads?

No where!

• If folks were so upset that the Confederate flag’s not being flown anymore then where were these same folks when their symbol was Co-opted by the Klan or the Skinheads?

I never seen any skinhead groups use the Confed flag, though I might be wrong. As for the Klan, do they still use the NV Battle Flag?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m