2 fighters
    4 art
    2 inf

Eastern contingent
    Move all Units from Berlin (except fighter) to Silesia
    Attack Poland from Silesia and Prussia or hold if Russia stacks Poland

Western contingent
    Move all units from Kiel to Ruhr
    Hanover 5 units to Ruhr and one to Munich (fighter)

South/West contingent
    Ruhr move everything to Alsace
    Alsace & Munich attack Swiss

Sea
    S5 & S10 attack S9
    S7 attack S2 or aid in attacking S9 (when attacking S2 the German subs can destroy 15 ipc, but they will be destroyed by the France on the same turn. When attacking S9 they need to pass 2 mine fields).
    On turn 2 your remaining fleet will move to S10 and you will buy 1-2 transports. On turn 3 you will take out the Russian battleship in S12 and land units in 1-3 Russian Baltic territories. On turn 4 your fleet will defend S10

The idea on the western front is to have France spread their forces. Most likely you can still take Belgium turn 2

The South/west contingent can attack Lorraine, Burgundy, Piedmont and Venice the next turn. Preferably it attacks Italy with the fighter from Munich. By attacking Italy the Austrians will not need to buy a navy on the first turn and with German help they should be able to kill Italy quickly. Of course adding a sub when it looks Italy will fall will definitely help against Italy’s fleet suiciding

Eastern front: Take IPC whenever you can and chose your fights. If you feel like your eastern contingent is not big enough. Buy two transports in turn 2 to attack in the Baltics with your remaining German fleet in turn 3.

• Sounds good…

I`m trying to find a German strategy for a scenario where Switzerland is impassable and Belgium has to be invaded as mandatory attack. Anyone else?

• What’s your plan for the Germans when the Russians (who go before) Stack everything they can in the Ukraine (abandon Poland) and purchase fighters?

If the Germans move into Poland in force on their turn, the Russians will destroy it completly.

Russia trying to make a stand in Poland turn one is a loser, they can fall back and pick their fights.

Kim

• Chacmool,

I’m with you on Switzerland.  I don’t know that it needs to be impassable, but it shouldn’t be the preferred expressway everyone uses as a shortcut to Grandma’s house either.  It should be more of a congested toll road that’s under construction with only one toll booth open, to represent the mountains, forests, lakes, rivers, and angry Swiss with guns and fortress tunnels dug into the rocks.

I’m not sure what to do to achieve that, however.  Give the Swiss a bigger army than their economic value would indicate?  Apply an economic penalty to the attacker to represent an embargo from neutral countries whose leaders are afraid of their numbered bank accounts going away?

• @KimRYoung:

What’s your plan for the Germans when the Russians (who go before) Stack everything they can in the Ukraine (abandon Poland) and purchase fighters?

If the Germans move into Poland in force on their turn, the Russians will destroy it completly.

Russia trying to make a stand in Poland turn one is a loser, they can fall back and pick their fights.

Kim

Then the road up north is wide open. Keep your army next to the austrian russian army and send a small force up north and/or buy 2 transports next turn. Remember your main focus is not to defeat the Russian army but to take their IPC. By eliminating Italy first and keeping your Austrian fleet while doing in the Mediterranean Sea you hold the key to CP victory.

You can also chose to move 5 infantry from Hanover to Silesia and buy an additional fighter

• I like it, a G2 hit on Piedmont would set up the potential of capturing Marseilles and turning off those mines.  I’m not sure I would agree with your purchases.  I have almost abandoned buying fighters with the CPs, too easy for the allies to out buy you and they die fairly easily.

• @Texas:

I like it, a G2 hit on Piedmont would set up the potential of capturing Marseilles and turning off those mines.  I’m not sure I would agree with your purchases.  I have almost abandoned buying fighters with the CPs, too easy for the allies to out buy you and they die fairly easily.

Fighters in my opinion are required against Russia and at least one against Italy and by buying fighters you are forcing France indirectly to buy a few more then anticipated and not spending their money on other land units instead.

The German contingent in the South will aid in Austria conquering Rome in 4-5 turns. At that moment or prior to that turn Austria will spend all their money on navy to attack S17, which will be free of mines. Having a large Austrian fleet in S17 is a threat to all Allies Mediterranean controlled countries  and will definitely help the Ottomans in their struggle against the UK.

Instead of stacking Belgium with 40+ units with Germany and competing with the France it is better to play slightly more defensive on the West and kill Italy instead.

• Sea strategy

S5 & S10 attack S9

S7 attack S2 or aid in attacking S9 (when attacking S2 the German subs can destroy 15 ipc, but they will be destroyed by the France on the same turn. When attacking S9 they need to pass 2 mine fields).

On turn 2 your remaining fleet will move to S10 (repair battleship) and you will buy 1-2 transports and perhaps an additional sub. On turn 3 you will take out the Russian battleship in S12 and land units in 1-3 Russian Baltic territories.

• @Snackbar:

@Texas:

I like it, a G2 hit on Piedmont would set up the potential of capturing Marseilles and turning off those mines.  I’m not sure I would agree with your purchases.  I have almost abandoned buying fighters with the CPs, too easy for the allies to out buy you and they die fairly easily.

Fighters in my opinion are required against Russia and at least one against Italy and by buying fighters you are forcing France indirectly to buy a few more then anticipated and not spending their money on other land units instead.

The German contingent in the South will aid in Austria conquering Rome in 4-5 turns. At that moment or prior to that turn Austria will spend all their money on navy to attack S17, which will be free of mines. Having a large Austrian fleet in S17 is a threat to all Allies Mediterranean controlled countries  and will definitely help the Ottomans in their struggle against the UK.

Instead of stacking Belgium with 40+ units with Germany and competing with the France it is better to play slightly more defensive on the West and kill Italy instead.

I think if you send germans to aid in Italy, the french will rescue the italiens or will break through your german lines, or is this an all in strategy against france?

• Normally France will have to aid Italy anyhow and can easily defend against your large stacked German army in Belgium. Now on your first turn we do not attack Belgium, making France having to defend multiple territories

By moving a large force to Swiss on your first turn your army is still flexible to go out all directions. If France aids Piedmont and Italy’s army there doesn’t move then you will be facing max 13 infantry, 4 artillery from Tuscany, Piedmont and Burgundy. France will need to reinforce Burgundy and Marseilles at the same turn. The good thing is that there army is spread among many countries. On the other hand you can attack Piedmont with 18-1 (loss in Swiss battle) infantry 6 artillery and one fighter.

Result would be 8.5 German casualties versus 11 Allied casualties

Venice will fall to Austria on the same turn (most part of Vienna army is meant for Italy) leaving Italy wide open.

Basically Italy can only hold the line if they withdraw at their first to Tuscany, but that leaves the France army toasted in Piedmont. If the France do not defend Piedmont a large German army can make a strong attack on Tuscany on turn 3.

Meanwhile it might be a good idea to purchase a battleship with Austria or an additional fighter

• @Snackbar:

Normally France will have to aid Italy anyhow and can easily defend against your large stacked German army in Belgium. Now on your first turn we do not attack Belgium, making France having to defend multiple territories

By moving a large force to Swiss on your first turn your army is still flexible to go out all directions. If France aids Piedmont and Italy’s army there doesn’t move then you will be facing max 13 infantry, 4 artillery from Tuscany, Piedmont and Burgundy. France will need to reinforce Burgundy and Marseilles at the same turn. The good thing is that there army is spread among many countries. On the other hand you can attack Piedmont with 18-1 (loss in Swiss battle) infantry 6 artillery and one fighter.

Result would be 8.5 German casualties versus 11 Allied casualties

Venice will fall to Austria on the same turn (most part of Vienna army is meant for Italy) leaving Italy wide open.

Basically Italy can only hold the line if they withdraw at their first to Tuscany, but that leaves the France army toasted in Piedmont. If the France do not defend Piedmont a large German army can make a strong attack on Tuscany on turn 3.

Meanwhile it might be a good idea to purchase a battleship with Austria or an additional fighter

France usually stacks everything it’s got in Burgundy (around 35 units). From there they can easily destroy your smaller german stack on Piemont. They can deside to bypass your german forces and head straight for the Ruhr and other precious german territories. Italy can hold out for 4 turns against the AH and Ger by simply withrdrawing to Tuscany the first turn. Your idea is not a bad one, but I’ve tried it before and although italy might fall (if US sends in reinforcements Italy is saved for the Allies), the french become a growing menace on german soil.

• I doubt that would be sufficient to wipe out the Southern German Army and if it is you still would have a considerable force to take Belgium, Picardy and Lorraine without the chance of being countered as the France army would be stuck in Piedmont. France will really need to send everything leaving their northern front unguarded. Austria can reinforce Piedmont on their turn

Alternatively you could move your force to Venice and join forces with Austria in Tuscany. Buying a battleship each turn with Austria will keep USA at bay.

• @Snackbar:

I doubt that would be sufficient to wipe out the Southern German Army and if it is you still would have a considerable force to take Belgium, Picardy and Lorraine without the chance of being countered as the France army would be stuck in Piedmont. France will really need to send everything leaving their northern front unguarded

Alternatively you could move your force to Venice and join forces with Austria in Tuscany. Buying a battleship each turn with Austria will keep USA at bay.

And you hold of the russians with the other half of your german and AH army?
    So Italy is the main target? I once captured Moskou and italy and still had all 3 CP capitals. But it still wasn’t enough to win because the british were ad 50 (some landings in balkans) and the US could recapture italy in a turn or 2.

• yes your army would be large enough to take Russian territories and/or at least hold your ground. Berlin army would still move to Silesia.

Normally what happens with Germany is that you would take Belgium on your first turn and stack it. France and the Uk will stack Picardy, resulting in your German army being stuck there and it not move for many turns.

With moving an army to Swiss you are free to exploit any possibility that may occur. If France would stack Burgundy then you can stack Swiss with additional Austrian armies or move to Alsace with a combined German army. Atleast the frontline is closer and your supply lines from Vienna are shorter. From Swiss you are threatening 4 allied territories.

• By moving a large force to Swiss on your first turn your army is still flexible to go out all directions. If France aids Piedmont and Italy’s army there doesn’t move then you will be facing max 13 infantry, 4 artillery from Tuscany, Piedmont and Burgundy. France will need to reinforce Burgundy and Marseilles at the same turn. The good thing is that there army is spread among many countries. On the other hand you can attack Piedmont with 18-1 (loss in Swiss battle) infantry 6 artillery and one fighter.

Snackbar,
    last game we played the CP tried pretty much this idea. Austria captured Switzerland on her turn, then every German that could get there moved in. It did look impressive and threatened from the central position. The French countered with moving teh army from Burgandy and fighter in to Piedmont, and the Italians reinforced. France then massed everthing else in Burgandy.

The Austrians on there own could not attack either. The Germans tried, but couldn’t make any headway either and could not get enough reinforments to the front to push through either way against a combined Italian-French force. the allies also had air superiority fighting defensivly and German losses mounted quickly.

Of course this was just one game, so another try with some variation could change the outcome, but the inital though was it looked better then it actually turned out.

Kim

• @KimRYoung:

Snackbar,
    last game we played the CP tried pretty much this idea. Austria captured Switzerland on her turn, then every German that could get there moved in. It did look impressive and threatened from the central position. The French countered with moving teh army from Burgandy and fighter in to Piedmont, and the Italians reinforced. France then massed everthing else in Burgandy.

The Austrians on there own could not attack either. The Germans tried, but couldn’t make any headway either and could not get enough reinforments to the front to push through either way against a combined Italian-French force. the allies also had air superiority fighting defensivly and German losses mounted quickly.

Of course this was just one game, so another try with some variation could change the outcome, but the inital though was it looked better then it actually turned out.

Kim

Perhaps you are correct. But in this scenario Austria does not attack Swiss but Venice instead and Germany takes Swiss. I think this is a big difference.

• Perhaps you are correct. But in this scenario Austria does not attack Swiss but Venice instead and Germany takes Swiss. I think this is a big difference.

Possibly. would need to try that. I our game though, the French still had enough reserves to send 6 units to Albania to open a frooont in the Balkens diverting Austrian and Turkish forces that way. These units could just as easily have gone to Piedmont to make it even stronger.

It looks like interesting strategies for sure, but there’s no sure game winner. I think it needs to be played more rather then theroized.

Thanks
    Kim

• @KimRYoung:

Perhaps you are correct. But in this scenario Austria does not attack Swiss but Venice instead and Germany takes Swiss. I think this is a big difference.

Possibly. would need to try that. I our game though, the French still had enough reserves to send 6 units to Albania to open a frooont in the Balkens diverting Austrian and Turkish forces that way. These units could just as easily have gone to Piedmont to make it even stronger.

It looks like interesting strategies for sure, but there’s no sure game winner. I think it needs to be played more rather then theroized.

Thanks
    Kim

True. The big advantage of this scenario is that Germany has mobilized a larger part of its army instead of conducting a trenches war

• Swiss strategy is the answer. First Axis win

• There is no such thing as “Swiss strategy”.

If you don’t make Switzerland impassable then all German Munich Forces take Switzerland every game and with that Switzerland is out already.

The point is how to continue!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m