• I’m under the distinct impression that the Ottomans are very vulnerable to Allied amphibious assaults. The combined Austrian and Ottaman fleets don’t stand much of a chance against the British, French and italians. After that they can steadily attack Constantinople. They might not take it outright, but at the very least keep the Ottomans on the defensive.

Any experiences with this?

• I like to add to the Austrian fleet every turn with a Submarine; forces the British to add fleet.  The British only have 2 transports by India- they cannot land much in Constantinople.  Do they add 4 units/turn there?  Italy and France sure cannot afford to land troops there.  Now, when the US arrives, then all bets are off.

• Customizer

On my custom map I divided the Ottoman sea zone into two; the southern zones stretches east to include the entire coastline of Smyrna, which gives some more protection against AA (both SZs are mined by Turkey).

• @Koningstiger:

I’m under the distinct impression that the Ottomans are very vulnerable to Allied amphibious assaults.

I can picture Churchill saying exactly the same thing when he proposed invading the Dardanelles.  It didn’t work out that way in real life…but I don’t know if the game rules reflect this or not.

• Customizer

It does if the Allied fleet loses ships to mines, and the landing troops are hit hard on the beaches by Turkish artillery.

• The Allies don’t really have the ability to mount an amphibious attack upon Constantinople early in the war.  The Italians are too weak.  The UK are too busy in the Indian Ocean.  The French are too busy with the Germans.  The only country that really can do it is the USA.  When they first enter the war, they come across with about 12 units in 6 transports and a few warships.  If they were to invade, at least 1 transport would be lost due to naval mines.  That alone was enough to deter everyone to even try it.  Every turn, the Ottomans typicalls bought 1 artillery.  When the USA was within striking distance, the Ottomans purchased 2 that turn, plus kept 1 from the previous turn.  Having 3 artillery that can have a preemptive strike upon invading forces, along with the naval mines, makes it very difficult for anyone to invade successfully.

• Customizer

Why not invade Smyrna, then attack Constantinople over land? Only a fool would attack the capital directly from a mined sea zone. Or Churchill.

• @Flashman:

Only a fool would attack the capital directly from a mined sea zone. Or Churchill.

Bugs Bunny: “Only a fool would go after the Singing Sword!”
    King Arthur: “A good idea…fool.”
    –Knighty Knight Bugs

• @Flashman:

Why not invade Smyrna, then attack Constantinople over land? Only a fool would attack the capital directly from a mined sea zone. Or Churchill.

Good point!

• @CWO:

@Koningstiger:

I’m under the distinct impression that the Ottomans are very vulnerable to Allied amphibious assaults.

I can picture Churchill saying exactly the same thing when he proposed invading the Dardanelles.  It didn’t work out that way in real life…but I don’t know if the game rules reflect this or not.

Yes, it’s true. The combination of mines and artillery might deter a premature invasion attempt. Then again, The Smyrna option is there too and you don’t need to capture Constantinople outright, just keeping them busy there rather than harboring any offensive thoughts, might prove useful as well…

• @Flashman:

Surprice. Nobody could see such a daring attack coming, so if admiral Robeck had pulled it trough it just maight have succeeded. Unfortunately he turned yellow after the 3 first ships sunk, and retreated. At this time the Turkish coastal artillery was out of shells, and they had no more mines either, so the lane to Constantinople was open. But admiral Robeck did not know that, he just limped home. Of course they could have gone via Smyrna, but the defensive positions in the mountains were strong, and it would be a pain in the a$$ to supply a mountain campaign during winter.

• @Razor:

@Flashman:

Surprice. Nobody could see such a daring attack coming, so if admiral Robeck had pulled it trough it just maight have succeeded. Unfortunately he turned yellow after the 3 first ships sunk, and retreated. At this time the Turkish coastal artillery was out of shells, and they had no more mines either, so the lane to Constantinople was open. But admiral Robeck did not know that, he just limped home. Of course they could have gone via Smyrna, but the defensive positions in the mountains were strong, and it would be a pain in the a$$ to supply a mountain campaign during winter.

All true, but since there is no terrain representation in A&A, that problem is non-existant in the game (-;

• @Flashman:

“Only a fool would get involved in a land war in Asia.” - Vezzini  :-D

• Customizer

So, is Obama a fool? Looks like we might find out very soon now.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m