• If I understand correctly, morroco does not get men when invaded. it is a colony (small symbol) of spain and gets no units. Only large symbols (capitals) get units. Remember those minors allied with a power are not original territories (like portugal). Meaning that if Germany grabs it and uk captures it, it is not liberated, as it is not an original French territory, so Uk gets the territory. The french marker means you use french units at first and it initially joins france. When uk frees them from the oppression of the germans, they ally with uk.

• Customizer

You are correct. Which is a shame since the Turks had allies in the region.

I suppose they thought that giving troops to Congo, Angola & Mozambique would be too much for German y to handle, so its only fair.

• Aaahh, forgot about that. Easy enough fix though.

Thanks for the compliment too, Flashman. Take it in your next game. ;)

• I don’t think attacking with the German navy is the best idea. It is better to buy 1 sub on both turn 1-2 and make the navy defend the home port. That way the UK can’t land units in Holland and Kiel.

My first game I attacked with the Germany fleet and I ended up losing it soon after. Having the mines really intimidates the Allies into not attacking the German fleet.

• @Siris101:

I don’t think attacking with the German navy is the best idea. It is better to buy 1 sub on both turn 1-2 and make the navy defend the home port. That way the UK can’t land units in Holland and Kiel.

My first game I attacked with the Germany fleet and I ended up losing it soon after. Having the mines really intimidates the Allies into not attacking the German fleet.

Interesting idea. I may try something like that next time.

• Customizer

I reached the same conclusion. Just one turn after sinking the UK home fleet they had another in SZ 8 with French help and 4 transports gearing up to shuck 8 units a turn into Picardy.
    Very soon it’ll move into SZ 9 and start the Karelia convoy. The German fleet can do little more than sit and wait to die like the Austrians.

So, keep your subs and experiment with hunting down Allied ships. I haven’t tried this yet, but I feel subs need to be more powerful in interception and first strike to make this a winning strategy (like in WWII the U-Boats came closest to winning the war for Germany). Would encourage Austria to buy some too.

The USW warfare could do with powering up as well.

• Customizer

@JamesAleman:

If I understand correctly, morroco does not get men when invaded. it is a colony (small symbol) of spain and gets no units. Only large symbols (capitals) get units. Remember those minors allied with a power are not original territories (like portugal). Meaning that if Germany grabs it and uk captures it, it is not liberated, as it is not an original French territory, so Uk gets the territory. The french marker means you use french units at first and it initially joins france. When uk frees them from the oppression of the germans, they ally with uk.

Probably the wrong thread for this, but since we’re discussing it, let me see if I can clear up a question I had.

So if Germany captures a colony like Belgian Congo, and Britain defeats their forces there, Britain takes possession, correct? But if Britain moves directly into it (no German occupation), no change of ownership occurs?

• As far as I know, anyone who moves into Belgian Congo takes possession, even Britain.

• I thought the CP had to capture it first.

Wonder what the answer is.
    Krieg, please!

• @wittmann:

I thought the CP had to capture it first.

Wonder what the answer is.
    Krieg, please!

From Krieg:
    ‘If a minor power aligned to your power is captured by a friendly power, the capturing power takes control of the territory.  Only originally controlled territories can be liberated.’

I took that as an answer to the Belgian Congo question.  Maybe I mis-read?

• I read that. It meant nothing to me.
    You might be right.

I am baffled as to why colonies(or Africa) were not given their own paragraph in the rules.
    I think there would have been no confusion that way.

• Customizer

The rules on neutral colonies are a fudge. They should, of course, have a defending unit; and when you attack one Portuguese tt you should find yourself at war with all of them.

But they wanted to give Germany the chance to create Mittelafrika before they were driven off the continent, and 3 undefended neutral colonies were a means of doing this.

• @ossel:

@JamesAleman:

If I understand correctly, morroco does not get men when invaded. it is a colony (small symbol) of spain and gets no units. Only large symbols (capitals) get units. Remember those minors allied with a power are not original territories (like portugal). Meaning that if Germany grabs it and uk captures it, it is not liberated, as it is not an original French territory, so Uk gets the territory. The french marker means you use french units at first and it initially joins france. When uk frees them from the oppression of the germans, they ally with uk.

Probably the wrong thread for this, but since we’re discussing it, let me see if I can clear up a question I had.

So if Germany captures a colony like Belgian Congo, and Britain defeats their forces there, Britain takes possession, correct? But if Britain moves directly into it (no German occupation), no change of ownership occurs?

I think I understand the rules after reading all of the FAQ, I hope this helps:

Belgian Congo belongs to whoever captures it during their attack. Meaning if there were German, French, and UK units all contesting it. Whoever was the attacker and cleared the other contesting units wins it, however, if France and UK (defending together) defeat the last German on the German turn (thus his attack), then the two allies are free to pick among the two(because they have units present), who receives it, and if they cannot decide, the attacker (Germany) gets to decide which one claims it. Now, on the other hand, if France attacks and defeats the last German unit, they automatically get control since they are the attacker and have units left after the battle. When a territory becomes empty as a result of combat, if it is a neutral and no other units remain to claim it, then it will remain neutral until it is entered. (It does not matter who may have claimed it in prior turns as it is no one’s original territory and is never liberated, only captured) The contested territory rules really muddy the waters in terms of clarity of the rules.

Basically, the attacker always gets the territory if he has units alive. Only when defenders win is there ever a choice of who claims it, and that choice is limited to whoever has units present. That is why it is important when a garrisoned neutral is invaded that the powers choose wisely who will represent the activated units as a successful defense gives them the ability to claim that territory as they have units present.

• Don’t have the board near me; why is attacking Spanish Morocco a good idea for France? Just the free IPC or is there something else?

• @vonLettowVorbeck1914:

Don’t have the board near me; why is attacking Spanish Morocco a good idea for France? Just the free IPC or is there something else?

As far as I know, just the free IPCs

• @BJCard:

@vonLettowVorbeck1914:

Don’t have the board near me; why is attacking Spanish Morocco a good idea for France? Just the free IPC or is there something else?

As far as I know, just the free IPCs

Yep. I don’t see why you shouldn’t do it. You have extra French down their for a turn anyway.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m