[1942.2 & G40] Destroyers able to get a Shore Bombardment?

• Customizer

Destroyer bombard has been used as a tech before, and if we’re talking HRs as well as custom pieces I see no reason to exclude them from shore bombardment. Just IMO if you have the resources at you disposal this could be perfectly and historically reasonable in conjunction with other HR and custom piece rules.

• '17 '16

@toblerone77:

Destroyer bombard has been used as a tech before, and if we’re talking HRs as well as custom pieces I see no reason to exclude them from shore bombardment. Just IMO if you have the resources at you disposal this could be perfectly and historically reasonable in conjunction with other HR and custom piece rules.

Was it simply Destroyer bombard @2?
    I don’t know this tech.

• Customizer

I believe so Baron

• Destroyer Bombard was a tech from when DDs were 3/3 cost 12 and Cruisers didn’t exist (gave them bombard @3). IMO, even if destroyers did have bombardment tasks and were effective in that role, they already are the most efficient warship in the game (at least in 1940), so either this will make them needlessly more powerful or get overshadowed by the limit on how many ships can bombard.

• Customizer

I think there’s ways to accommodate DD bombard in conjunction with other HRs and custom units to counter-balance negative aspects of the ability.

• Customizer

I think destroyers should be able to bombard @ 2. In fact, I think all surface warships should have that ability.
    The only thing that worries me is if destroyers can bombard @ 2 plus their ASW abilities and cheap price, that will start a new wave of people saying “Cruisers aren’t worth buying”.

• '17 '16

@knp7765:

I think destroyers should be able to bombard @ 2. In fact, I think all surface warships should have that ability.
    The only thing that worries me is if destroyers can bombard @ 2 plus their ASW abilities and cheap price, that will start a new wave of people saying “Cruisers aren’t worth buying”.

And 2 Destroyers will be more potent than 1 BB for 4 IPCs less.
    A real game changer.
    As I’m looking just a little more historical accuracy, I think that even a Bombard @1 is too much.
    Maybe just give a +1A to any Inf or Art in the first round is the Max to keep a balance vs other warships.
    So Inf or Art can get a single roll to up to 3.
    Paired Inf A2+1 or Art A2+1= A3.

• @Baron:

Maybe just give a +1A to any Inf or Art in the first round is the Max to keep a balance vs other warships.

If you look at the firepower a Destroyer can project on an enemy position at a set time, and compare it to a real Artillery unit, or a fighter, then you will see that the true Artillery unit, which is actually designed to barrage an enemy position with indirect fire, with high accuracy and quantity, is far more effective in this job, than a destroyer with small gun direct fire, designed to sink ships, or a fighter with a tiny bomb. Funny enough, in this game it is the opposite.

Yes, I think a Destroyer should be able to boost a matching land unit +1 during the first round of Amphibious Assault, but the Destroyer should not Shore bombard.

I think this doctrine fit all A&A editions, so no need to start another thread about 1914, since it probably fit there, and here too, man

• '17 '16

@Razor:

@Baron:

If you look at the firepower a Destroyer can project on an enemy position at a set time, and compare it to a real Artillery unit, or a fighter, then you will see that the true Artillery unit, which is actually designed to barrage an enemy position with indirect fire, with high accuracy and quantity, is far more effective in this job, than a destroyer with small gun direct fire, designed to sink ships, or a fighter with a tiny bomb. Funny enough, in this game it is the opposite.

Yes, I think a Destroyer should be able to boost a matching land unit +1 during the first round of Amphibious Assault, but the Destroyer should not Shore bombard.

I think this doctrine fit all A&A editions, so no need to start another thread about 1914, since it probably fit there, and here too, man

Interesting point on DD’s guns.

• '17 '16

@Razor:

@Baron:

This distinction between giving a support fire “boosting a matching land unit” and “Shore bombardment” can be useful to clearly marks the difference between what cruiser and battleship do during an amphibious assault and what I would like the DD does as support beachlanding in my HR.

Sorry about the splitting thread on dogfight G40 vs 1914. It wasn’t meant to offend you.
    I will gladly pursue the discussion to help you develop a functionnal HR with 1914 backgrounds.

• No offense taken, man. I love to discuss  game mechanism with you

• Customizer

@knp7765:

Well FWIW I don’t mind adding some firepower especially if everyone can do it. I’m working with using the bunkers from HBG to have major and minor bunker complexes that soak hits even on islands. It really just depends on how far you want to diverge from OOB rules and what other units are going to come in to play.

A simple rule could be that all surface warships no matter their type boost +1 on a 1:1 ratio with land units for one round, and tweak it to your liking from there.

• '17 '16

@toblerone77:

@knp7765:

Well FWIW I don’t mind adding some firepower especially if everyone can do it. I’m working with using the bunkers from HBG to have major and minor bunker complexes that soak hits even on islands. It really just depends on how far you want to diverge from OOB rules and what other units are going to come in to play.

A simple rule could be that all surface warships no matter their type boost +1 on a 1:1 ratio with land units for one round, and tweak it to your liking from there.Â

Interesting extrapolation.
    It could be used by cruiser and BB in addition to their basic bombardment.
    We can even consider more boosting power toward BB.
    Cool. :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m