Axis and Allies 1914 FAQ/Question and Answer Thread

• No, Flashman……

Excellent!

• Customizer

This man is not me. The mighty Flash has no need for a sock puppet!

He is, quite obviously, the evil alter-ego of Axis and Allies creator and all-round hard man Larry Harris. His mission in life is to make the real Larry look intelligent and knowledgeable.

• TripleA '12

I wish I knew who he was. Is. Really though.

• @Flashman:

He is, quite obviously, the evil alter-ego of Axis and Allies creator and all-round hard man Larry Harris. His mission in life is to make the real Larry look intelligent and knowledgeable.

I thought he`s your workout-buddy from the gym?

• I’m interested to know how people are playing the US neutral rules.
    In March on this forum thread Krieg (with Larry?) introduced a change (not a clarification) to the wording (and consequentley changing the rule) of the rules governing the US Isolationalism during the first 4 turns. It has been written…_As the United States is neutral before it’s at war, it has no friends or enemies; therefore it may not move units into territories controlled by other Allied powers.�  It also may not load units onto transports before it’s at war._In the rule book (as I am sure we all know) the rule restricting the US mobilization refers only to Central Power controlled/contested territories. Which opens up a lot of questions and exploits for the US player (eg. can they mobilize units in an Allied territory thus being activated if the CP player attacked that territory on a subsequent turn?).
    But, I suppose this rule has be officially changed, or an error in the syntax of the rulebook has been officially corrected? Either way, if one didn’t read any of these boards one would never know. Which brings me back to my question.
    Do most of you play the US Isolationism rule as it is written in the rulebook or as Krieg has written here on this thread?
    Another related question I have as a follow on is;  can the US activate a neutral territory before they are in the war? I see the clarification about them representing the neutral defence force but can the US player (for example) attack Denmark before entering the war? Provided it is still neutral they would not be moving into or attacking a CP controlled/contested territory or an Allied controlled/contested territory. (I do realize they would have to load troops onto a transport to do this and if that is restricted I guess by default they could not do this). BUT under the Isolationism rules as they are written I think this would be an exploit not accounted for in the current rules correct?

• @elrojo33:

I’m interested to know how people are playing the US neutral rules.
    In March on this forum thread Krieg (with Larry?) introduced a change (not a clarification) to the wording (and consequentley changing the rule) of the rules governing the US Isolationalism during the first 4 turns. It has been written…_As the United States is neutral before it’s at war, it has no friends or enemies; therefore it may not move units into territories controlled by other Allied powers.�  It also may not load units onto transports before it’s at war._In the rule book (as I am sure we all know) the rule restricting the US mobilization refers only to Central Power controlled/contested territories. Which opens up a lot of questions and exploits for the US player (eg. can they mobilize units in an Allied territory thus being activated if the CP player attacked that territory on a subsequent turn?).
    But, I suppose this rule has be officially changed, or an error in the syntax of the rulebook has been officially corrected? Either way, if one didn’t read any of these boards one would never know. Which brings me back to my question.
    Do most of you play the US Isolationism rule as it is written in the rulebook or as Krieg has written here on this thread?
    Another related question I have as a follow on is; � can the US activate a neutral territory before they are in the war? I see the clarification about them representing the neutral defence force but can the US player (for example) attack Denmark before entering the war? Provided it is still neutral they would not be moving into or attacking a CP controlled/contested territory or an Allied controlled/contested territory. (I do realize they would have to load troops onto a transport to do this and if that is restricted I guess by default they could not do this). BUT under the Isolationism rules as they are written I think this would be an exploit not accounted for in the current rules correct?

I asked the same question. Krieghund said the new US rules, among others are official. See page 14 of the FAQ/Questions and Answers thread of the WWI/1914 thread for all the updated rules. I don’t believe it was an error in the rulebook, but rather a change to the rules. My guess is, this gave the Allies too much of an advantage and therefore the rules were changed, based on play testing feedback from players. I’m playing my first WWI/1914 game now(I’m playing w/the new rules). I generally play w/the latest rules, as I’ve found that the latest rules are based on feedback from other players, who know better than first time players what needs to be changed based on play balance. Because the US can’t load units onto transports until at war, this wouldn’t allow them to attack Denmark.

• @Flashman:

Correct. The laws of physics tell us there is matter and antimatter, protons and antiprotons, and positive charges and negative charges. This tells us that if a Larry Harris exists, then there must be a Harry Larris.

You’re just wrong about one thing. I am the good alter-ego. I design Christian themed board games that promote the ideals of charity and good works.

• @Harry:

@Flashman:

Correct. The laws of physics tell us there is matter and antimatter, protons and antiprotons, and positive charges and negative charges. This tells us that if a Larry Harris exists, then there must be a Harry Larris.

You’re just wrong about one thing. I am the good alter-ego. I design Christian themed board games that promote the ideals of charity and good works.

And you’re a former member of the Blue Man Group?

Should this guy really be allowed to troll?

• Can you move out from a contested territory… to another contested territory?

• You can only do that if you already had units in the contested territory. See the rule on page 15 under Land Units.

• @Harry:

@Flashman:

All villans think they are the good guys.

• Customizer

How do you know Lucifer isn’t the real Good guy?

Look at the state of the world under the other dude.

• @Flashman:

How do you know Lucifer isn’t the real Good guy?

Look at the state of the world under the other dude.

I’m sure both think they are.

• Customizer

Just to make an official question on a thought I posted elsewhere:

If the Austrian fleet sails into SZ17 but decides not to attack the Italian navy, does the presence of the Italian ships nevertheless prevent Austria from amphibiously assaulting neutral Greece?

In other words, does the Austrian intention to AA Greece make its move into SZ17 a combat move, with the Italian navy obliged to come to the defence of neutral Greece?

• Official Q&A

Units can never be offloaded from transports in a hostile sea zone.

• Question about the new two space movement. Here are what the new rules state :

Axis & Allies 1914 Variant:

LAND UNIT MOVEMENT

All land units (infantry, artillery, and tanks) can move up to two territories. They can move into friendly territories to reinforce them, contested territories to battle for them, or hostile or neutral territories to attack them.

Land units that begin their turn in friendly territories can move up to two territories, but they must end their movement if and when they enter a contested territory. However, they may not move into a hostile or neutral territory unless they began the turn already adjacent to such a territory. In other words, they may move only one space to enter a hostile or neutral territory. Such land units can also be moved by transport, in which case they may either be transported to any territory within range or remain at sea.

Question : It states that Inf, Art and Arm can move up to two territories into friendly territories, contested territories, hostile territories and neutral territories.

#1). What is a hostile territory? I’m assuming this means you’re attacking a territory for the first time?

#2). The rules state, “However, they may not move into a hostile or neutral territory unless they began the turn already adjacent to such a territory.”

This seems to contradict the first sentence. So, can you or can’t you move two spaces to attack a hostile or neutral territory? If not, then Inf, Art and Arm CAN’T move two space to attack hostile or neutral territories, correct? If so, then  it seems the first sentence should be rewritten.

• Official Q&A

Please post this question in the appropriate thread.

• I thought this was the appropriate thread? If not, where is the appropriate thread?

• '16

@Commando:

I thought this was the appropriate thread? If not, where is the appropriate thread?

The new rules are actually just officially proposed rules to try out… To test it out for a future Tournament ruleset

Two-Movement thread:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=31111.0

Tournament Rules thread:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=31187.0

• Why does the rulebook and piece box always say 16 IPC for Ottomans, when the count on from her starting territories is 19 IPC?

How can they make typo’s for something like this? Do they even have a guy to proof these things?  WTH

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m