What exactly are tanks good for?

• Customizer

Mmm, it does seem late given American entry is a turn earlier.

I might HR that the U.K. can build tanks turn 3 (i.e. 1916), everyone else turn 4.

Could even make this a turn earlier, so that the first attack by tanks is turn 3.

• Tanks absorb hits, and tanks absorb IPCs.

• It’s hard to tell without playing the game but given certain scenarios I am sure tanks are far from useless. Yes they are expensive but remember, tanks are useful in there own right.  They can take out neutrals without any causalities saving important pieces that you will need to defend against America.

• The fast that landcombat lasts only one turn makes the tank even stronger.

• 2 hit unit on attack that only takes one spot on a transport.

• Customizer

So is an infantry. And that defends at 3.

@NuclearNebula:

2 hit unit on attack that only takes one spot on a transport.

• He means that when you transport tanks you have three to four"hits" in a single transport.
    IE:  two transports landing 3 tanks and an obligatory infantry can take 7 hits before being wiped out(3 of which are ignored)
    With infantry only there are no free hits, and 4 hits wipe them out.

Bottom line:  Tanks are economical to transport if an amphibious assault is in the plans.

On the note of soaking up hits.  Since a tank is less effective than an infantry in combat, and costs twice as much, it must soak up two hits and still survive before it has “earned it’s cost”.  This means at least two attacking rounds.  If tanks are bought turn 4, and see combat turn 6(assuming it takes a minimum of two turns to get somewhere useful), it would take till turn 8 before a single tank on the board could have earned it’s cost.  I feel the game’s fate may already be decided at that point.

In the end it may only be a good investment for the States and Britian due to the transport advantage, and britain can likely transport them off the factory to a frontline spot in a turn.

My current predicition is that if there is a 2nd edition tanks will either decrease in cost an IPC or gain +1 to attack and/or defense.

• I thought a tank can soak up 1 infantry hit-  if there are 3 tanks and 1 infantry, it only soaks up 1 hit since there is 1 infantry?

• Tanks can’t absorb a hit when coming out of a transport.

• Why not, Einstein ?

• @Razor:

Why not, Einstein ?

Thought Larry made that clear- because they were being beached or transported ashore or something.  ::looking in rulebook::

• My mistake, page 22, tanks can not nullify a hit from the preemptive artillery barrage, but can nullify hits in the following combat as normal.

• @oztea:

My mistake, page 22, tanks can not nullify a hit from the preemptive artillery barrage, but can nullify hits in the following combat as normal.

Got it. Thanks.

• Customizer

In my next game I will move tank production forward:

UK can build tanks turn 2, they go into action turn 3 (1916)

Everyone else can copy the technology and build tanks turn 3, into action turn 4 (1917)

• @Flashman:

Everyone else can copy the technology and build tanks turn 3, into action turn 4 (1917)

It sounds like the Allies already have the advantage in this game, why do you want to make the advantage a little bigger?

• @BJCard:

@Flashman:

It sounds like the Allies already have the advantage in this game, why do you want to make the advantage a little bigger?

From turn 3 on you can use black German Infantry of AA40 to simulate stormtroopers with steelhelmets that attack on 3

• On turn 30  you can Use German tiger tanks to represent the superior German technology

• @italiansarecoming:

On turn 30  you can Use German tiger tanks to represent the superior German technology

On turn 100 the US gets the Atomic Bomb and by default wins the game, so the CPs are on the clock!>

• @Imperious:

They negate hits on your units

Thats it - but I ran the numbers through a lil simulation - 2 infantry are better even if one is lost immediately…

• Not all units are supposed to be equal.

Just make them move 2 spaces. Changing the battle board makes the game more messed up.

Moving faster is a value or changing it so the tank soaks up two infantry ( in some cases, depends on where the infantry are in the battleboard)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m