• GameTableOnline will be adding AA50 to it’s list of games you can play at the end of the month, after they finish updating their site.

Can’t wait.  8-)

• I prefer to play on the free Triplea…  and play dozens of different games on Triplea.  People still play on GTO?

• '16

@BJCard:

I prefer to play on the free Triplea…  and play dozens of different games on Triplea.  People still play on GTO?

Yah.
    A lot of people still play GTO…

• Well, the interface on GTO is much nicer looking, easier to use, and you don’t have to download multiple things to play. ;) (Just the one game you are play atm.)

Besides, it’s $4 a month to play as many games as you want to.

So that’s why I play on GTO. I thought I would share it here.

• @TheVenocWarlord:

Well, the interface on GTO is much nicer looking, easier to use, and you don’t have to download multiple things to play. ;) (Just the one game you are play atm.)

Can you edit the map if someone made a mistake and/or add bid placement?

• '16 '15 '10

@TheVenocWarlord:

GameTableOnline will be adding AA50 to it’s list of games you can play at the end of the month, after they finish updating their site.

Will be interesting to see how they draw the map!  The community at GTO will be excited and they should be–AA50 is a epic ruleset!

Are you sure about it arriving at the end of the month?  I see GTO is introducing a new subscription model.

http://www.gametableonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4466

Having played alot of both GTO and TripleA, I agree with BJCard that the playing experience using TripleA is far superior to GTO.

http://www.axisandallies.org/p/10-reasons-to-try-triplea-for-games/

GTO has a terrific community that is clearly part of its continued appeal.

• @BJCard:

@TheVenocWarlord:

Well, the interface on GTO is much nicer looking, easier to use, and you don’t have to download multiple things to play. ;) (Just the one game you are play atm.)

Can you edit the map if someone made a mistake and/or add bid placement?

You can add bid placement.

The game automatically sets limits and the like to prevent such errors. (i.e. takes into account the move of planes between combat and non-combat at 4 spaces, game prevents you from moving further)

It is designed to allow you to play against an AI as well, for your information. So the game is coded to recognize all the rules. Here is the link to the demo for 1942 1st edition:

http://www.gametableonline.com/gameinfo.php?gid=35

Note the AI is not very “smart.” ;) It’s moreso to teach you how the game works. If you do notice an error with the rules, PM RobEng, the Admin of the site.

• @Zhukov44:

@TheVenocWarlord:

GameTableOnline will be adding AA50 to it’s list of games you can play at the end of the month, after they finish updating their site.

Will be interesting to see how they draw the map!  The community at GTO will be excited and they should be–AA50 is a epic ruleset!

Are you sure about it arriving at the end of the month?  I see GTO is introducing a new subscription model.

http://www.gametableonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4466

Having played alot of both GTO and TripleA, I agree with BJCard that the playing experience using TripleA is far superior to GTO.

http://www.axisandallies.org/p/10-reasons-to-try-triplea-for-games/

GTO has a terrific community that is clearly part of its continued appeal.

Well, the online map is essentially the map itself, not a redrawn version. It looks just like the map you would buy.

Yes, GTO will have a new subscription model starting next week. I’m not sure of all the details on it though.

I asked RobEng before if it was AA50 that will be added at the end of the month, and based on all the hints he as given, I believe it will. He’s adding a new A&A game at the end of the month, and AA50 is the only one he has said lately.

I prefer GTO as it automatically prevents you from breaking the rules intentionally/unintentionally, there is little to download (just the game you are actually playing), and the map is the actual map itself and the units look nice (just exactly like the example images in the rulebook).

• I prefer GTO as it automatically prevents you from breaking the rules intentionally/unintentionally, there is little to download (just the game you are actually playing), and the map is the actual map itself and the units look nice (just exactly like the example images in the rulebook).

Its sounds cool enough- get A&A to a wider audience, which I’m all for.  Maybe we can get come converts to Triplea!

BTW- Triplea prevents you from making illegal moves as well.  And what I meant about editing is say I’m Russia and forgot to move my Siberian troops.  It is now Japan’s turn and I ask the Japan player, hey can we fix that?  I meant to move those Russian units.  If the Japan player agrees (almost always do- perhaps the Japan player forgets something later?), you can enter edit mode and fix the unit placement.

Good to know that GTO does bids.  You have to have that when you guys get Global 1940.

• AA50 has been out for 4 1/2 years….
    Almost nobody here is playing it any more
    There was a mass exodus to G40 last fall with the release of 2nd edition rules.

Tell your friends at GTO to come play in the A&A.org leagues

Do you still have to play the whole game in one sitting and deal with timers?

• Good to know that GTO does bids.  You have to have that when you guys get Global 1940.

10 years from now.  If it took 4 1/2 to get AA50, how long will it take to get Global?

GTO couldn’t even get the rules for REVISED right when I was playing it.  Very frustrating that there was no work-around and you basically had to learn to play with the wrong rules.

At least when Triple A doesn’t follow the rules, you can always force it to.

• @Gamerman01:

AA50 has been out for 4 1/2 years….
    Almost nobody here is playing it any more
    There was a mass exodus to G40 last fall with the release of 2nd edition rules.

Tell your friends at GTO to come play in the A&A.org leagues

Honestly I have played AA50 exactly once since the 1940 1st edition games came out.  The entire AA50 game I was like, “And, I’ll buy 4 mech infantry… oh wait can’t…”  “where are the Naval Bases???”  “Wait, tanks are 3/3 and only 5 IPCs?”  “Aircraft Carriers are 14? oh- 1 hit. that’s dumb…”  “Germany has how much money and can only build ten units because only one factory?”

• @Gamerman01:

Good to know that GTO does bids.  You have to have that when you guys get Global 1940.

10 years from now.  If it took 4 1/2 to get AA50, how long will it take to get Global?

GTO couldn’t even get the rules for REVISED right when I was playing it.  Very frustrating that there was no work-around and you basically had to learn to play with the wrong rules.

At least when Triple A doesn’t follow the rules, you can always force it to.

Crazy.

• Hard to switch back and forth.

I didn’t even like to switch between '41 and '42 scenarios of AA50.  Stinking turn order was different, which would really screw me up if I was going back and forth and playing 5 games at a time.  Finally had to go to '41 because nobody would play the better scenario - 1942  :-P

With TripleA you can play games pretty fast.  Lot of people playing G40 TripleA league here right now.  You gonna get into the action, Black Jack?

• '16 '15 '10

@Gamerman01:

They made some improvements.  Basically, if both players agree to save the game (approx 30 cents each when I was last playing), then it becomes a “PBE” game, which allows asynchronous play.  Both players can log on to the PBE game at once and essentially play live.

So there is something similar to save, but no edit.

This was a huge improvement.  Still, unlike PBEM or play-by-forum, asynchronous PBE sometimes gets casualty selection wrong.  This can be a little frustrating for the purist.

PBE is nice, but it doesn’t compare well to TripleA where you can save a file, then play it online, play it by email, or play by forum as you and your opponent choose.

• '16 '15 '10

@TheVenocWarlord:

I prefer GTO as it automatically prevents you from breaking the rules intentionally/unintentionally, there is little to download (just the game you are actually playing), and the map is the actual map itself and the units look nice (just exactly like the example images in the rulebook).

With the exception of the first point (TripleA interprets the rules for us so there’s no cheating), your objections are familiar to me, because I had the same ones when I started playing TripleA.  I was accustomed to GTO but I wanted to try aa50.  I got used to TripleA pretty quickly, and aesthetic preferences became inconsequential compared to the benefits of TripleA features.  Nowadays, I don’t think the GTO map looks any better than the TripleA map, as I’ve gotten used to the TripleA palette.

It’s true that if a map is still beta, TripleA users have to redownload maps (and sometimes the entire program) every 2 months or so to get the latest updates and bug fixes.  But this process takes less time than GTO server updates and/or the process of buying coins and activiating games via GTO.  In GTO’s favor, it is really easy to find an opponent and get a game (live or PBE) started.  But on the other hand there’s only Revised and spring42.

Online Axis and Allied players tend to have a preference for whatever software version they start with, maybe because they associate it with good times.  Perhaps it is because I associate TripleA with good times that I can’t honestly say I think GTO or Battlemap look better than TripleA lol.

Actually perhaps there will be multiple map skins for TripleA maps in the near future.  One of them will probably be a lighter palette similar to GTO or the AA50 Battlemap skin.

• There are already multiple map skins on Triplea… including a battlemap one.

• When was the last time you played on GTO Zh? They have fixed a lot of the issues with wrong causality selection and misdone rules.

Anyway, I’m going to stick with GTO for the meantime. I may look into TripleA at a later point, but my laptop does not like all the downloads. :p

(Maybe I need to look it to it…)

• @TheVenocWarlord:

When was the last time you played on GTO Zh? They have fixed a lot of the issues with wrong causality selection and misdone rules.

Anyway, I’m going to stick with GTO for the meantime. I may look into TripleA at a later point, but my laptop does not like all the downloads. :p

Depending on what game(s) you want to play, you just download triplea and then in triplea you click ‘download maps,’ put in the location (found on triplea forums) and download the map you want- its automatically installed after that.

• '16 '15 '10

@TheVenocWarlord:

When was the last time you played on GTO Zh? They have fixed a lot of the issues with wrong causality selection and misdone rules.

Feel free to go into details….it has been awhile since I played.  When I was playing, asynchronous PBE was still “weakest unit” or “cheapest unit” first on casualty selection.  They were still some spring42 bugs back then, but Krieghund was on the scene helping them out so I assume those have been fixed by now.

@TheVenocWarlord:

You might be surprised how many GTO and former GTO players use it.  For example, the last time I was active on the lobby (like a month ago unfortunately) Hitman and Demandred were often seen in the Global multi games.  Other GTO users are there under different names, as you can play anonymously under whatever name/account you want.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m