• I think any austrian strategy is incomplete without discussion of overall CP strategy…

• @oztea:

I thought I read somewhere that Italy can’t attack on its first turn unless AH has attacked it.
    Sort of like how the US has delayed entry.

That would make sense from a historical perspective.

I think that was an early assumption we made, foolishly knowing that Italy didn’t join the war until 1915 . . .

• Curse our knowledge of history and our assumptions the game will attempt to follow it.

Seeing that Italy had been partial to the Central powers for some time before the war broke out it does seem unfair that they immediately jump into hostilities.
    The US should roll a die on its 4th turn, and can join on a 4 or better.
    Italy should roll a die on its 2nd turn and can join on a 4 or better.
    (roll at the beginning of each turn until you are at war)

This way the CP can’t exactly be sure of your intentions……Will you declare this turn or next?

• I agree that a AH attack into Switzerland on the first turn is a very promosing strategy. It suddenly makes the Western font 3 TT wide for the french to cover, and it allows the Germans to put an entire army on the front lines without it taking any damage whatsoever. You wouldn’t even have to use the AH force against the french after that, you could shift into a mulifront offensive against Italy, who would be hard pressed to hold Venice, let alone their entire northern front.

• I hadn’t actually considered a Swiss attack, I figured 'twould be best to mass an army in Tyrolia and let the German army in Munich take it. With 14 units against 2, it is a virtual guarantee that Switzerland will fall and you’ll have both a German dagger leveled at the Franco-Italian supply line and two Austrian masses menacing Venice.

• Customizer

I can’t help thinking someone in the playtest group figured how vital Switzerland was, and that’s why they gave it such a low value. It practically signposts the CPs to “go here, idiot”.

• I suppose it would have complicated things too much to say that it was the one Neutral that no power could enter and  attack, citing bad offensive terrain.
    Does look like a highly useful back door entrance!

• @wittmann:

I suppose it would have complicated things too much to say that it was the one Neutral that no power could enter and  attack, citing bad offensive terrain.
    Does look like a highly useful back door entrance!

Instead of a rule change they could have just made it impassable like the Sahara if the intention was to prevent either side from attacking them.

• Of course! Forgot we had “impassable” terrain.

• Maybe they made Switzerland so weak because the CP capturing Switzerland to flank the French and Italians was the only way to balance the game. It does seem fairly Entente-skewed from what I’ve seen.

• Customizer

Can’t attacking Switzerland come back and bite the CP’s in the ass? Remember, in addition to opening up a new route into France and Italy, you’ve opened up a new route for France and Italy to counterattack… I think that the number of border territories (read: contested territories) you have open to attack is going to be critical in this game, and I’m not sure opening up a new one to have to garrison and protect is going to be such a good idea. Guess we’ll have to playtest and see.

• Customizer

Thats why I suggest Austria and Germany both put units into Switzerland. Bypass Lorraine; you don’t need it.

Swz should be woth 3, minimum; mobilizing 6 units in defence would have been a major deterrant.

Also a pity they didn’t introduce terrain in this version; Switzerland and Tyrol would be mountain - impassable to tanks, difficult for art.

• In my view, a round 1 attack on Italy is vital, because it crushes an entire 1/3 of the Italian army right away, rendering it impossible for the Italians to group together more units than 14 inf and 4 art in Tuscany. That means no counterattack on the first Italian turn, enabling reinforcement to arrive on AH2.
    The key to success on the Italians front it speed, whereas the battle of the East is a lengthier on. I’m very tempted to make the entire Viennese army march towards the Italians (could be in Rome on AH4), while spending almost all earned IPCs on the Russians.
    One more thing, two planes – one for each front - is an essential first turn buy for AH. The Italians will be helpless against it, as they don’t have money enough to spare – you are thus guaranteed AS. Â

• Customizer

@Flashman:

Thats why I suggest Austria and Germany both put units into Switzerland. Bypass Lorraine; you don’t need it.

Yes, but if you bypass Lorraine, the Frenchies will contest Alsace, depriving you of 3 IPC’s.

I have to admit, I’m taking a sort of an evil delight in reading all these grand plans, like ‘Being in Rome on AH4,’ or ‘Sweeping through Switzerland into Italy,’ all the while knowing that all you pre-WW1 strategists are going to get a rude awakening when the realities of the war of attrition sink in :evil:.

Remember, you only get one combat round, so I think you’ll be lucky if you’re out of Venice by AH4. This is going to be a much slower game, and I’ve pointed out before that it’s going to be less about grand sweeping strategies and more about feeding the meat grinder so the enemy doesn’t get one step closer to your capital. WHICH IS AWESOME!!! :lol: :evil:

• Ossel, will you be using your Fortress America board to simulate Harry Turtledove’s North American Front of WWI?

• House rule: Switzerland gets +D6 infantry if you attack it.

I think the territory should be off limits. 1 ipc was a blunder.
    Maybe there is a special rule for them in the rule book…

• I think Austria will be the key player for the Central powers in determining the game, so she must be handled well. I think we can all agree that Mr. Harris’s opening move for Austria was disastrous to say the least and I can’t shake the feeling that the moves he makes and reports to us has the scent of the auteur about them.

I think the best opening move for Austria, regardless of your overall strategy, would be as follows.

1. All in Trieste and Tyrollia to Venice.
    2. All in Budapest to Serbia
    3. All in Bohemia to Galicia
    4. Viennese forces split, with half going to Budapest and the other half going to Trieste (to hedge bets more or less).
    Initial purchase 6 infantry and two Artillery

• An attack on Romania may be a better move.  Would you rather the Russian’s activate them and have a giant stack there?

• @BJCard:

An attack on Romania may be a better move.  Would you rather the Russian’s activate them and have a giant stack there?

between galician and serbian stack, i think romania can be made into a deathtrap. certainly with aditional air support.

• Customizer

@wove100:

Ossel, will you be using your Fortress America board to simulate Harry Turtledove’s North American Front of WWI?

SOMEONE BESIDES ME IS AWARE OF THESE BOOKS???  :-D :-D

Well, I wasn’t aware of this map, but it looks like it might work. I was actually going to design my own map once this game came out, but yes, I will be doing this variant (Brits for Confederates and I guess U.S. for Yankees).

Might even make a world map with the American Front included, that way the whole conflict can be simulated.

For those who aren’t aware, Harry Turtledove writes alternate history books, and the work we’re referring to is the saga (like, 10 books) he created based on if the Confederacy had won the American Civil War. There are three books on WW1, 3 books on interwar period, and 4 books on WW2. My forum avatar is from one of the WW2 covers.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m