Tanks Special Ability to Remove Defender hits!

• It’s America, they do what they want cause they’re coolz like thatz……that said the American infantry sculpt is simply too good not to use.

• '16

With only 20 IPCs and being at the edge of the map, I think the US would be better off reinforcing the defences of a territory rather than attacking. Plus, they would only be able to afford 3 tanks a turn, as opposed to 6 infantry a turn.

• Founder TripleA Admin

The big problem with the tank special ability is that it only works on attack. If it worked for defense, then it might start to make sense.

• Their cost is a little high. But in large numbers they may tip the scales of certain battles.

• Customizer

I refer people to this earlier discussion:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=29803.0

As I suggested then, I feel that in future tanks will either be powered up (3/4 in attack) or reduced in price (5 IPCs).

I would also consider giving nations a +1 moral boost the first time their tanks go into action; rather like bombing the morale benefits of new weapons often outweighs their material benefit.

• Seems like artillery/infantry will be a better choice than tanks. However, powers like the U.S. and U.K that rely on transports to get troops to the front may benefit from upgrading an infantry to a tank rather than paying for an additional transport.

e.g. artillery (4) + tank (6) + transport (6) = 16
    v.s. artillery (4) + 2 infantry (6) + 2 transports (12) = 22

I wouldn’t advocate that U.S. & U.K. go all into tanks, but it might be a good purchase option for that remainder 3.

• I will have a tank or two in my bigger stacks, but I won’t be buying many of them, that’s for sure.  The idea that I can prevent an Infantry loss or two is pretty nice.

• Customizer

Perhaps the best was of balancing up tanks would be to allow each artillery to promote 1 infantry and 1 tank. That would definately change my attitude to armour, and it doesn’t require changing any of the components.

• Customizer

@Flashman:

Perhaps the best was of balancing up tanks would be to allow each artillery to promote 1 infantry and 1 tank. That would definately change my attitude to armour, and it doesn’t require changing any of the components.

Have we confirmed that this is not the case?

• Customizer

In one of Larry’s reports it clearly states that an artillery can promote an infantry or a tank.

• Customizer

That sucks. Well, tanks are going to get hit with the ‘tweak-hammer’ for sure in the next edition.

• Transporting a stack of Tanks and Artillery wont work either.  AFAIK Larry mentioned in his first game turn walk-through that you you must always have an infantry in a territory where you have land units.

• Yes, always need an Infantry unit with tanks

• Why is the only historical stuff we get the things that are useless, like infantry in every territory or destroyers not being present, while they leave out things like battlecruisers, gas attacks, and the Konigsberg?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m