• Once I gorge myself on OOB, I was thinking of finding some pieces (HBG anyone?) to use to represent all the aligned and minor neutral nations in A&A1914. The idea being that if minor nations are uncontested, the controlling player can bring their forces back up to the maximum of 2X IPC value, with such forces being placed in the minor nation’s capital (which, of course, for most of them is the only territory they’ve got).

For example, Belgium is activated, but instead of placing French units, you place Belgian units (3 Inf and 1 Art). These pieces are controlled by the French as per the game rules, but if they are depleted, they may be replaced provided Belgium is uncontested (place a major power’s marker to denote which player controls neutral power’s forces). Since 2 IPC is not enough to buy anything, I would propose that minor nations may replace one unit a turn, infantry first. This also avoids keeping track of minor IPCs.

Obviously, France would lose the 2 IPC that Belgium would normally provide and so must look to German territory to provide an income boost. Minor nations conquer on behalf of their controlling power, so France would also get income from any Belgian conquests (theoretically possible).

• When would minor powers take their turn? Would it be on the same turn as their controlling power? I’m planning on using 1940 pieces for minor powers (and vice versa)

• Customizer

You wouldn’t need to place a marker - the colour of the tt tells you who controls them.

I wouldn’t have a separate economy for neutrals; rather I would consider them absorbed into their overlord for the duration, certainly for economic purposes.

However, if used in conjunction with my own Production Limits idea (q.v.) it would be possible to place new units in such tts, which could of course represent national forces. The tts would not necessarily have to be contiguous, so France could place infantry in Belgium subject to my proposed limits, as well as Portugal.

Portuguese infantry used British uniforms - in French “horizon” blue, so just buy yourself a 2nd copy and get your paints out…

One possible rule here (for folks who want a longer game…) is that infantry gain a +1 bonus to combat rolls when fighting over their home tt. So it would make sense for Turkey to use its Bulgarian allies to defend Bulgaria itself. However they’d lose the bonus if they fall back to defend Turkey. Maybe they wouldn’t survive long after that; however the bonus applies to attacking units as well, so if Turkey has plans to take back Bulgaria at some point…

We’d also have to consider units in Belgian and Portuguese colonies; it looks like they don’t have any, though we await a comprehensive explanation of rules for these tts.

The simplest way to represent allied units is a small paint job on regulars; maybe a coloured shoulder flash or leg stripe. I was considering doing this for “ethnic” units within empires, for example Austro-Hungarian units would be made up of 6 nationalities to start with. There’d be Polish units in the German , Austrian and Russian armies. Might effect loyalties when the revolutions start breaking out…

• Customizer

I plan on purchasing a hefty amount of these:
    http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/HBG-Battle-Pieces–WW2-Neutrals-Basic-Set--Dutch-Infantry-Soldier_p_791.html
    And these:
    http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/HBG-Battle-Pieces--WW2-Neutrals-Basic-Set--75-7-Veld-Artillery_p_784.html

Matching up the colors as close as I can:
    French Neutrals - Light Blue
    British Neutrals - Ivory (maybe)
    Italian Neutrals - Orange (tempted to use for Holland, but…)
    Strict Neutrals - White or Light Grey
    Ottoman Neutrals - Light Green Perhaps?
    For Russian Neutrals, probably use these: http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/HBG-Battle-Pieces--Russia-Early-War-122mm-M-30-Artillery_p_1141.html and these: http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/HBG-Battle-Pieces--Russia-Early-War-Infantry_p_1140.html

• @Makoshark13:

When would minor powers take their turn? Would it be on the same turn as their controlling power?

Yes, minor neutrals units are treated as fully integrated with their major power’s units, just a different color to add flavor.

• @Flashman:

You wouldn’t need to place a marker - the colour of the tt tells you who controls them.

I was referring to minor neutral nations as opposed to minor aligned nations. Place a British marker in the Netherlands if the British will be controlling the Dutch.

@Flashman:

I wouldn’t have a separate economy for neutrals; rather I would consider them absorbed into their overlord for the duration, certainly for economic purposes.

My original instinct was to give the major power the IPCs for uncontested minor powers, but still allow extra placement of minor power pieces, but thought that might make things too good for the Allies.

• OK. Overnight brainstorm.

Flashman’s right, minor aligned and minor neutral IPC values should be incorporated into the controlling major power’s total, as directed in OOB rules. Minor power units are fully integrated into the controlling major power’s command structure (they move together, fight together, conquer together, etc.) Thus, the minor nations’ pieces are mainly to add flavor to the game for those who want to see distinct Belgian, Portuguese, Serbian, Montenegran, Romanian, Bulgarian, Greek, Persian, and Arab troops on the board.

The twist: when minor powers lose forces, the controlling major power may, during its Purchase Units phase, purchase units for those minor nations it controls whose capital territories are uncontested up to their maximum unit allowance (2X IPC value and only one may be Art, the rest must be Inf). During the Place New Units, these minor power units are placed in their respective capital territories (which, as mentioned, is usually their only territory).

The bonus: This rule allows players to muster new units closer to the action. Let’s say Germany wiped out plucky little Belgium on turn 1. If France is able to drive Germany out of Belgium, France will be able, on a future turn, to build 3 Belgian Inf and 1 Belgian Art right on Germany’s doorstep. Similarly, if Germany overran the Netherlands, when the Allies liberate the Netherlands, the British (who had taken control of the Netherlands when the Germans attacked), could build 3 Dutch Inf and 1 Dutch Art on Germany’s northwestern border. Or even a disastrous Allied landing in Greece, which is seen off by a combined Austro-Greek army and allows Austria-Hungary to build Greek units to help drive the Italians out of the Balkans.

The caveat: A controlled minor nation’s capital territory must be uncontested at the start of the controlling major power’s turn in order to build minor power units. Only the allied major power may build minor power units. A conquering power may never build minor power units (the Germans cannot build Dutch units after conquering the Netherlands).

Control of minor powers: In my conception, the first power to ally with a minor neutral power remains in control of that minor power for the rest of the game. Thus, if the British take control of the Dutch when the Germans attack, and the French later liberate the Netherlands, the British gain the 2 IPC boost and may start churning out Dutch soldiers on their turn (since the Netherlands would be uncontested when Britain’s turn begins).

For fun: Brazil and Siam both sent small contingents to France (Brazil’s arrived after the war and the Siamese arrived in 1918). So, Brazil and Siam enter the war when the US does and each is represented by 1 Inf. Brazil is controlled by the US and and the Brazilian Inf is placed in the US, where it may be re-mobilized if lost. Siam is controlled by the British and the Siamese Inf is placed in India, where it may be re-mobilized if lost. The controlling major power pays replacement costs.

• Customizer

I would limit minor powers to infantry placement after their initial mobilization, and would only use the idea in conjunction with my limited placement rules; in effect they would be treated as any other “home” province of the controlling power, and be subject to the same limitation, other than not needing to be directly connected by land.

More fun bits:

Japan: after it cleared up Germany’s Pacific colonies Japan sent a bunch of destroyers to help the RN in the Med.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Japanese_Navy#World_War_I

Brazil: had a couple of British built dreadnoughts; the Minas Gerais class. These were the most powerful ships in the world in their day, but by 1917 were in a poor state. They were sent to Britain to join the fleet but were refitted too late to fight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_battleship_Minas_Geraes

• @Flashman:

I would limit minor powers to infantry placement after their initial mobilization

I would consider minor power artillery to be provided by the controlling major power (French guns loaned to the Belgians). :-D

• Customizer

French guns should be built in France. If the French player wants to give them to Belgium he needs to move them there.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m