FMGC 2013 - Gaming Convention - GTA CANADA

• The 1 year date has passed, but this years isn’t that far away

• Sponsor

@suprise:

The 1 year date has passed, but this years isn’t that far away

Can’t wait!

• Well, it looks like I am coming!

It’s either that or I just made a $50 donation to the FMG cause.

I was thinking that I could bring all my playtesting material from my work on AA50 and AA40 for all to see a glimpse into how the process works.  A real look at how the sausage is made. :wink:

• TripleA

@Craig:

Well, it looks like I am coming!

I was thinking that I could bring all my playtesting material from my work on AA50 and AA40 for all to see a glimpse into how the process works.  A real look at how the sausage is made. :wink:

please do bring the playtesting material craig.  i’m looking forward to seeing how the playtesting was done.

• '10

@Craig:

Well, it looks like I am coming!

Thanks for coming!  We did get your registration.

This means it must be working and others can now register.

Note that FMGC has it’s own separate Paypal account now that is not connected or related to FMG in any way.

Thanks

Jeremy

• @FieldMarshalGames:

Note that FMGC has it’s own separate Paypal account now that is not connected or related to FMG in any way.

^ this … FMGCon is its own, entirely separate entity now that is not under the control of any single person or business but rather run by a committee with the goal of being financially self-sufficient.  /fingerscrossed!

• Sponsor

@IWillNeverGrowUp:

@FieldMarshalGames:

^ this … FMGCon is its own, entirely separate entity now that is not under the control of any single person or business but rather run by a committee with the goal of being financially self-sufficient.  /fingerscrossed!

It’s “The Field Marshal Gaming Convention” not “The Field Marshal Games Convention”.

• @Young:

@IWillNeverGrowUp:

@FieldMarshalGames:

It’s “The Field Marshal Gaming Convention” not “The Field Marshal Games Convention”.

Confusing ain’t it?  :D

• What is the turn out looking like so far for this con? I registered last year but was unable to attend in the end (I think it was in April last year no?). I hear that the event was a success last year. I am wondering if this year will bring out any WWI 1914 players? I guess I’ll bring my box and find out. I’m looking forward to connnecting with the community and actually getting some games in. I see there is going to be a big RoE table but has anyone ever brought out Flames of War? I’m also curious to see Angels on the table so I hope there will be one.

• It’s too early to tell what the turnout will be tbh.  People are notoriously slow at registering for events.  ;)

That said, there’s no reason to believe that the numbers will not match (or exceed) last years turnout of ~50-60 participants (I don’t have the hard numbers in front of me), or at worst the previous years turnout of ~40-50.

Word is out in more places than ever before.  More games are involved.  We’re hoping to snag a ‘celebrity’ guest attendee or two (no more on that unless we get confirmation of course) and we have not only a tank DEMO but tank RIDES this year.  It just keeps getting bigger and for only the 3rd year in existence FMGCon is already bigger than many other of the smaller gaming events that people travel to … so really, who knows what the turnout will really be is what I’m saying.  lol.

Expect 50+ people this year but we’re hoping for a packed house (100+/- a few).

Flames of war has not been brought to date, no.  For miniatures we’ve had RoE, 40K, Angels 20, Wings of War and Axis and Allies miniatures.  This year we’re adding Bolt Action and Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures (all miniatures games provided by I Will  Never Grow Up Gaming and available for anyone to play without even bringing their own stuff  … except for A&A minis which is brought by a somewhat local A&A mini club).

Plenty of games to choose from (board games, card games, dice games and miniatures), whether you bring your own or not!

• Sponsor

@elrojo33:

What is the turn out looking like so far for this con? I registered last year but was unable to attend in the end (I think it was in April last year no?). I hear that the event was a success last year. I am wondering if this year will bring out any WWI 1914 players? I guess I’ll bring my box and find out. I’m looking forward to connnecting with the community and actually getting some games in. I see there is going to be a big RoE table but has anyone ever brought out Flames of War? I’m also curious to see Angels on the table so I hope there will be one.

A large number of the members that you’ll be meeting at the Cliffside Bunker in May will be attending this event, it’s definitely worth going to especially with you living in the GTA. I myself am only interested in A&A 1940, 1914, ROE, and settlers of Catan, but a lot of the guys at the Bunker are into A&A miniatures, so you’ll have a chance to talk to them on our game day and arrange meet ups if your interested in that stuff.

• We’re hoping to snag a ‘celebrity’ guest attendee or two…

Wait a second?!?!?!?! :-o :-o :-o

I don’t rate as at least a “B”-lister in the A&A community? :cry:

• '10

@Craig:

We’re hoping to snag a ‘celebrity’ guest attendee or two…

You are an “A” in my books….  the biggest AAA “celebrity” that I have ever defeated in Battle  8-)

Jeremy

• @Craig:

Well, if we’re including every gaming community, then certainly you can be a B-lister.  ;)  I wasn’t really thinking just the A&A community though tbh.  We’ve got feelers out to a couple of gaming celebrities.  I doubt any of them will attend, but it’s worth a shot!

Remember, this is a gaming weekend, not just an A&A event.  A&A may have the largest representation in attendance, but it’s far from the only thing happening!

• @FieldMarshalGames:

@Craig:

You are an “A” in my books….  the biggest AAA “celebrity” that I have ever defeated in Battle  8-)

Jeremy

You beat whom???  I don’t remember any such thing!!!

Actually, all I really remember about that game of AA50 was the young guy who was playing Italy kept leaving and coming back.  I remember more about the multiple Acquire games and the Agricola game that we played.  Also, I think we played Cosmic Encounter.

Must have been the Sleeman’s!!!

• The date is still Sept 14-15 right?

• @suprise:

The date is still Sept 14-15 right?

It sure is.

• Sponsor

@IWNGU

In your opinion, what are the top five games that you would consider a must play at the convention?

• @Young:

@IWNGU

In your opinion, what are the top five games that you would consider a must play at the convention?

Ohhh, tough question.  There are so many great games!

If we remove Axis and Allies (any flavor) from the equation and look at the lesser played games only the list may look something like this;

Tsuro
    Tobago
    Ikusa
    Merchants and Marauders
    Dominion

And for the more well known games perhaps add;

Star Wars X-Wing Fighters Miniatures
    Rules of Engagement Miniatures
    Munchkin
    Settlers of Catan

It’s a tough call.  Just looking at the FMGCon library games list it’s hard to pick out a top 5 (or even a top 10)!

• The more I sit here and think about it, the more I can’t decide what “must play” games would hit the top 5!

Oh, the decisions!

Perhaps it would be best to make a list of what games I (Rorschach of IWNGU) would like to play personally at FMGCon 2013?  Of course any top 5 (or 10, or 20) is biased by personal opinion so this is probably the best way to do it;

Tsuro
    Puerto Rico
    Tobago
    Ikusa
    Settlers of Catan
    Ticket to Ride
    Aquire
    Merchants and Marauders
    Carcassonne
    Revolution
    Munchkin/Munchkin Apocalypse/Munchkin Zombies
    Dominion
    Warhammer 40,000
    Rules of Engagement
    Star Wars X Wing Fighter
    Formula D

That’s a pretty big list!  And I’m sure there will be more.  Personally I am avoiding A&A at this years con as we play it fairly regularly anyway and I’d like to take the opportunity to play non-standard games.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m