Preview 1: Setup & The Political Situation

• Sounds like you may be jumping off the band wagon a bit early (too bad). Things like the US being in Europe before a DOW sounds kinda fishy to me. I was one of the first to point that out by the info we were given, but at this point I don’t think it is conclusive (needs clarification, or addressed in a FAQ). I also think that there is a bit more to the Russian Rev rules (same as above to be clarified), because of the new contested territories mechanic. When the Revolution is activated I wouldn’t be surprised to see territories outside of orig Russian lands revert back to previous owner, or be given to the friend/foe who has units in them once Russian units are removed from them (or be up for grabs if left empty). I think there’s more to come on both of these issues (and may even come in the form of rules changes later TBD).

As far as Russian unit placement goes, you have a good point, the game very well could have allowed for Russians units to mobilize in both Petro, and Moscow (UK can mobilize in two places). I’m not sure of where the bulk of the Russian industry was at the time, but I’m sure the region around Moscow was an industrial hub. Much of Pertograd was abandoned at the time of the Revolution as the Germans advanced. I know that Petrograd was the capital when the war started, but preparations were made in 1917 for the government to move (capital), and was moved to Moscow a few months after Lenin seized power in the early part of 1918. The Revolution didn’t happen over night, it lasted for years. I think the “option” of the Russian Revolution in the game accounts for the period of about 1 year, and if Petro was seized (as it can be in the game), then Moscow would have become the capital, and continued to be one of Russia’s centers of industry.

Yes Russia could have been handled differently, but keep in mind that it is an optional rule (that I think most will use). This game is introducing some new mechanics, and I think it is also more of a beginner, or mid level game so simplicity was an issue IMO (hence why the R Rev is an option). As far as The Great War Era, I think this game will help get the focus of many people (young and old) to this nearly forgotten time. They will be googling, and reading for some time (I know I have). Larry’s game designer notes that will be on the first page of the rule book alone gives you some great insight IMO.

• Founder TripleA Admin

@oztea:

The house rule: US can’t move until its at war.

Short, sweet, simple. We should see if Larry would endorse this, or if he intended it to be this way bust some kind of oversight on his part left it out of the rulebook. Another problem is that if the US sits still for 4 turns and adds 80 IPCs of units to it’s army.

Perhaps instead of collecting IPCs as normal the US should collect 4 National Control Markers each turn (each representing 5 IPCs) that can be loaded into transports and sent to the allies.

That would definitely change the game balance. You have to think about playability vs. historical accuracy. Did the Germans blow up ALL of the British boats in 1914? But you have to do that in order to give the Central Powers a fighting chance.

• Customizer

Did the Germans blow up ALL of the British boats in 1914? But you have to do that in order to give the Central Powers a fighting chance.

I’m beginning to wonder; it only seems to delay the British funneling units into France by one turn. The Allies simply build another fleet in SZ8 and calmly go about bridging them over to Picardy. Would Germany be better off keeping it’s subs to hunt down shipping on the open seas?

Unless Germany commits to a huge naval build (which the Allies will be able to at least equal) they have no chance of winning the war at sea,; there needs to be a much bigger incentive for Germany’s U-boats to survive than the rather putrid USW rule.

• @Flashman:

Did the Germans blow up ALL of the British boats in 1914? But you have to do that in order to give the Central Powers a fighting chance.

I’m beginning to wonder; it only seems to delay the British funneling units into France by one turn. The Allies simply build another fleet in SZ8 and calmly go about bridging them over to Picardy. Would Germany be better off keeping it’s subs to hunt down shipping on the open seas?

Unless Germany commits to a huge naval build (which the Allies will be able to at least equal) they have no chance of winning the war at sea,; there needs to be a much bigger incentive for Germany’s U-boats to survive than the rather putrid USW rule.

I liked your IPC bombardment and convoy raider ideas.

• Well there seems little reason to not got for unrestricted sub warfare right off the bat, which is something they probably should have started off doing to be honest. Send the fleet in to take out the British home fleet, take the surface ships as casualties, and then send the subs forth to raid and pillage. Or hit the Americans or turn 2 or three as they build up transports.

• Exactly how did the convoy rules work in Axis Allies Europe?

Weren’t there convoy boxes all over the North Atlantic?

Couldn’t we apply them here?

• @Shakespeare:

Exactly how did the convoy rules work in Axis Allies Europe?

Weren’t there convoy boxes all over the North Atlantic?

Couldn’t we apply them here?

There were “Convoy territories” for lack of a better term that could be denied by German Subs that went through them.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m