G40.2, do u bid for allies? if so…WHY?

• '16 '15 '10

@builder_chris2:

just wondering, do you beleive the allies need a bid in the G40.2 game? and why?

i dont get why they would need a bid in the G40.2.

and if you bid in the G40.2 do you bid in the E40.2 and the P40.2 and if you do…why?

G40 game, yes.  It’s mainly because of the victory conditions.  It’s difficult for the Allies to prevent Axis victory on both fronts–it takes a delicate balancing act from the Allies.  More advanced Allied strats could lead to bids going down later.  But for now the bid is 8-12.

E40 I think favors Allies.  But the game plays well with no bid because its very easy for Allies to make a mistake and lose their edge.

P40 favors Axis by a large margin, so a bid is definitely needed.

• '16 '15 '10

To balance the game out is one reason for giving the allies a bid. To make the allies more exciting is another good reason.

In the global tournament, the axis win a majority of games and the allies have received bids.

Same thing in league, allies receive bids and the axis usually win.

So there is empirical data to back up the claim that bids are necessary.

I understand the criticism that the allies might not be playing well, the problem is that there is no evidence to support that claim. Even with bids the allies are losing, so the allies have to be making substantial mistakes to be losing…

Well said.

• TripleA

USA loses out on 45 ipcs at war, when you combine the boards.

Russia gains 18 inf and 2 aa guns. Egypts gets 2 anzac infantry. So in the long run the allies are losing out when the boards get combined.

Pacific alone is rough. Freaking West USA can get conquered, it only places 3 units when not at war, it is stupid.

• '12

@Cow:

Egypts gets 2 ANZAC infantry…

And don’t forget the fact that as punishment for this, UK loses an Infantry!

• Official Q&A

@Cow:

Pacific alone is rough. Freaking West USA can get conquered, it only places 3 units when not at war, it is stupid.

US ICs all start as majors in Europe and Pacific.

• @builder_chris2:

the pacific side of the g40 game is too weighted in japans favor?!?!? how?!

the set up between the G40 and P40/E40 is EXACTLY the same with very minor differance in 99% of the board.  the big differance is russian units on the pacific map in the g40 that are not in the p40 game.  so in the p40 game japan will NEVER be faced with the possiblity of facing 5 enemies like they can in the G40 game.  also, in the G40 game, the USA (if they dump ALL thier IPC into the pac side of the map) can dump 114 more ipc in the G40 game onto the pacific map by the time their auto DOW kicks in on round 3 than they ever could in just the Pac40 game.  if the USA goes to war on J1 than they can dump 17 more IPC per turn into the pacific (on average) than they can in just the P40 game.

The main difference between the setup is that west USA does NOT become a 50 IPC terr…… that should be a pretty glaring difference

(unless they changed it for P40.2)

• '12

@Krieghund:

@Cow:

We’re talking about Global.  Japan can easily conquer West USA in the stand-alone Pacific where that IC is a major pumping out 10 units a turn, but now with the combined boards you’re down to 3!

EDIT: I can also point out that pre-war, the three USA ICs combined in Global still gives you 1 less unit a turn than you would have gotten from either Pacific or Europe alone.

• TripleA

Oh wow they made it majors to start with, haha, I did not notice this. Been awhile since I played pacific or europe by itself.

Still I remember the pre war money for USA not being so great.

Anyone take over West USA in the pacific by itself? I have a vague memory of doing that a long time ago when the Pacific board first came out before the Europe board was released.

• @Eggman:

@Krieghund:

@Cow:

We’re talking about Global.  Japan can easily conquer West USA in the stand-alone Pacific where that IC is a major pumping out 10 units a turn, but now with the combined boards you’re down to 3!

EDIT: I can also point out that pre-war, the three USA ICs combined in Global still gives you 1 less unit a turn than you would have gotten from either Pacific or Europe alone.

US starts with a 52 ipc income, combine that with the starting units, japan will have a much harder time taking san fran and holding it

• '12

@ghr2:

US starts with a 52 ipc income, combine that with the starting units, japan will have a much harder time taking san fran and holding it

Yes, being able to move the starting units over from the Europe board is about the only thing that will save the US.  So Germany probably has to be in Gibraltar turn 2 with 3 full TTs to force the US to keep just enough in the Atlantic.

• TripleA

USA only makes 17 on the pacific map alone.

I think Japan can take it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m