Preview 0: Release Date March 19

• I want to say 4, 1 seems pretty darn bad for a minor major power like Spain.

• Customizer

Looks like only 1 - same as Spanish Morocco!

I know Spain was pretty backward for western Europe, but it has to worth as much as Serbia.

Spain should qualify for a navy as well; they had a couple of Dreadnoughts, albeit small ones… put them in SZ 14 - they allow belligerents to pass through, but are activated when/if Spain is attacked.

Now we know what the Italians meant by “Mare Nostrum”…

Am I safe to assume that pieces supplied do not impose stack limits; that is Germany can have subs in 5 different SZs. Use a piece of paper with GSUB inscribed thereon…

• @Admiral_Thrawn:

Very cool! I see that Bulgaria is definitely controlled by Turkey. Kinda wish it was by Germany, but no big deal. Interesting that the Adriatic is not it’s own sea zone. How is the mine rule working with the Italian fleet in the same zone as the Austrians? Do they have to fight since they are in the same zone or does the port rule protect them? Is the board cut off? Looks like Madagascar is. A few colors I would change, but overall it’s nice.

They gave Bulgaria to Turkey because of its geographic proximity, same reason they gave Belgium and Portugal to France. Other wise Bulgaria would be a German ally because there’s no way in hell the Bulgarians would let their army go under Turkish command.

If you look closely, there is a line (I think) from the border of Bosnia over to the edge of Rome, so there is an Adriatic but Austria-Hungary can’t use naval support in Albania or Greece without going into Italian mines.

• @Flashman:

So I think I can assume that there is a sea passage around the north.

Russia gets weirder every time I look at it.

Petrograd is now in Livonia!

Karelia is now in Finland, despite the fact that there’s another tt called Karelia with a naval base at Archangel!

Looks like Egypt is the only tt in Africa worth more than 1, which is fair enough, but one wonders why the continent was included at all.

Paris is practically in the Atlantic.

I wonder why SZ 19 wasn’t extended to the western end of Egypt.

Why does the German flag have an iron cross on it - none of the other flags are defaced?

The German flag is their War flag so it is historical

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/SMS_Kaiser_parade_1913-14.jpg

• Customizer

I actually like the colour of the UK units, its much closer to proper Khaki than the previous photo suggested.

Are the French not in purple this time?

Still can’t tell if the Germans are wearing piklehelms or coal scuttles.

What are those cloth things in the bottom corners? I can’t tell what BBs roll when bombarding.

By gum, just noticed that Spanish flag in the western Mediterranean; that must mean that the Balearics are an island tt. Very strange choice when you consider that Crete seems to be missing altogether.

Axis&Allies1914FullMapLarryH.PNG

• Customizer

@Hitlers:

@Flashman:

Karelia is now in Finland, despite the fact that there’s another tt called Karelia with a naval base at Archangel!

Looks like Egypt is the only tt in Africa worth more than 1, which is fair enough, but one wonders why the continent was included at all.

Why does the German flag have an iron cross on it - none of the other flags are defaced?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/SMS_Kaiser_parade_1913-14.jpg

That’s the naval jack…so…technically Flashman is right, although I prefer the flag with the iron cross.

http://www.loeser.us/flags/wwi.html#central

• @ossel:

@Hitlers:

@Flashman:

That’s the naval jack…so…technically Flashman is right, although I prefer the flag with the iron cross.

http://www.loeser.us/flags/wwi.html#central

So it is! Though I too prefer the Iron Cross flag.

• @Flashman:

I actually like the colour of the UK units, its much closer to proper Khaki than the previous photo suggested.

Are the French not in purple this time?

Still can’t tell if the Germans are wearing piklehelms or coal scuttles.

What are those cloth things in the bottom corners? I can’t tell what BBs roll when bombarding.

By gum, just noticed that Spanish flag in the western Mediterranean; that must mean that the Balearics are an island tt. Very strange choice when you consider that Crete seems to be missing altogether.

I’m pretty sure they’re wearing pickelhaubes, I can see a small bump on the ones in Africa. What I can’t tell is if the French are wearing kepis or Adrians, I want to say Adrians.

I too thought it was strange that they would include the Balearics but not Crete and I’m going to be a bit ticked off if Spain is worth less than Serbia or Albania. Sure they were behind but not Balkan state behind!

Plus, Sicily and Sardinia not worth anything but Italian Somaliland is? Sardinia is what unified Italy!

• Customizer

@ossel:

Looks awesome, thanks for the update! :-D

I am a little disappointed by the lack of variety in the sculpts, though. I expected the CP to at least have different tank and plane sculpts than the Allies. In fact, I’m almost certain I read somewhere that that was the case. Oh well, that was only a rendering and we’ll see soon enough!

Here’s what I was thinking of (from Harris Game Design:

Question: Are the sculpts all the same except infantry, or you got two sets of sculpts one for allies and one for central powers?
    Larry: Each major power (eight of them) have their own infantry sculpts. Other sculpts are either allied or Central Power’s artillery, tanks or fight aircraft… and of course the naval lineup.

That wording seems to imply the Central Powers have their own sculpts…but then again, this is from several months ago.

• Customizer

The Caprivi strip is missing, probably to protect SWA from invasion by Rhodesia.

But I’ll always prefer a real map; they’ve clearly built the map around the game, when my instinct is always to build the game into the map without changing history.

What are those pale blue bits in GEA; if they’re supposed to be lakes Nyasa and Victoria they’re hardly in the right place.

Last map update for tonight, it’s way past Flashy’s bedtime.

Axis&Allies1914FullMapLarryH.PNG

• @Hitlers:

If you look closely, there is a line (I think) from the border of Bosnia over to the edge of Rome, so there is an Adriatic but Austria-Hungary can’t use naval support in Albania or Greece without going into Italian mines.

Yeah, I was coming here to say the same thing! :) If you zoom in closely, you can see the faint line that separates the Austrian Fleet from the Italian. Adriatic Sea is separated from the Mediterranean Sea. Good. :)

• Am I the only one seeing $100 MSRP as too much for this? In total this looks to be right about 1942 levels. 12 inf for each power?

• @vonLettowVorbeck1914:

Am I the only one seeing $100 MSRP as too much for this? In total this looks to be right about 1942 levels. 12 inf for each power?

When you consider this is pretty much a 100 year anniversary commemorative game of WWI you’re paying a dollar per year (not so bad LOL).

• Customizer

@WILD:

@vonLettowVorbeck1914:

Am I the only one seeing $100 MSRP as too much for this? In total this looks to be right about 1942 levels. 12 inf for each power?

When you consider this is pretty much a 100 year anniversary commemorative game of WWI you’re paying a dollar per year (not so bad LOL).

It just seems like WOTC should know what people expect by now…and if they wanted to do a sort of introductory WWI game with generic sculpts, they should only charge $50-$60 for it.

• @djensen:

Yup, it’s just a 3D rendering. I’ll have the physical board next week.

Great – looking forward to that, and thanks for the 3D preview.

Is it my imagination or do the tanks look awfully big?  The ones in the A&A WWII games are about the size of a dime, but these ones seem to be about the size of a quarter based on how they look relative to the infantry pieces (though it’s hard to tell for sure in this picture).

• Customizer

No, the tanks are fine.

Its the fighters and artillery that are too small.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m