1940 Global table & painted pieces

• Customizer

Guys,

@CWO:

Great progress!  This project is an interesting reverse-twist on Churchill’s famous wartime remark that “the lights are going out all over Europe” – in this case, they’re coming on all over Europe (and the rest of the world too).

––Pardon me for saying so but the pics look like the lights are Red making a lot of new “Red Light Districts” all over the world. I would have expected the “Great Gargantua” to have said this. Sorry, but I just couldn’t help myself. (GRIN)

“Tall Paul”

• '14 '13

@Tall:

Guys,

––Pardon me for saying so but the pics look like the lights are Red making a lot of new “Red Light Districts” all over the world. I would have expected the “Great Gargantua” to have said this. Sorry, but I just couldn’t help myself. (GRIN)

“Tall Paul”

Ha ha, good one.

• @Tall:

We can also update an old Cold War slogan, and combine it with a reference to the kind of lighting technology that is being used on this table, to produce the phrase “Better LED than Red!”

• Customizer

Guys,

@CWO:

@Tall:

We can also update an old Cold War slogan, and combine it with a reference to the kind of lighting technology that is being used on this table, to produce the phrase “Better LED than Red!”

––“Classic!”  :-D

“Tall Paul”

• '14 '13

Worked on these while training at Camp Parks, CA. Our nights were free, so this is what one does to stay out of trouble. Now that I am back home, I should have all my cities lit and ready for this weekend’s game.

US Naval Fleet.jpg

• @jluna1273:

Worked on these while training at Camp Parks, CA. Our nights were free, so this is what one does to stay out of trouble. Now that I am back home, I should have all my cities lit and ready for this weekend’s game.

That’s a beautiful fleet you have there.  The battleships seem to be painted in a combination of Haze Grey and Deck Blue; out of curiosity, to which one of the US Navy’s numbered camouflage measures does this correspond?  I once saw something similar in a book about the Iowa-class battleships.

• '14 '13

@CWO:

That’s a beautiful fleet you have there.� The battleships seem to be painted in a combination of Haze Grey and Deck Blue; out of curiosity, to which one of the US Navy’s numbered camouflage measures does this correspond?� I once saw something similar in a book about the Iowa-class battleships.

Thanks, I really like how they turned out. I saw this paint scheme on a thread started by Spitfire38. He stated that it was “Measure 22”.

• '14 '13

And here is the link that Spitfire38 posted regarding the paint scheme.

http://abbot.us/DD629/fletcher/camouflage.shtml

• @jluna1273:

And here is the link that Spitfire38 posted regarding the paint scheme.
    http://abbot.us/DD629/fletcher/camouflage.shtml

Great, thanks.

• '14 '13

And all the Victory Cities are lit and ready for this weekend’s game.

Victory City Lights Complete.jpg

• Customizer

That’s awesome one of the best yet!

• @jluna1273:

And all the Victory Cities are lit and ready for this weekend’s game.

Congratulations – great work!  And the timing is nice because the upcoming weekend is the long Labor Day one, which is well suited to long games.

• '14 '13

Can I get some feedback on my Japanese armor? I think I like it, but I am open to suggestions for improvement before I mass produce.

Japanese armor.jpg

• Customizer

Jluna,

––Nice paint jobs, my friend. IMHO painted units add that extra layer of depth to a game that you can totally emerse yourself in. Keep up the good work.

“Tall Paul”

• Customizer

Looks good.

• Customizer

The biggest problem I’ve found with painting is trying to keep them looking realistic but distinct enough to tell units apart for people playing with me that don’t know the difference between a Sherman and a Matilda II. Yeah, I know there’s decals but I don’t even want to go there. LOL

• That’s why I’m resistant to painting mine - I’m always explaining which ship is which as it is. I finally color coded the tips of the ships - not historical but practical.

• Customizer

@Der:

That’s why I’m resistant to painting mine - I’m always explaining which ship is which as it is. I finally color coded the tips of the ships - not historical but practical.

I’m still working on painting. I’m not even going to attempt painting everything.  I’m at the point where the ones I do have painted will be used as “veteran” units. They will be mostly for eye candy and just for fun.

There are some damn fine painters here and I totally respect thier work. However there is no way I’m spending the time and effort to decal units. Unfortunately to realize my complete vision of the perfect Axis & Allies set I’d have to spend a fortune to get all decals I need plus some nicer equipment and tools for painting and modding.

• Don’t get me wrong - I do love and much admire the painted units - they just need to somehow be easily identifiable on the map.

• Customizer

@Der:

Don’t get me wrong - I do love and much admire the painted units - they just need to somehow be easily identifiable on the map.

Oh I know what you mean. Tall Paul and his crew of customizers do quite a bit of that. LHoffman just did a bunch of planes for him that have some great detail and designation painting and decals.

I still love painting I’m just not willing to do all of my mini’s. A few just to pepper the board a little is where I’m setting my goal for now.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m