Waffen SS - Europe/Global 1940

• Customizer

(To be used with Historicalboardgaming.com’s “SS” markers: http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/HBG-SS-Marker-Acrylic_p_763.html)

Background

The SS was a major paramilitary organization of the Nazi party that grew to rival the Wehrmacht in size and influence. In this ruleset, the German player may choose to enhance some of his units by making them into divisions of the Waffen-SS, the front line military arm of the SS. The units will have advantages over normal units, but limitations as well.

Setup

At the beginning of Germany’s first turn, take 3 “SS” markers and place each on an infantry stack with 3 units. This forms an SS division. For the initial placement, if there are more than 3 units in the stack, separate them before designating one as SS. All SS divisions must remain at at least 3 units strength, unless hits are taken in battle.

Expanding the SS

Every turn, one infantry unit may be added to each division if it is based in a zone with an industrial complex. Divisions may not be split up or have units taken from them unless the division has 6+ units, in which case it may be split into divisions of at least 3. When a division splits, the new stack is considered a separate division, and therefore can be added to one unit at a time along with its counterparts. Also, division splitting may only occur in the non-combat move phase.

As the war went on, the SS grew in size and scope. Starting in the purchase units phase of turn 3, the German player can designate 2 stacks of 3 (existing) tanks to be SS panzer divisions. These units can be added to (one unit at a time) just like the infantry divisions.

Advantages

SS units have modified stats, listed below.

SS Infantry attack on 2 under any circumstances. When fighting in Germany, West Germany, or Greater Southern Germany, SS infantry defend on 3.

SS Panzer divisions can attack on 4.

Disadvantages

As mentioned above, SS divisions can NEVER divide during the combat move phase or for tactical reasons, and they cannot exist as a stack less than 3 units. The only exception is if a front line unit takes casualties in combat.

If using my “Operation Valkyrie” scenario (http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30059.0), all SS units are arrested if a zone chooses to comply with the order, and are removed from play until the scenario is resolved. If a zone stays loyal or converts back to loyal, the units are moved back onto the map.

• @ossel:

If using my “Operation Valkyrie” scenario (http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30059.0), all SS units are arrested if a zone chooses to comply with the order, and are removed from play until the scenario is resolved. If a zone stays loyal or converts back to loyal, the units are moved back onto the map.

What I’m wondering about this rule is: exactly who would arrest the Waffen SS?  The police?  By 1944, the police forces in Germany were pretty much under the control of the Nazi Party, if not actual branches of the SS and the Gestapo.  The Wehrmacht?  Since the Waffen SS are elite military units, I’m not sure why they’d quietly lay down their arms and agree to be arrested by the regular army without a fight, especially following the assassination of Hitler by high-ranking army officers.

• Customizer

@CWO:

@ossel:

What I’m wondering about this rule is: exactly who would arrest the Waffen SS?  The police?  By 1944, the police forces in Germany were pretty much under the control of the Nazi Party, if not actual branches of the SS and the Gestapo.  The Wehrmacht?  Since the Waffen SS are elite military units, I’m not sure why they’d quietly lay down their arms and agree to be arrested by the regular army without a fight, especially following the assassination of Hitler by high-ranking army officers.

This is why in my Operation Valkyrie rule, there is a caveat that each zone can decide whether to comply with the order. In the actual event, the Wehrmacht did indeed manage to neutralize the SS in some areas. From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1944_Adolf_Hitler_assassination_attempt):

Meanwhile, Carl-Heinrich von Stülpnagel, military governor of occupied France, managed to disarm the SD and SS, and captured most of their leadership. …. City Commandant, and conspirator, General Paul von Hase ordered the Wachbataillon Großdeutschland, under the command of Major Otto Ernst Remer, to secure the Wilhelmstraße and arrest Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels. In Vienna, Prague, and many other places troops occupied Nazi Party offices and arrested Gauleiters and SS officers.

If you read my rule, it states that if the assassination is successful, the remaining SS units will absolutely fight those allied with the responsible army officers.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m