• After reading about KAF in A&A Pacific, I wonder if a ‘Canadian Shield’ is possible in 1940.

If Japan is clearly going KAF, the USA will build heavy in Pacific-  And if Germany feints Sealion and instead takes Ireland Turn 3.  Could set up 10+ full german transports that can land in Canada turn 4 with a Japan taking Western Canada en masse.  Not sure the USA would be able to stop both of those attacks… ? \

• @BJCard:

After reading about KAF in A&A Pacific, I wonder if a ‘Canadian Shield’ is possible in 1940.

If Japan is clearly going KAF, the USA will build heavy in Pacific-  And if Germany feints Sealion and instead takes Ireland Turn 3.  Could set up 10+ full german transports that can land in Canada turn 4 with a Japan taking Western Canada en masse. Not sure the USA would be able to stop both of those attacks… ? \

Isn’t Ireland 3 seazones away from Canada?  You need a turn to naval base it me thinks.

• You are right ireland is three spaces away- huh.  well on turn 3 you could just go out to SZ 103 or SZ 108, but by then the cat is out of the bag.  SZ 103 could land in Central US, Eastern US, or Mexico… If Japan is also poised to take West US… could be trouble for the USA - especially if he builds Navy in Pacific.

• '17 '16 '15

there are lots of germans in Minnesota let the invasion begin

• I would say that a decent Allied player should not fall for this, but on G2 you buy 10 transports for a Sealion feint. In order to distract America, Japan might hit Hawaii on J1 or J2 just to make the US purchase heavy navy in the Pacific. On G3 you hit Gibraltar and SZ91. This sets you up for a G4 Quebec hit or depending on how America purchased you could hit any number of zones.

When America was stuck with only minor ICs before they went to war this was actually a lot more viable. America can easily respond with 10-20 infantry in Central and Eastern United States when your G3 surprise hits.

It’s a very difficult strategy to make viable simple because of the sheer number of troops that the US can pump out turn after turn to destroy your invading force, of which you cannot really replenish.

Unless you can take Washington, don’t expect to hold your ground for more than 1-2 turns.

• '12

@BJCard:

You are right ireland is three spaces away- huh.  well on turn 3 you could just go out to SZ 103 or SZ 108, but by then the cat is out of the bag.  SZ 103 could land in Central US, Eastern US, or Mexico… If Japan is also poised to take West US… could be trouble for the USA - especially if he builds Navy in Pacific.

The cat would be out of the bag anyway as Germany has no real reason to invade Ireland over London.  If you move to Iceland instead you have a nearly unblockable attack on Quebec, but it is probably better to move to Gibraltar.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I saw this once, USA went 100% Pac, The Germans scooped UK.  Then shortly after, used 10 trans + 20 units for a Canada landing, facing a mostly empty US.

US tried to hold on defence, but the centre could not hold… :P

• Before when the Axis had to win on total VCs and not a win on either map I played America once and went full Atlantic.

Japan tried to crack the America shell hard, including a factory in Alaska and a full convoy on the west coast, but they couldn’t cope with the sheer amount of troops on the mainland as well as Anzac biting them in the ass constantly. The threat of a counterattack from the east coast fleet (which easily outproduced the Japanese one due to the distance Japan had to travel) eventually stalled them out and the Allies crushed Italy and swept Africa and France easily.

Fortress America should probably the least viable target for the Axis in any strategy =p

• Read up on what they are doing on a KAF strag on AA1940 Pacific.  I am merely suggesting to couple that with a Germany faking sealion and attacking the USA mainland with 20+ units the same turn Japan is attacking the USA mainland with 20+ units and 20+ planes.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@BJCard:

Read up on what they are doing on a KAF strag on AA1940 Pacific.  I am merely suggesting to couple that with a Germany faking sealion and attacking the USA mainland with 20+ units the same turn Japan is attacking the USA mainland with 20+ units and 20+ planes.

The trick to this, is to go for Gibraltar G2, or sometimes G3, and feign like you are going into the med.  The americans sometimes don’t pay attention and forget that you can reach washington from Gibraltar.  then BOOM you get to land in EUS and CUS. and they are done.  So long as the Canadians can’t liberate them…

• There’s a strategy posted on the Larry Harris website somewhere that outlines a plan in which you can take over America. It was with the Alpha 2 set up in mind, but I think it could still work in Global 2.0 - only problem is, it only works once. Even if you get diced, or stopped somehow once you’ve done it once, it can be seen a mile away and it won’t work. I don’t remember the details - I  was able to pull it off in a game I played a year and a half ago - but it involves Japan sending literally everything they can muster straight across the Pacific at Western USA while Germany was parked off Gibraltor. Italy is used as can openers to pop and boats clogging the Atlantic. Even then it’s not fool proof, but it had a pretty high success rate and was fun to try the one time. If I can find it again I will post it here.

• @Azrael:

There’s a strategy posted on the Larry Harris website somewhere that outlines a plan in which you can take over America. It was with the Alpha 2 set up in mind, but I think it could still work in Global 2.0 - only problem is, it only works once. Even if you get diced, or stopped somehow once you’ve done it once, it can be seen a mile away and it won’t work. I don’t remember the details - I  was able to pull it off in a game I played a year and a half ago - but it involves Japan sending literally everything they can muster straight across the Pacific at Western USA while Germany was parked off Gibraltor. Italy is used as can openers to pop and boats clogging the Atlantic. Even then it’s not fool proof, but it had a pretty high success rate and was fun to try the one time. If I can find it again I will post it here.

I know who posted this strategy and it was funny because everyone on the forums said it couldn’t be done ! Oh but it can :) I believe the germans took c amer and the itslians took canada. the good thing about the strategy was that it still left the option for sealion or moving into the med (not saying that’s a good option but still is). So it’s not really a one time and you are done strategy. I haven’t tried this against the alpha3 set up but not much has really changed too much for it not to be an option. I’ve also seen a PAC win with America not being able to even attack once !! Best part of this game is the options. Don’t follow the “script” and explore your options :). Many ways to win for both sides !

• @Gargantua:

@BJCard:

Read up on what they are doing on a KAF strag on AA1940 Pacific.  I am merely suggesting to couple that with a Germany faking sealion and attacking the USA mainland with 20+ units the same turn Japan is attacking the USA mainland with 20+ units and 20+ planes.

The trick to this, is to go for Gibraltar G2, or sometimes G3, and feign like you are going into the med.  The americans sometimes don’t pay attention and forget that you can reach washington from Gibraltar.  then BOOM you get to land in EUS and CUS. and they are done.  So long as the Canadians can’t liberate them…

This guy know what he speaks!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m