• I did just whip those together. Gas was probably too strong as is.

Ill start a separate tech thread soon.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

What’s wrong with a little G A S ?

How is killing someone with GAS more distasteful, than killing someone with Bombs, Bayonets, or Bullets?

Hypocrites…

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@Gargantua:

How is killing someone with GAS more distasteful, than killing someone with Bombs, Bayonets, or Bullets?

Hypocrites…

Or should I say - Guns, Grenades, and General Motors.

• Customizer

I’d still like to see a few more aircraft types, mind.
    Consider the present model as the early war reconnaissance type, fighting at 1-1. Successive types add greater firepower until you end up with a 4-4 fighter. Mainly this is restricted within air-to-air combat, so it doesn’t seriously imbalance the ground war. However surviving aircraft still get a single roll at their level vs ground. Don’t know yet if aircraft participate in naval battles.

Another approach here is to allow aircraft to level up with experience; that is for each kill in air vs air they move up one level to a maximum of 4 in combat value, including strafing vs ground units.

To facilitate this, you’d need to paint a fuselage number from 1-4 on each aircraft, changing a plane for the next number up if it wins a dogfight.

This depends, though, on the exact mechanics for air supremacy combat, and the number of aircraft pieces supplied.

For example, if air combat is a simple case of each plane rolling a die and hitting on a 1, then leveled up planes are likely to shoot each other out of the sky on a regular basis. But perhaps the dogfights are based on the best roll of a round winning the combat, with mutual destruction not possible.

If we only get, say, 4 aircraft per power, then the system would be rather difficult.

So I might need a supply of suitable scale WWI planes; and national roundel decals for this conflict would be a nice touch.

• Customizer

@Flashman:

Another approach here is to allow aircraft to level up with experience; that is for each kill in air vs air they move up one level to a maximum of 4 in combat value, including strafing vs ground units.

To facilitate this, you’d need to paint a fuselage number from 1-4 on each aircraft, changing a plane for the next number up if it wins a dogfight.

This is a cool idea. I like the idea of units leveling up, and the implementation is not as hard as it might seem at first. I’ve got some rules in the same vein for officers that I use with Global 1940. I’ll probably post them on this forum and Larry Harris’ site.

• @Gargantua:

Hypocrites…

Because if the wind change direction, then you kill your own boys, and that are distasteful

• Planes leveling up would get very, very complicated.
    I want rules players can use with just what comes in the box.

• Customizer

All you need to do is paint a single number on each aircraft piece; you can probably buy some stickers if that’s too skilled for your abilities.

• Customizer

I only want techs that are physically represented on the board, not things I have to remember like “Ah, yes, Germany has advanced tanks so it’s units hit on 4 from now on”.
    Ideally, I’d like a different plane model for each level, but numbering the pieces is easier and anyone can do it (apart from Oztea).

Light tanks would be a different model, I plan to use the small pieces from Attack!

• I’d like a different plane model for each level

You don’t need this. The planes got outfitted or retired from service.

For example, when interceptor gear was invented, all planes got it. They didn’t let any planes in combat missions without the latest improvements, because pilots were of more value than the plane.

When metal aircraft frames were used, the advantage in ability immediately made the previous model incredibly obsolete. Meaning the older types didn’t fly and were replaced as new ones came on line. The process was quick like 2-3 months.

So a plane made in 1914 never flew in 1916, unless it had the latest developments.

This is not like WW2, when early war planes still flew for a few years, they did have overlap because the cost of these planes were much greater and more involved technology.

So you don’t need 14 types of fighters, just the one.

At the level of detail, the sculpts look the same for the most part. So you don’t need this.

• Customizer

But I still prefer the models to be immediately identifiable as a 1, 2, 3 or 4 without having to remember which techs 8 different powers happen to have.

I don’t agree that all planes were immediately scrapped when a better plane became available. Planes is some theatres, without much enemy air competition, could do very nicely with models obsolete on the western front.

By the way, is it definite that a plane always ends it move where it fights - it cannot move one, fight, then move back to a safe area behind the line?

It also it seems that they cannot fight at all without being part of a general attack involving infantry.

• But I still prefer the models to be immediately identifiable as a 1, 2, 3 or 4 without having to remember which techs 8 different powers happen to have.

But when model 2 comes out, they retired or retrofitted model 1 to include the new technology. When model 3 comes out, they retired or retrofitted model 2 to include the new technology. ETC.

They didn’t have those paper mache planes in use, it would be like purposely killing your own pilots if they faced all metal aircraft frames. They would rather put the more valuable pilot in the newer plane. In some theaters which had very few planes, they might have used older planes but this is the exception rather than the rule.

Go check on this, planes in 1914 with no improvements were not used against planes with advanced equipment. IN those days the planes were relatively cheap to produce.

• Customizer

My point is I don’t want to have to remember which country has what level of aircraft - I’d like a simple method of marking units as 1-4, even if all planes of a nation are upgraded when they get the tech.

• I don’t want to have to explain stickers and markers and levels for fighters to my friends I play with.

I want it to be like Jets. Thats simple.
    Planes are 1/1/2. Get the tech they are 2/2/3.
    No drawing all over my plastic, no searching for “the right one”
    Is that plane level 3.2 or level 3.7, I can’t tell….

A or B is all we need. Lets not overcomplicate this to the point of insanity.

• Customizer

Having to remember who has what tech for eight players is a lot more complicated than having numbers on the units.

• '16

Have a tech chart, with the roundel of the player on the tech(s) they’ve obtained.
    Not so complicated.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m