• The Chaos theory states that there is order in all randomness. Simple non-linear equations can explain complex systems.

The Chaos theory also states that many complex theories and scientific laws are flawed. Why? Because they have randomness purposefully built into them . This randomness adds complexity to the equation and system, which can screw up the calculations.

People are applying the Chaos theory to almost every facet of life, from the Economy to Biology to Geometry. What do you guys think about it? There has been a lot of controversy over the Chaos theory in the past few decades. Math-wizzes do not like nonlinear equations, as they can not be truely solved.

• We’re often faced with problems that are non-solvable. NP-Complete is the term, the travelling salesman problem is a classic example. In these situations one must come close. Better is the enemy of good enough. Often a bit of chaos theory applied can help approximate an answer.

Weather is a great example, far to hard to determinasticaly model it, gotta have chaos theory.

BB

• Reality is nonlinear, there are too many examples in everyday life. Chaos fits well into this…

• @BigBlocky:

We’re often faced with problems that are non-solvable. NP-Complete is the term, the travelling salesman problem is a classic example.

Something that ouy might find interesting:

http://xxx.lanl.gov/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0203/0203034.pdf
    http://xxx.lanl.gov/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0205/0205093.pdf

Quantum physics seems to have the potential to solve even NP completes: There are more possibilites through Quantum Mechanics, and some you drop by sticking to close to boolean logic (and thus the qubits).

All only theory at the moment, and very controversial, but very interesting to follow.

Even though i don’t know too much about Chaos theory:
    The Chaos theory states that there is order in all randomness. Simple non-linear equations can explain complex systems.

Do they really claim “all”? That is something that i intuitively would oppose.
    It has proven to be a powerful tool, but i don’t expect it to be appliable to everything.
    There is a randomness beyond chaos theory IMO.

• I think that Chaos theory has a lot to say about my life. Non-linear, defined by randome circumstances. Something to do with women . . . .

• F_alk, dat’s some good stuff. It’s been years since I did my Bsc in Comp. ci. , it’s cool to revist it. I’ll agree that it might solve certain classes of NP-Complete problems but it’s never going to be able to analzye a chess game to ply depth of say 100.

Genetic learning algorithms is an interesting tool for aproximation of NP-complete problems.

BB

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m