Canada for Europe and Global 1940

• I know, I know, I know, give up on Canada already.

I haven’t even received my copy of the game (it’s due Monday), but I’ve read enough forums here and at BGG to know that a number of dedicated Canadianists have been trying to find a way of adding Canada into the game on the grounds that Canada played every bit as big a role as did the ANZAC.

The problem with adding Canada, as far as I can tell from my forum reading, is that it blows a hole in the UK Europe budget, which gives an Operation Sea Lion a greater chance for success. So, how to add a Canadian flavor without dooming the UK?

My proposed solution is to get some miniatures from Historical Board Gaming (what would the world of A&A variants be without HBG) to represent Canadian forces. These forces will replace the UK forces placed in Canada in the initial setup.

Now comes the important part. The Canadian economy will remain integrated with the UK Europe economy. The difference will be that any units the UK builds in Canada will be represented by the Canadian forces from HBG. They will move when the British move, fight when the British fight, and capture territory for the UK. Gameplay will not change because of adding the Canadians, the Canadian units will merely add flavor to the game board to satisfy those of us who hate to see them left out.

So, why add Canada at all then? Well, my proposal goes a bit further, making Canada a backup for the UK. As I envision it, Ottawa becomes the secondary capital of the UK.

If London falls to Operation Sea Lion, Germany receives all of UK Europe’s IPCs, as directed in the game. On the UK’s next turn, however, Ottawa becomes the UK’s capital-in-exile. The UK may continue to collect income and build Canadian units in Canadian territories as it strives to liberate London (of course on the first turn after the fall of London there’ll be no income to spend).

I’m torn whether or not to let a post-London UK build units in non-Canadian territories (provided an IC already exists) after the fall of London. I’m also torn on whether or not to let a post-London UK collect any income from non-Canadian territories. Perhaps divert these to a UK Africa economy run from South Africa or to UK Pacific?

Anyhow, like I said, I don’t even own the game yet. But I’ve been avidly reading forum posts and daydreaming. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I apologize if this duplicates anything already posted and if so, hope you’ll forgive a newbie.

• A lot of people think like you do. I think some house rule it exactly as you say.
    Makes sense.
    Thanks for joining the forum. Enjoy it!

• Canada should be represented as long as people from Canada and Michigan want it.

• Well done IL.
    You know how to treat a new member to this forum: with rudeness and incivility.

• Use grey ANZAC units for Canada and add 2 canadians to UK at setup and an ANZAC fighter in Canada (along with replacing the UK units there and the ships in SZ 106)

Give the UK a new 5 IPC bonus to cover the loss of 7 IPCs in canada
    5 IPCs if no German subs are IN OR ADJACENT TO SZs 107, 108, 117 or 118.

Canada gets 2 bonuses added.
    3 IPCs when the US is at war
    5 IPCs if no axis warships are outside of the baltic or Mediterranean.

• Nice suggestions Oztea.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Here is one version of a “Canada” rule from the old Delta thread.  Delta was a set of additional rules some people were trying to develop back before the final G1940.2 was finalized.

UK Europe government in exile.

The first time London is captured by an axis power, the capitol of UK Europe moves to Ottawa, Canada. The axis power that captures London seizes all IPCs currently held by UK Europe. The United States and Soviet union immediately join the Allies if they are not yet at war. Beginning at the Collect Income phase of its next turn, and as long as the UK government is in exile, it will collect income for all UK controlled territories on the Europe map. The government in exile may mobilize units only in Canadian industrial complexes.

Once per game, at the Collect Income phase of a turn when the UK government is in exile and London has been liberated, the Government in exile may return to London; or it may choose to remain in Canada. When it returns to London, the UK Europe government will continue to collect income for all UK controlled territories on the Europe map and on the following turn it may mobilize units in any UK controlled industrial complex on the Europe map.

• @oztea:

Use grey ANZAC units for Canada and add 2 canadians to UK at setup and an ANZAC fighter in Canada (along with replacing the UK units there and the ships in SZ 106)

Give the UK a new 5 IPC bonus to cover the loss of 7 IPCs in canada
    5 IPCs if no German subs are IN OR ADJACENT TO SZs 107, 108, 117 or 118.

Canada gets 2 bonuses added.
    3 IPCs when the US is at war
    5 IPCs if no axis warships are outside of the baltic or Mediterranean.

Split the Income like UK/India and rename ANZAC to Commonweath

• ghr2. That was what I suggested about 2 years ago.
    Thats the best way to do it.
    Im sure you can dig for some of my old musings on Canada on the forums.

• Thanks for the replies!

Oztea, I think yours was one of the first Canada suggestions I read. I was planning on trying out your variant when the game arrived, but came up with mine as a way of adding a wrinkle to the game instead a whole new power. I totally agree that if ANZAC is a power Canada should be a power, but I was wondering how your variant has affected the UK in terms of Operation Sea Lion? Is that why two Canadian Infantry are added to London?

• @variance:

Here is one version of a “Canada” rule from the old Delta thread.  Delta was a set of additional rules some people were trying to develop back before the final G1940.2 was finalized.

Thanks Variance! I wasn’t even aware of Delta. Time to go down another rabbit hole!

• '12

Welcome wove100 to axis and allies dot org.  Ignore the musing of certain anti-Canadian folk in here.

• Especially the one who posts it on you tube without abandon. :roll:

His name is Scott now because his internet name was easily found to be a hating Canada, so his commentary about anti-Canadian must have been about him…

Note: “This comment has received too many negative votes”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZRGzFVY-dg&lc=Wps-S5MRxMYQPjUkZUqb9mV5RbSxAm_yexWncvRmoaQ

• We have a National Advantage that whenever UK places a non-infantry unit on a Canadian complex, they collect 2 IPC. This gives them incentive to actually build there and thus represent canada’s contribution. 2 IPC artillery are balanced by the fact that strategically UK seldom wants them there.

• @vonLettowVorbeck1914:

We have a National Advantage that whenever UK places a non-infantry unit on a Canadian complex, they collect 2 IPC. This gives them incentive to actually build there and thus represent canada’s contribution. 2 IPC artillery are balanced by the fact that strategically UK seldom wants them there.

This is the best idea I have heard in months.
    The UK DESPERATELY needs another National Objective. It is the only major power with just one, that it promptly loses, never to be seen again.

Im not sure if it would be better to change it to “1 IPC for each unit produced in Canada this turn.”
    Or “3 IPCs for a non-infantry unit.”
    Or “5 IPCs if a unit is produced in canada, and No German warships are in sea zones 106-109 or 116-119”

• Not to be that guy, but we actually use it as a National Advantage, not a national objective (Not a huge deal ,just wanted to be clear), but you have a great point about how similar it is to an NO.

I do miss the no subs NO for the UK.

BTW, thanks for the compliment, It’s good to get positive feedback from someone whose 41 scenario I greatly admire.

• The loss of the no subs bonus really hurt the UK. Makes them a lot less fun. Makes the north Atlantic less of a “theater” and more of just a space filler.

Larry could have changed it to “No Subs in or adjacent to sea zones 107, 108, 117, 118”
    (Place UK control markers in these zones to remind yourself)

OR

German Subs in 107, 108, 117 and 118 can conduct one die of raid damage on either Canadian territories or Scotland/United Kingdom

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@oztea:

1 IPC for each unit produced in Canada this turn

So UK makes use of Canada’s vast natural resources and gets a $1 refund on every unit made in Canada. The catch is they have to build ships and planes a turn earlier than they could if they were building them London, and any cheap Canadian land units will require transports (possibly American).  But its basically $3 a turn they could count on.  I like the realism of UK having to ship things across the Atlantic besides the merchant stuff represented by convoy zones.

You could have it as a national advantage that “all units mobilized in Canada are $1 cheaper” or as a national objective that “UK gets $1 for each unit mobilized in Canada this turn”.  Global doesn’t have any other NAs but whatever.  Its a good rule.

• But 1 IPC might not be enough of an encouragement.
    And 2 IPCs might be too much…. :cry:

• @oztea:

But 1 IPC might not be enough of an encouragement.
    And 2 IPCs might be too much…. :cry:

Just spitballing, but 5 if you place 3 and 3 if you place 2?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m