• Still, there are over 140 million people here in the land area the size of California….seems like it really didn’t do anything to the population.

• @Mallery29:

Still, there are over 140 million people here in the land area the size of California….seems like it really didn’t do anything to the population.

Well, yeah. If there was 1,000 nukes used in a nuke carpet bombing, most of japan would be destroyed and half of asia and the pacific would have a nuclear winter.

• Strange how our media’s shows such indignation on the Hiroshima anniversaries.
    The Hiroshima bombing was completely justified.

#2  Nagasaki is mostly forgotten by our media.
    I personally view that bombing as a bit over the top, when we were basically waiting for Hirohito to surrender.

• @Linkon:

Strange how our media’s shows such indignation on the Hiroshima anniversaries.

I personally view that bombing as a bit over the top, when we were basically waiting for Hirohito to surrender.

Thats so true.

• @Linkon:

Well before the A-bombs were used, Roosevelt’s and (later) Truman’s advisors had come to the conclusion that at least two atomic attacks would be needed to persuade Japan to surrender: the first to prove to Japan that the US had a functional atomic bomb, and the second to prove to Japan that the US had more than just one bomb in its arsenal (and thus that Hiroshima was not a one-shot wonder but rather the first of a potential series of future atomic attacks).

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I wonder how many more people would have died if the Japanese refused to surrender.

• @Gargantua:

I wonder how many more people would have died if the Japanese refused to surrender.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall

“Casualty predictions varied widely but were extremely high for both sides: depending on the degree to which Japanese civilians resisted the invasion, estimates ran into the millions for Allied casualties and several times that number for total Japanese casualties.”

• Casualties would be EXTREMELY HIGH.
    Japan were giving children spears to defend.

• '17 '16 '15

The A bomb was new

Firebombing wasn’t

• Actually, there are no native Americans. Some can be called Earlier Immigrant Americans compared to others.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

In Canada, we call them “First Nations”.

Some people ask why - I tell them, “They were here first, that’s why they have reservations”. ;)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m