• I have some German Infantry much lighter than the deep black of the Global 1940 Germans (I am pretty sure they are from the original 198_ game). (I also have a US infantry the exact same grey color, not sure where that is from.)

I am not trying to glorify the SS or its war crimes at all, but because they had a fearsome and significant combat reputation I thought it would add to realism and flavor to have a buyable Waffen-SS infantry.

Has anyone used such a unit before in some version of the game? I am interested in a little more than just an inf with boosted stats; some kind of special ability would be need, but I have some sort of writer’s block.

What have you used? What do you think would be cool to use?

• Call them ‘elite Infantry’ if Waffen bothers you.

These would be 2-2-2-4 units and limit of 6, with one build per turn. ( If you lose all six, it takes six more turns to get the build maxed)

In combat, they can be boosted by artillery 3-2 unit.

The faster speed is because the SS had their own train transport services.

I would rather the Waffen be represented by the tiger tank mold from 1941.

That would be a 4-4-2-8 unit ( limit six and one build per turn) you also can choose between building from scratch or convert one tank by paying 2 IPC.

The Stalin tanks could form “shock armies” ( same stats and rules as above)

• We actually already use the Tigers from '41 and have stats for them (They are overpowered for their price but the limit is 4). Have you ever used a flavorful special ability for such an infantry?

• Other than the new values, the special ability should be mobility.

If used in combat ( whether or not they won or had to retreat), these units can also move in NCM to any VC or controlled factory. You just move them in NCM

Since they had their own trains, Hitler often redeployed them to other fronts to be used as stop gap forces or other offensive campaigns ( Kursk to Sicily, Eastern front to western front, etc)

It does not make sense to give them or effect them with combined arms boosts except by artillery, so i don’t see any combat special ability.

• I don’t know, I would rather use Fallschirmjäger as the German elite fighting infantry myself.

• @IL

I use the same stats for Tiger Tanks however I have a limit of 2 not 6.  Was wondering do you find that six is a little overpowering (number wise)
    I also allow Panzer Tanks (3-3-2-4) limit 4 build 2 per turn (starting turn 4 in 1940).  So over all I do have a total of 6 special tank units for Germany.

I also use the same stats as the Tiger Tanks for Russia’s KV-1 with a limit of 5.

I do like your suggestion for Waffen SS infantry, I already use Panzer Grenadiers (1-2-1-4) +1 when paired with Tanks or ART (max 6, 2 build per turn).  In your opinion do think having two special infantry unit types for Germany would be over kill?

• You must consider that these types don’t appear till midwar. By the last 2 years of the war, the Waffen units made up about 25% of Heer force pool.

Six can work, but two hardly makes any value to have such a rule. Besides, Russia get to build six as well.

I would allow perhaps 2-3 additional elite mechanized units representing panzer grenadiers

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

These units must be referred to as WAFFEN SS units.

No substitute will do.

I am interested in a little more than just an inf with boosted stats; some kind of special ability would be need, but I have some sort of writer’s block.

Well… :)  Just think about some of the “creative” things the SS did on the eastern front, and I’m sure you will find appropriate special skills.

ideas to consider:

• Convict Batalion, Unit is drafted for FREE.
    • Ruthless, Garuntees the elimination of a single russian infantry + a die roll per combat round(Limit to 4)
    • Pilliage, +1 IPC for every territory they helped conquer that turn.
    • Blow Torch Batalion, these units move 2
    • Versatile, At the Beginning of each round, you can “Morph” your unit into an Inf, Mech, Artillery, or (weakened) armor unit. The unit then operates with that functionality for the round.
    • Blitz with Tanks
    • Unpopular,  -1 IPC from territory that you controlled since the beginning of your turn, that have Waffen SS units occupying them.
  • '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

:-)

• @vonLettowVorbeck1914:

I have some German Infantry much lighter than the deep black of the Global 1940 Germans (I am pretty sure they are from the original 198_ game). (I also have a US infantry the exact same grey color, not sure where that is from.)

A little off topic, but my edition of Axis and Allies Classic had gray German infantry but using the traditional US infantry sculpt and green US infantry using the traditional German sculpt. It looks like your gray US infantry is from the same edition as mine, with its gray US-style German infantry and green German-style US infantry.

(Modified to correct spelling of your (was you’re)).

• @vonLettowVorbeck1914:

(I also have a US infantry the exact same grey color, not sure where that is from.)

Reply #1 of this thread…

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23386.0

…provides the answer.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m