• I was thinking about a rule (maybe just a house rule) that allows Russia to split it’s major ICs (all three of them) into 2 separate minor ICs, mobile industry if you will. It has been stated by a few that no minor on Stalingrad, or Leningrad just feels weird and the Russians certainly don’t have the income to build there, and the majors in both Karelia & Novo might be over kill. The major in Kar handcuffs the Russian forcing them to defend either Kar (major IC), or Leningrad (Spain turns axis) it’s like being between a rock and a hard place. Plus if the Russians start pumping out more then a couple units from Novo to send east (Japan) that also seems weird.

What if the Russians could split their major ICs into 2 minor ICs, and move one. One of them would have to stay in its original space (and be captured w/new revised rules), but the other is allowed to move 1 space in the NCM (each turn) to relocate part of their industry. This would open up the Russians play book, and make playing them much more fun. You could move your industry towards the front, or down to the Mid East in (case of Sea lion), or back away from the German onslaught.

Some guidelines to govern these mobile minors:

1. If you split a major IC, one of the minor ICs must stay in the original territory.
    2. The mobile IC can only move 1 space in the NCM (each turn), and only Russia can move them.
    3. The mobile IC can produce units the turn it moves (NCM is before mobilize units). May retract this one (see # 10 below)
    4. The mobile IC can’t leave Russian red soil.
    5. The mobile IC can produce 1 unit if it is on a 1 IPC territory (is allowed to be on a 0 IPC territory, but can’t produce). If captured while on a 0 or 1 IPC territory it is removed (so there is no question of if the axis can use it).
    6. The mobile IC can produce 3 units again if it gets to a 2 IPC (or more) territory.
    7. The mobile IC can be upgraded to a major if it is on a 3 IPC (or more) territory following normal rules.

Some other things I’m thinking about:

8a) If a mobile IC is moved to Ural (worth 1 IPC) it is immediately upgraded to a 2 IPC territory (collect 2 IPCs from that turn on as long as the mobile IC is there). This gives the mobile IC minor status (can produce 3 units). Much of the Russian industry was moved to the Urals. You can’t build a minor on Ural to raise its income level, only move IC to it.

8b) Maybe even give +1 IPC income to any territory that is adjacent to the Ural Mts that has a mobile IC on it. That would allow those 0 IPC territories to produce 1 unit w/mobile IC on it (see #5 above).

1. You can move up to two minor ICs to any Russian territory, but only one can be used, unless your on a territory worth 3 or more IPCs. In that case then you can produce from up to 2 minor ICs (6 units total). If you move a mobile minor to a territory w/Major then only one can produce (your choice), this could effect SBR as well.

2. Considering not allowing the mobile IC to produce units the turn it moves.

3. Being that Moscow can be split with mobile industry, you could say that the minor IC on the move also holds the Russian government and 1/2 its bankroll (axis can capture the other 1/2 if they take Moscow w/minor IC). This would slightly change how Russia can relocate its capital, and what the axis need to do to squash them.

1. Being that Moscow can be split with mobile industry, you could say that the minor IC on the move also holds the Russian government and 1/2 its bankroll (axis can capture the other 1/2 if they take Moscow w/minor IC). This would slightly change how Russia can relocate its capital, and what the axis need to do to squash them.

I’m not sure I like this rule, it could turn out to be far too good for Russia.  Maybe if they had to wait to a certain turn before they could do this.

I’m just saying I for one, if I ever got stuck playing Russia again ;) , I would split my capital on Russia 1 (1949) and start moving it to near the Ural mountains (far side).  Russia is so big and Germany usually wont pick a  fight with Russia early in the game they are more concerned about Poland, France and the rest of Europe.  Japan can’t attack too early so by time Russia is attacked their new capital would be safely tucked away.

But I have to admit I am picturing little red ICs to represnt these and that picture idea is cool :)

• Yep #10 might be going too far w/roaming capital LOL, but I would like to see Russia have some movement and building options, and they had a contingency plan to move their operations (as the game allows for).

Maybe they can’t split their capital IC until they are at war w/Germany, but are allowed to split the other two majors the turn they declare war on Poland (R1), or Japan.

Only allow the Capital IC to move to territories worth 1 IPC or more so it can’t get to the back side of the Urals? Still allow the Ural territory +1 in income w/mobile IC (making it worth 2 IPCs), but not the others along the Ural Mts (they stay zero).

Could also relocate mobile capital south to Stalingrad or Caucasus if you want.

Could also rule in that once a mobile IC produces a unit it can no longer be moved.

Also allow the Germans to claim 1/2 the Russian bank if they take Moscow as a minor IC, and the other 1/2 goes to the bank (instead of it all going to the bank by rule). Wouldn’t mind seeing the Russians able to take 1/2 their bank with them though.

Anyway thanks for responding, good to bounce things off ppl, and see some flaws WB

• I like the either you move you IC or you use it to build rule.

Im not opposed outright to the moving capital of Russia, but like I said it can’t be done turn 1.  Maybe when Germany declares war on Russia then this rule would kick in.  That might work out a little better.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

These kinds of abilities should only be able to kick in while -at war-

• @Gargantua:

These kinds of abilities should only be able to kick in while -at war-

I would be ok with that, but allow the Novo major this ability when at war with either Germany or Japan. The Kar and Moscow majors only if at war w/Germany (or Italy).

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

I like this too, but agree it should only be allowed if the USSR is at war.

It would definitely make a great optional rule and tested before it’s adopted as official.

If this proves a game buster, perhaps a Trans-Siberian railroad which would allow a certain number of units to be railed (kind of like the old W@W rules) back and forth across Russia. This would allow the Novosibirsk IC to devote some of it’s capacity to the west.

Aside from any of this, a minor IC in Stalingrad should come no matter what.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m