• Sponsor

What happened to Vance? Hopefully his account removal was just a glitch, and that he will be back when it’s fixed.

• Nice guy hope it gets fixed.

• What? If you don’t see his account he removed it.  It might be hard but check threads he was in and see if it is in black text and says guest.

Update: just checked and unfortunately it shows guest, which means he removed it. The software does not cause this.

Sad.

• Sponsor

Is there a way to check his post history to investigate why? He was very active and inthusiastic in his discussions lately, hard to believe he would just leave like that. I was also hoping to see him again this spring at the FMGC.

• You cant search by ‘Guest’ Postings. All his posts still remain, but you would need to just search where you think he might post to trace his last discussions. If he went to FMGC perhaps somebody has his email address?

• Customizer

There is a character by the name of Vancerator who recently joined HGD.com, see if it’s the Vance you seek via PM there.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

(EMAIL AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST) is where all his tripleA dice went

(EMAIL AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST) is where I have recieved emails from him in the past.

–edited to obscure Vance’s email

• Sponsor

Good to know, I will contact him tonight after work.

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 9:53 AM, vance victor maclaren wrote:

I am pissed off. � I might open a new account sometime later when I am
    feeling less pissed off. � The game is just so ����ing stupid I don’t
    want to play it.
    –Vance

http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=9549&start=16

Global is hopeless because of the dice. Its pointless to even try. The game is so tight that if you are playing a good player you only need to get diced ONCE and you lose the game. Just once.

The straw that broke the camel’s back for me was a recent online game in which I (axis) worked hard and got my 8 VCs in Europe as of J8. My opponent, who is a very experienced player, liberated Cairo but I was poised to take it right back and sink his puny fleet so whatever. At this point he made a couple of uncharacteristically careless mistakes, probably because he knew the game was lost and he was just playing it out. What he did was to leave a bunch of American transports off Gibraltar defended by a single destroyer, and to leave Holland under axis control even though I had bombers in Rome. OK so I sent the bombers to sink that but they just rolled 6s over and over until the destroyer shot them down. The Americans unloaded in Denmark, did a suicide run with the airforce to clear Berlin, and of course UK unloaded their 1 transport in Berlin for the great Allied victory!!! That sounds historically plausible now doesn’t it? My opponent claimed that he had been planning this unlikely series of events all along. sigh.

Global would be great if it was a strategy game. It would even be OK if it was a game where you try to not make any mistakes and hope the other side makes one that you are prepared to exploit. But its not that. Playing global is an activity where you roll dice and hope the other guy gets unlucky before you get unlucky. And every little battle is so important that whoever gets diced first loses because apart from bad dice the only way someone can lose is if they make mistakes, and that is rare because all the guys who play it are so good that they really don’t make very many mistakes. The first mistake loses the game, fair enough. But the game is so tight that its more likely that it will be lost to a bad dice roll before anyone actually makes a mistake. So a lot of the time it comes down to dice. I know that some degree of gambling is necessary to keep it from being completely dull and predictable, but a strategy game should be more than gambling. I’m not going to play a game that is impossible to win even if you play really well and make no mistakes but you have bad luck just one time. That’s stupid. It’s also kind of meaningless to win the game just because the other guy got diced first. So I have been finding its not much fun anymore and I’m giving up on it.

I might still play a live game if I could find anyone to play it with and we can house rule to play medium luck or with D5s, but as for playing with regular dice - no thanks. I quit. Maybe the new 1914 game will have different mechanics to it that make your skill and your opponent’s skill have something to do with deciding who wins the game. Fingers crossed.

~Vance

Well that’s that then.

Personally, I thought Vance might have finally found Bunnies P at the end of Gargantua Road.

• Sponsor

Ah yes…. the evil dice gods have shaken his faith. This is a perfect example of why we need a good victory condition house rule, like instead of 8 VCs in Europe, and 6 in the Pacific… how about 13 VCs total for all the axis powers combined, and the Allies only need 2 Capitals.

• Thanks Garg.
    Nice to know he is ok.

• I think the only thing is too allow only Vance the use of loaded dice, so he can stop hating the game when the dice don’t roll well.

The game is all about dice with some strategy to back it up. If the best plans are executed and the dice kill you anyway, don’t blame the game. Supposed to play for fun anyway right?

• Sponsor

That’s why golf is so popular, everyone is searching for the perfect round in an impossible game for perfection.

• Golf?

IMO Golf is where in most cases people discuss business or lost the physical skills of higher exertion. I used to play Football, then Basketball, now just Badminton. I see the pattern and it sucks.

If you only play games for blood and not fun what is really going on is a form of compensation for lack of other things. Of course buy that new Benz, you still living with mommy and going nowhere.

Note im not talking about Vance specifically, but some people who take the game too seriously.

• '16 '15 '10

@Gargantua:

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 9:53 AM, vance victor maclaren wrote:

I am pissed off. � I might open a new account sometime later when I am
    feeling less pissed off. � The game is just so ����ing stupid I don’t
    want to play it.
    –Vance

http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=9549&start=16

Global would be great if it was a strategy game. It would even be OK if it was a game where you try to not make any mistakes and hope the other side makes one that you are prepared to exploit. But its not that. Playing global is an activity where you roll dice and hope the other guy gets unlucky before you get unlucky. And every little battle is so important that whoever gets diced first loses because apart from bad dice the only way someone can lose is if they make mistakes, and that is rare because all the guys who play it are so good that they really don’t make very many mistakes. The first mistake loses the game, fair enough. But the game is so tight that its more likely that it will be lost to a bad dice roll before anyone actually makes a mistake. So a lot of the time it comes down to dice. I know that some degree of gambling is necessary to keep it from being completely dull and predictable, but a strategy game should be more than gambling. I’m not going to play a game that is impossible to win even if you play really well and make no mistakes but you have bad luck just one time. That’s stupid. It’s also kind of meaningless to win the game just because the other guy got diced first. So I have been finding its not much fun anymore and I’m giving up on it.

The objection here is not with Global but with A&A as a game of chance akin to poker or roulette.  I can sympathize but there’s a remedy–play with low luck dice.

• I hope he comes back.

• Sponsor

One thing I don’t get is, why remove your account? you don’t have to visit the site, but if you remove the account, is all the post history gone?

• Exactly. But his posts are visible, though you cant search them by his name.

• Sponsor

but can he restore his account, and get everything back as it was before?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m