Rule clarification regarding submarines

• '16

It doesn’t matter whether the Pro-Axis neutral was activated or not. If Russia has conquered a territory that is Pro-Axis then it will collect the additional 3 IPCs. This only applies to Finland, Bulgaria, and Iraq.

If strict neutrals flipped towards Axis and Russia captured Turkey, Russia would not receive the bonus.

• '12

@ch0senfktard:

If strict neutrals flipped towards Axis and Russia captured Turkey, Russia would not receive the bonus.

Is that something that was clarified in a FAQ?  The rule says original German, Italian, or pro-Axis neutral.  Because of the or in there, I would argue that it doesn’t require the neutrals to have started out as pro-Axis, since strictly speaking it can be interpreted as starting an entirely new category of territories.

• '16

@Eqqman:

@ch0senfktard:

Is that something that was clarified in a FAQ?  The rule says original German, Italian, or pro-Axis neutral.  Because of the or in there, I would argue that it doesn’t require the neutrals to have started out as pro-Axis, since strictly speaking it can be interpreted as starting an entirely new category of territories.

Note the word “original”. It is only talking about territories that start off German, Italian or Pro-Axis.

• '12

@ch0senfktard:

Note the word “original”. It is only talking about territories that start off German, Italian or Pro-Axis.

Yes, but my point would be that the or in there allows the discussion on neutrals to be an entirely new category in which the original qualifier does not apply.  I believe the rules of English grammar allow for that kind of interpretation and you would have to modify it to or original pro-Axis neutral to remove any dispute.

• '16

I understand what you mean. I’m sure the rule is meant for original Pro-Axis, but I can’t really support that.
    We’ll just have to wait for someone else to clarify, I suppose.

• @ch0senfktard:

I understand what you mean. I’m sure the rule is meant for original Pro-Axis, but I can’t really support that.
    We’ll just have to wait for someone else to clarify, I suppose.

Chosen is right.

It means original German, original Italian, and original Pro-Axis and NOT neutrals that have been turned at some point during the game.

• '12

@kcdzim:

Chosen is right.

It means original German, original Italian, and original Pro-Axis and NOT neutrals that have been turned at some point during the game.

I’m sure that probably is the intended meaning of the rule, but the wording doesn’t ensure that it is the only possible interpretation.  Consider the phrase you may select red triangles, squares, or blue circles.  You are not likely to think that the circles are both red and blue, since those adjectives would likely be interpreted as mutually exclusive, but original and pro-Axis don’t fall into that category, so it is up to the reader to decide if they both apply or only one does.

Again, I’m not arguing against what the rule likely is, I’m just saying the wording allows for other readings which are equally valid under English grammar.

• Thanks for clearing that up, I figured that would be the answer and that is how we play, but I just wanted to be 100% sure.  And I agree the strict neutrals are probably not a part of the russian NO.  But can understand how the wording can confuse that.

• how bout this situation.

Japan has a navy in sz 6.  us has 2 subs in sz 16.  Japan attacks the subs with a destroyer and 4 fighters.  the rest of the navy including the transport goes on to hawaii with a transport w/ 1 inf to take hawaii.  Do the subs still get a shot at the transport or no since I am attacking them with a destroyer and planes?

Found the answer to my own question….any surface warship that accompanies a transport negates the shot from a sub at the transport.

• @Fortress:

There’s a million examples. Here’s one: English Channel. UK has a force there, including a destroyer. Germany non-com parks a sub there. US tries to amphibiously assault Holland. The US would need a destroyer in that sea zone to cancel out those abilities of the German sub. The UK units in that sea zone are not part of that battle.

Also, keep in mind that in G40, whole navies can be built into enemy-occupied seazones…

"what do you mean by “G40”

• @rmcbride:

"what do you mean by “G40”

Global 1940

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m