• Note that english isn´t my native tongue
    The following may been heard before. I think there is time for more units and models in A&A and I want to hear what you think about the idea. I haven’t played the game as much as you guys and haven’t played all editions. In fact I have only played 1940 Europe, Pacific and global. Both with “box-rules” and with alpha 2 or something (in which I consider superior to the “box-rules”).

Now to the point, new units and models.
    First; Veteran infantry. A:2 D:2 M:1 cost: 5.
    This unit is supposed to represent elite soldiers of each power. They are better trained, equipped and have a higher morale then the normal infantry. For example the SS Stormtroopers, British Commando or U.S Rangers. Special rules for the Veteran infantry is that if teamed up with a arty the attack value will rise to 3.
    The second unit is Heavy Tank. A:3 D:3 M:2 cost: 9.
    This unit will represent the heavy late-war tanks. Examples are the Soviet Josef Stalin tanks, British Churchill and German Tiger tank. Aside that it function as a normal tank it will rise it’s attack value to 4 if it’s combined with a mechanized infantry OR tactical bomber.

Now comes another “new” rule. To represent some historical accuracy you cannot buy these units before turn 4. As for all I know every turn represent six months of war. By doing so there will be no hevy tanks or veteran infantry before autumn 1941. To make it even more complicated one have to buy a separate “upgrade” for your IC´s. 10 Ipc for Vet Inf and 15 for heavy tank. This will represent the special training for infantry and adjustment in factories to manufacture the new “goods”. The payment for this will be in the “buy your armies-phase” and take effect the next turn. At turn 3 you can buy this “upgrade” and get your new units by turn 4. This is a permanent “upgrade” and will after the payment make you buy Veteran Infantry and Heavy tanks.

Then comes the question; why would i use this crap? Well you don´t need to. There are just small benefits for using there units and in game terms they will problably do no use. But in an attempt to give more dynamic and depth to a great game

Whats your thoughts?

• @Pjor:

First; Veteran infantry. A:2 D:2 M:1 cost: 5.
    This unit is supposed to represent elite soldiers of each power. They are better trained, equipped and have a higher morale then the normal infantry. For example the SS Stormtroopers, British Commando or U.S Rangers. Special rules for the Veteran infantry is that if teamed up with a arty the attack value will rise to 3. […] Whats your thoughts?

My only suggestion would be to call these units elite infantry rather than veteran infantry.  “Veteran” generally just means troops who have some combat experience, or who’ve served in a given war, so it applies very broadly and it doesn’t necessarily refer to troops who are of superior quality.  “Elite” (a term which you used in your own description) fits much better the concept of troops with special training, high morale and (sometimes) superior equipment, and it also fits the examples you gave (like the Rangers).

• Customizer

@Pjor:

The second unit is Heavy Tank. A:3 D:3 M:2 cost: 9.
    This unit will represent the heavy late-war tanks. Examples are the Soviet Josef Stalin tanks, British Churchill and German Tiger tank. Aside that it function as a normal tank it will rise it’s attack value to 4 if it’s combined with a mechanized infantry OR tactical bomber.

Tanks already Attack @3, Defend @3 and Move 2 for a cost of 6 IPCs. “Heavy” tanks should attack and defend @ 4 if they will cost 9 IPCs.
    Also, there has been discussion in other threads that “Heavy” tanks should only move 1, or at least can not Blitz. This is due to the fact that they are so big and heavy. For example: The King Tiger tank was a very tough tank but was also kind of big and cumbersome. Part of that problem was that the engine was underpowered so they just couldn’t go very fast at all. However, if the movement is cut down to 1, perhaps the cost should also drop to 8.

One member came up with a pretty good formula to figure out the cost for land units: Attack + Defense + Movement - 1 = Cost.
    For an example, say Heavy Tanks at 4-4-2-9. This works out perfectly. Attack 4(4) + Defense 4 (8) + Movement 2 (10) - 1 = Cost 9.
    Now try Artillery: Attack 2 (2) + Defense 2 (4) + Movement 1 (5) -1 = Cost 4.
    It actually doesn’t work for tanks since they changed the values to 3-3-2-6. By the formula, tanks should cost 7. Some have argued that OOB tanks should be considered “Medium” and should only defend at 2, which would fit the formula 3+2+2-1=6. Unfortunately, others say if you lower the defense to 2, then cost should go down to 5, which screws up the formula again.
    Personally, I would be fine with Medium tanks at 3-2-2-6 because it also allowes for Tank Destroyer units (currently being put out by HBG) that would switch Attack/Defense values (2-3-2-6).

By the way, this formula does NOT work for aircraft or naval vessels. I don’t know if anyone has figured out a formula for them yet.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m