U.S.A. strategy in the pacific

• Hey guys, would love some fresh input on the USA going west side. I have been playing different A&A 1942 games and embarrassingly have never seen the USA KJF  :cry:

Here are the common issues that I see happen when attempted:

1. How can you ignore Africa? It seems to be an important task and not going there leaves it wide open to the axis. Is Britain expected to take charge of that front?
      2)Splitting your forces works OK in terms of getting troops to Africa but then your convoy is pathetic on the west side
      3)Even when you go full blast west side it seems that Japan can easily defend her waters with ease

Most of what I have read states that you must put all your income on the west coast including your bombers (which surprised me because you ignore your German bombing raids). When doing this do you just go at it with Japan’s fleet or is island hopping where its at.

What can I do for a successful USA KJF

Thanks in advance  :-D

• Did I say something wrong? Can anyone give me some insight to this strategy please  :oops: :?

• 1 (and 2). I find that ignoring Africa is a bad idea. You need a minimum of forces there, unless UK is doing so well it’s completely covered.

If you send US infantry you can send along some air force that can help in some offensive moves, and in the long run they can still fly ahead to help in the Pacific. (a bomber can reach Congo in 1 turn, and it can even reach Australia in the next turn. That gives many options, and chances are that Japan doesn’t see that coming. I’ve had a succesful attack on SZ38 once (to take East Indies) where Japan didn’t realize my 2 or 3 bombers in Congo could make the difference.

An Australian IC can help here too: US helps out in Africa, UK helps with the US fleet (but, Uus IC can be pretty risky).
    Anyhow, i think UK-USA cooperation is important here.

3. Indeed, a Japan that knows how to manouver their fleet can be a pain…

• Part of the problem with the 1942 scenario is how strong Germany is.  She can grow quickly due to her large income base.  The needs of the European Theatre will dictate what USA can do in the Pacific.  As in the real war, Europe was the main target initially.

You may get lucky enough to support the allied effort with only a few transports and an a/c.  The UK royal navy hopefully can pick up the remainder of the slack.  Getting/keeping Africa helps keep UK in the money, enough to fight the Germans.

If the US is going pacific, I would always try to have at least one loaded transport with each battle group.  If you ‘chain’ the groups, the other groups, being set-up as a counter, can often deter any japanese offensive thrusts.  It is not an easy battle, but tying up Japanese resources can be fruitful.

I like getting established in the solomons, and if you wanted to try something agressive against Japan, build an IC in India for UK.  US fighters from sz46 can land in india to support the IC.  Another ftr supply route is sz56 (a/c) to Australia to India.

• I forgot to add that there is one huge difference in 1942 scenario comared to 1941:

The order of play.  Japan is BEFORE the Russians in 1942.  This means Russian movements against the japanese can be covered by allied fighters.  This can be huge when used as part of a KJF move.

Just watch the back door Russia, or Germany can take Moscow!

• @axis_roll:

Part of the problem with the 1942 scenario is how strong Germany is.  She can grow quickly due to her large income base.  The needs of the European Theatre will dictate what USA can do in the Pacific.  As in the real war, Europe was the main target initially.

Yes I agree, most of my games I cannot ignore Europe as the US because Germany gets very powerful. However most of the time if I do go pacific I am always looking to sink Japanese fleets which just seems overwhelming but I will try your advice and position groups together near the islands and work on defence.

Appreciate the input guys.  :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m