• If you are able to have success against Russia on R1 as Germany (Ukraine survived w/FTR and WRus took 3plus inf) and the Russian FTR is in Egypt, try this:

1. Kill UK CA, take Gibraltar
    2. Take Iceland w/1inf
    3. Take Karelia (4inf, 2tanks)
    4. Kill UK BB (2SS, FTR, and CA ), i know said NOT to do this in my noob post, but this would qualify as more complex risky strat)
    5. Kill EUS fleet with 2 SZ9 SS
    6. Hit WRus with everything else (3 tanks, 3inf, 5FTRs, 1 Bomber) (82.4%)

This only leaves Archangel as a spot to land for the UK FTRs if they want to support Russia, but by having the 4inf/2tanks in Karelia (and maybe moving the 2 France and 1 Italian tanks to Baltic), this would provide the UK with no viable landing zones.  This may open you up to KGF (especially if you lose a lot of airforce), but a solid G1 buy could back this up.  This may be too risky as a German player to do, but curious to see how this would end up.  The remaining inf could move up into Belorussia/Ukraine as needed.

• @Mallery29:

If you are able to have success against Russia on R1 as Germany (Ukraine survived w/FTR and WRus took 3plus inf) and the Russian FTR is in Egypt, try this:

1. Kill UK CA, take Gibraltar
    2. Take Iceland w/1inf
    3. Take Karelia (4inf, 2tanks)
    4. Kill UK BB (2SS, FTR, and CA ), i know said NOT to do this in my noob post, but this would qualify as more complex risky strat)
    5. Kill EUS fleet with 2 SZ9 SS
    6. Hit WRus with everything else (3 tanks, 3inf, 5FTRs, 1 Bomber) (82.4%)

This only leaves Archangel as a spot to land for the UK FTRs if they want to support Russia, but by having the 4inf/2tanks in Karelia (and maybe moving the 2 France and 1 Italian tanks to Baltic), this would provide the UK with no viable landing zones.  This may open you up to KGF (especially if you lose a lot of airforce), but a solid G1 buy could back this up.  This may be too risky as a German player to do, but curious to see how this would end up.  The remaining inf could move up into Belorussia/Ukraine as needed.

I know this as the West Russia G1 crush. :)

Why Iceland? I’d focus on sending 2 more inf to Karelia for the G2 counter on West Russia.

• Understand about sending the two to Karelia, but with a transport in Iceland, the CA (and possible SS) in SZ7 and the BB off Gibraltar, it

1. provides more targets for the UK (granted, they can hit all three, but at a great cost BB vs DD/Bomber, CA/SS vs DD/FTR, Trans vs FTR). But this can save the German subs off the EUS coast.
    2. Without Iceland, the only viable place to get planes to Russia by UK2 is to land in Archangel, but with so much in Karelia/Baltic, would you land your planes there?
    3. Without the UK planes, Russia is without support from the outside, and India can’t get those planes either

The only downsides I could see here is the Russian SS would be off Iceland, and if the Allies try to go KGF, then the US could put out ships on US1 (2CVs,DD…have 2 US FTRs land on one CV, NCM CA to EUS), and have those UK FTRs land on UK2.
    The plus side from Japan’s POV if they go KGF is pretty apparent…(the lack of UK FTRs in India will make J2 feasible).

• @Mallery29:

1. Without Iceland, the only viable place to get planes to Russia by UK2 is to land in Archangel, but with so much in Karelia/Baltic, would you land your planes there?

Good question. Most likely yes because that would divert some German units away from moving into West Russia.

1. Without the UK planes, Russia is without support from the outside, and India can’t get those planes either

The only downsides I could see here is the Russian SS would be off Iceland, and if the Allies try to go KGF, then the US could put out ships on US1 (2CVs,DD…have 2 US FTRs land on one CV, NCM CA to EUS), and have those UK FTRs land on UK2.
    The plus side from Japan’s POV if they go KGF is pretty apparent…(the lack of UK FTRs in India will make J2 feasible).

I haven’t considered this situation yet because I’ve never faced this strat so far on 2nd Ed. On 1st Ed. the only way to for the Allies to stop this is to pull back all UK units on Africa/India to Caucasus to stop the German thrust while the UK builds its fleet as fast as it can.

• Realize it diverts German units away from WRus, but that’s one hell of a sacrifice! � God save the Queen!

I wonder if 3Trans/3inf is the right buy to go down the rest of this route then? (As Japan)

• @Mallery29:

Realize it diverts German units away from WRus, but that’s one hell of a sacrifice! � God save the Queen!

I wonder if 3Trans/3inf is the right buy to go down the rest of this route then? (As Japan)

UK can still send fighters through Gibraltar - Caucasus, although now it takes 3 turns to reach Moscow. Another reason why it may not be worth it is that once the UK drops a carrier it will be able to use it as a landing pad.

I like the Iceland move though… it forces the Allies to clear Iceland otherwise ships on the SZ can be attacked by German fighters 3 spaces away.

How about extra armor instead of 2 inf?

• They can’t get to Gibraltar, the first thing I said was kill the CA and take Gibraltar.  So now with Iceland and Gibraltar down, their only hope is to go south of the Sahara or go the long way around the world, but that still takes multiple turns to get to Russia.

• @Mallery29:

They can’t get to Gibraltar, the first thing I said was kill the CA and take Gibraltar.  So now with Iceland and Gibraltar down, their only hope is to go south of the Sahara or go the long way around the world, but that still takes multiple turns to get to Russia.

Operation Fortress Europe 2.0 :)

So far I haven’t really faced a KGF but this sounds like a nice way to secure Europe. Germany could also try to further stall the Allies on the North Atlantic by landing on Iceland on G1 and if the US goes Atlantic and move 2-3 fighters there on G2 to prevent the US into moving into SZ2, depending on the remaining G subs…

• The only way I see this fully working is if Ukraine holds on (for the additional tank from the south and possibly the FTR from Ukraine).  My defense buy in a KGF was usually the Bomber/SS/5inf/2art, but by securing Iceland/Gibraltar/Karelia/WRus on G1, I wouldn’t even need the Bomber, and could buy 4 more inf (or 3 art).

I re-looked at the numbers and see that UK would be safe from a India crush if UK1 was 3FTRs and was able to stack every possible unit.  So J2 India wouldn’t happen for sure, but if Japan had bought 2-3 Transports on J1, they can load up Burma faster than what India can buy, so it would only be a matter of time (3 rounds?) before Japan would have the safe upper hand.

• @Mallery29:

The only way I see this fully working is if Ukraine holds on (for the additional tank from the south and possibly the FTR from Ukraine).  My defense buy in a KGF was usually the Bomber/SS/5inf/2art, but by securing Iceland/Gibraltar/Karelia/WRus on G1, I wouldn’t even need the Bomber, and could buy 4 more inf (or 3 art).

I’d rather only get the bomber (since you can use it also on land, unlike the sub) for the initial buy, regardless of KGF or KJF.

I re-looked at the numbers and see that UK would be safe from a India crush if UK1 was 3FTRs and was able to stack every possible unit.  So J2 India wouldn’t happen for sure, but if Japan had bought 2-3 Transports on J1, they can load up Burma faster than what India can buy, so it would only be a matter of time (3 rounds?) before Japan would have the safe upper hand.

That’s why you need the US fleet to try to draw some of the Japanese fleet away from India… but definitely by all means prevent a J2 capture. Otherwise those Japanese tanks start rolling on turn 4…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m