Best Movie Ever Saw in Theater?

• Customizer

Star Trek II

Inception was a nice one. But, then again, I’m too young and didn’t watch much in theaters growing up.

GG

• @jim010:

Star Trek II

Almost. That was the first time a movie ever made me cry though. But nothing matches:

“Raiders of the Lost Ark.”

I was twelve. And every time I see it again, I’m twelve again in all the best ways of being twelve. That is what every summer blockbuster that comes along has to live up to and usually fails.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

You realize they are remaking Wrath of Khan right?

Benedict Cumberbatch  …    Khan (rumored)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1408101/

• @Gargantua:

Benedict Cumberbatch   …    Khan (rumored)

Why not? Hollywood remakes everything, don’t they?  This is one of the key issues I have with the ST reboot…there are better arcs to take advantage of without ruining a classic like ST2.  While I’m more of a Romulan guy (during the TNG era especially), it only makes sense to have Kirk face off against the Klingons (Kor,Koloth,Kang)…but no, we have NO imagination…I just don’t see how how Cumberbatch could be Khan…I don’t think he’s big enough to be genetically enhanced…I think Hemsworth could pull it off (but alas, he was Kirk’s dad, so that can’t happen).  But can we get to see more of Zoe in this movie (so hot!)?

• Movie experience, it would have to be Star Trek: Generations for me.  I never got to see the originals on the big screen, and I’m one of the few who actually love this movie.  While the whole shields crap bothers me too, having two great Brit actors facing off against one another made it very entertaining.

2nd place would be “Very Bad Things”…. I was with a group of friends and we couldn’t stop laughing from start to finish… (just never held the same humor on DVD though).

Star Trek VI was one of the first movies I remember ever seeing in theatre. It was opening night and I almost got trampled on the way in!

• @Gargantua:

After the travesty (both cinematic and Trek sense wise) that was the first Star Trek movie directed by Abrams I don’t much give a toss. Orci and Kurtzman are writing again and at this point are well established as barely competent purveyors of product cinema. I’ll be missing that one.

It is a shame to because I’ve become an enormous fan of Cumberbatch’s version of Holmes in the BBC “Sherlock” series. Brilliant stuff.

No offense, and as a fan of the trek… I thought the remake was really good?

Albiet, I would have also preffered a new crew/show/universe, as oppossed to rehashing the old stuff, but it was still awesome…

Scotty was incredible. :P

• I really wish they had a TNG movie about the Dominion War. While I like Insurretion to a degree (not saying love it, just was fine with it), they wasted an awesome opportunity.  Part of that was the timing of it with DS9 ending prior to the movie release, they could have done one based off one of the novels (the fight for Betazed, or the Dominion’s attempt to create a wormhole). 
    Don’t get me started on that craphole of a movie called Nemesis.  I’d rather eat my own dingleberries than see that again. 
    The reboot movie was good, but the erasure of TNG/DS9/Voyager by destroying Vulcan pisses me off. 
    I truly would love a new show too, but when (as in timeline) and how they would pull it off would be interesting.  They have an opportunity to do a futuristic TNG era show again based on the new timeline.
    1. Setup 1st season as in the old timeline so you can establish characters.
    2. Work towards the Romulan star going Nova
    3. Season 1 ends cliffhanger like with the Romulan system being wiped out and a “Yesterday’s Enterprise” affect taking place changing the timeline to the new version.
    4.  Season 2 opens up with this new timeline.  I hate to rehash Dominion/Temporal Cold War story lines (loved both by the way), but the show could be with the Federation still at war/conquered by the Dominion and somehow the crew has an idea that things have changed (enter random plot here on how), but spend the next sevearl seasons trying to get the timeline restored while evading the Dominion and/or liberating the Alpha Quadrant from Dominion rule.

• @Gargantua:

No offense, and as a fan of the trek… I thought the remake was really good?

You haven’t decided that it was really good? The stealthy aspects of its mediocrity seem to be catching up to you. I can see why people liked ST:INO but I can’t understand how anyone can claim it was a good movie or good Trek.

Prior comment on JJ Trek. From: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=15562.60

@frimmel:

**I am going to talk freely about JJ Trek. This post will likeley contain spoilers for those who haven’t seen the travesty of cinema realeased in May of 2009.

@ZehKaiser:

Simply put, if you check your geeky baggage at the door when you see this movie, you will likely enjoy it very much and have a great time. That’s what a great movie really is to me.

And this is what angers me the most about the ‘gushers’ with regards to this film. That I didn’t like it because of some kind of baggage.

If you are unable to recognize or are willing to excuse the plot holes and contrivances beyond any sort of set-up more power too you. Good for you, I’m glad you enjoyed the movie.

But don’t make your willingness to accept lazy script writing, shallow characterization and shot for TV cinematography along with lots of overdone camera work to create faux action as some sort of high ground by calling my ability to think critically ‘geek baggage.’ I like me some big effects driven popcorn summer movies but filmmakers can’t abuse their ‘It’s a movie card.’ JJ and company did. That is not geek baggage.

This is the geek baggage– they didn’t take any of their knowledge of Trek from actually watching Trek. They took it all from watching Futarama, or Shatner parody himself or other parodies. If these guys had ‘re-imagined’ Casablanca instead of “You played it for her. You can play it for me. If she can stand it, I can stand it. Play it.” Rick would say, “Play it again, Sam.”

I’ve said my piece and am willing to agree to disagree from here on out.

I can go on.

• Had to be “Aliens” - It was a matinee and it was so cool I actually stayed seated in the theatre and watched it again.

• Empire strikes back, but the one that made me laugh the most and was the most entertaining was: Don’t be a menace while drinking your juice in the hood That was a masterpiece.

• Customizer

Guys,

Since I’m slightly older than some of you I’m gonna “pull rank on ya”.

Back in 1970 when I was 12 years old, my Dad, a WW2 vet who is a big Patton fan and saw him in person twice, took me to see
    Patton

In my opinion Patton is without a doubt the greatest military movie ever made on many, counts. Although the movie was rated “R” for military violence and some “D*mns” in the dialog, I was able to experience this epic with my Dad and older brothers. The theater had a Jeep and several displays out front honoring this great American leader.

Although I was only a “kid” at the time, you must realize that this took place towards the end of the unpopular Viet Nam War.

“Tall Paul”

• Customizer

IL,

@Imperious:

Midway back in 1975’ ish…with something called ‘Sensurround’ which caused the theater to shake when battles ensued.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensurround

My best friend at the time & I saw Midway. We sat in the very front row with the giant
    15-foot wide sensurround speakers they set up being only about 4-5 feet away, but slightly to the side. The best part of the whole movie was how it started with Doolittle’s
    B-25 Mitchells starting up their roaring radial engines before blasting off the carrier Hornet. My entire body was shaking, inside & out, from the sensurround “experience”. WOW,…what a memory!

“Tall Paul”

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@frimmel:

@Gargantua:

After the travesty (both cinematic and Trek sense wise) that was the first Star Trek movie directed by Abrams I don’t much give a toss. Orci and Kurtzman are writing again and at this point are well established as barely competent purveyors of product cinema. I’ll be missing that one.

It is a shame to because I’ve become an enormous fan of Cumberbatch’s version of Holmes in the BBC “Sherlock” series. Brilliant stuff.

Amen and Amen. For whatever else we disagree on, Frim and I are in accord on this.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

My best theater viewing experience had to be LOTR: The Return of the King.

It is probably the best movie I have ever seen, and moved me in so many ways. Man… it was thrilling and saddening… I cried a lot during that movie. And do tear up every time I watch it.

Star Wars Episode III was a close second. It was a great cinematic experience and the capstone of a great movie franchise, even if it had some flaws. The excitement for the events of that film were greater for me than any other I have seen.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

Oh man, “Black Hawk Down!”

The theatre AC was so cold for some reason and I couldn’t stop shaking when they where going into “the Moag”  When that first Little Bird touched down, I was shaking so bad from hypothermia and anticipation, that I had to walk around the aisle a couple of times.  That might make people nervous these days.  Best movie ever!

imagesCA86JIO4.jpg

• Sponsor

“The Doors”

Starring Val Kilmer, Directed by Oliver Stone, all by myself in an empty theater high on acid.

Awesome movie, awesome experience!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m