Can American planes land in Soviet Far east? If Russia at peace with Japan?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

As I recall then CAN, but it’s considered a Russian DOW.

• Surely not Garg. A DOW is before any combat moves of the active player. If US is landing(NCM) cannot be Russian go.

• American planes can only land if Russia is already at war with Japan.  Russia can only declare war on Russia’s turn (unless Japan attacks them on Japan’s turn, obviously)

But…  There is absolutely no reason that Russia should not declare war on Japan on R1.  They don’t need to attack anything, and they don’t mess up the Mongolian rules if they’re at war - only if they attack Manchuria (almost specifically).  Declaring war doesn’t require a combat move.  It also allows them to move into China (which again, doesn’t mess up the Mongolian rules).

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

There is absolutely no reason that Russia should not declare war on Japan on R1.

Interesting… so even though they are at war, if Japan attacks ANY Russian territory beside a mongolian one, mongolia enters?

• Customizer

I like the old rule where the victim of the DOW got 12 IPC. This Mongolian stuff has way to many stipulations.

• @Gargantua:

There is absolutely no reason that Russia should not declare war on Japan on R1.

Interesting… so even though they are at war, if Japan attacks ANY Russian territory beside a mongolian one, mongolia enters?

Yes.  Timguska, Yenisey, Yakut, Bury & Amur.  Though realistically Yenisey and Yakut will rarely be attacked before Japan has already hit one of the others.

On the other side of the coin, Russia cannot help liberate Kansu, Suiyuyan, Chahar, Jehol, or Manchuria without losing the Mongolians.

• Seems unfair they can declare war and not lose the Mongolian troops, but thanks for pointing it out Kcdzim. Russia could still sneak a couple of units in to Western China early on. Might keep the Japanese out of Russia later in a game.

• @wittman:

Seems unfair they can declare war and not lose the Mongolian troops, but thanks for pointing it out Kcdzim. Russia could still sneak a couple of units in to Western China early on. Might keep the Japanese out of Russia later in a game.

Theres a special place in my heart for Russia reinforcing the Burma Road NO for China.

• TripleA

no

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Gargantua:

Yup to both cases.  I usually dont DOW Japan, becuase Japan will do it.  Not that I shouldnt, just dont see a benefit on round 1 yet (although, someone can feel free to enlighten me.)

The funny part of the mongolian rule is that germany or italy can take the territories and japan can reinforce german/italian ones without Mongolian going Russian even if they border Mongolia.  Just trying to figure out a good way to make it hurt the allies….

• Aren’t they still ‘neutral’ neutrals to Germany and Italy? Thus causing all other ‘neutral’ neutrals to be pro allies?

@RedArmySoldier:

Aren’t they still ‘neutral’ neutrals to Germany and Italy? Thus causing all other ‘neutral’ neutrals to be pro allies?

No, Russia is an allied nation that is not yet at war.  It is not a true neutral.

• TripleA

as allies I prefer mongolia to be neutral, it acts as a barrier to the top side.

As allies I dont really care.  Mongolia neutral probably means I have the IPC from my eastern territories, but Mongolia allied means I get the infantry immediately, it just takes a long time to get them where i need them.

I agree, I like the 12 IPC rule better.

• @Cmdr:

@RedArmySoldier:

Aren’t they still ‘neutral’ neutrals to Germany and Italy? Thus causing all other ‘neutral’ neutrals to be pro allies?

No, Russia is an allied nation that is not yet at war.  It is not a true neutral.

I meant Mongolia. If Ger/Ita attacked Mongolia, would it affect the true neutrals?

Yes, if Germany, Italy, USA, England, Australia, attack Mongolia it acts just like a true neutral.

• Yes. They would all become Allied friendly.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m