Naval miniature fever!!!

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

Indeed.  Organizationaly gifted.  I think Don King said that once.

• @KrisBeKreame:

I just set up an ebay and paypal account……Bad Idea.Â

Ebay and paypal, how did we live without these?

Man, I remember sending checks and waiting the “two weeks” for them to clear….or going down to 7-11 and grabbing a money order  god, that seemed so long ago.  From bid to mailbox.  It took like 3 weeks to a month to get your item.

• Hi All,

I am original from SF, but moved to Hawaii back in 2000.  I sure do miss the Bay Area.  Anyway,  I just started collecting and got it bad.  Please pm if anyone is willing to trade extras.  Buying a bunch of bulk lots helped me build my collection to over 200 miniatures, but have a about 60 extra ships.  Now I want to finish it out by swapping if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers…

B.King

Two years later and I’m still loving this game, anyone else new to collecting War at Sea?

• @hkytown1:

Two years later and I’m still loving this game, anyone else new to collecting War at Sea?

Got the box set, have not found someone to fight

• Can’t help you there, Worsham. Can I ask which naval units you got? Or are they always the same ones?

There were two different starter boxes made.  The first in 2007 has 9 random miniatures.  Those sets are still available but pricey, $85 and up.

The 2010 starter has the same 8 pieces, 2 cruisers, 3 destroyers 2 planes and 1 sub.  Much more attainable at around $20.

• Thanks hkytown.

• @wittmann:

Can’t help you there, Worsham. Can I ask which naval units you got? Or are they always the same ones?

I have the original box set. comes with a IJN cruiser and an Australian cruiser.

• Thanks for the answer.
    Bet your boys will love that soon.

I think I’m nearing the end of my War at Sea collection.  I’m running out of pieces that I need.  Aircraft are always useful but I have 3-5 of each plane. This has become much more of a collection then a game. I’m lucky enough to play at least every one or two months.

• That is  good to hear. Well done.

• @hkytown1:

I think I’m nearing the end of my War at Sea collection.  I’m running out of pieces that I need.  Aircraft are always useful but I have 3-5 of each plane. This has become much more of a collection then a game. I’m lucky enough to play at least every one or two months.

you need to get a summer home in Waterloo ontario so you can get ALOT of WAS games in, I have never played outside Waterloo and I have played something like 300 games against 15 different people.

I’m coming up there one of these days/months/years. Such an awesome group of guys you have you have there Az!

• '18 Customizer

Our group still plays fairly regularly here in Fredericton N.B., Mostly the land game and WaS every third week. My collection of WaS is far from complete but its good enough to play compeditively with friends. Its not advanced enough to be able to build power navies like the Condors over Dakota navy and etc but big enough for lots of variey and fun. I will likely never own a Warspite!  :-P

Keep your eyes on eBay FM.  I got one for $21 about a year ago and Variable go this for $26.  The last auction for a Warspite I saw went for $35, still about half of retail.

• '18 Customizer

@hkytown1:

Keep your eyes on eBay FM.  I got one for $21 about a year ago and Variable go this for $26.  The last auction for a Warspite I saw went for $35, still about half of retail.

Is it any good? Is it worth the investment? Just curious.

The Warspite is one of the most highly sought after piece in the game.  A lot of folks like to collect the class limit of a ship and I believe the Warspite had 5 other sisters…Azrael can confirm the true amount.  The best part about her is that she has a one time “long shot 6” which means she can roll a gunnery attack 6 zones away!

Another reason why she is so popular is that she was released in the second set called Task Force. This set only had one printing and is loaded with some classic vessels. Lots of good pieces are in this set and are getting harder to find.  The top most expensive retail pieces come from the TF set. They are;

Graf Zeppelin $60
    Warspite $55
    San Francisco $50
    Yorktown $45
    Massachusetts $40

There are alternatives to collecting the WOTC pieces. Shapeways is a 3D printing company that makes resin copies in the 1/1800 scale that lots of folks use instead of paying the hefty price.  They come unpainted and without a stat card but if your willing to paint it and print a card, you can get one for about $15-$20?? Azrael? If you can get one for under $35, I’d say she’s worth it.

• The warspite goes for soo much because of class limits (5-6 I think) and it was in the set task force which commands the most money.  Its a decent ship but not one that see’s alot of play because it lacks torpedo defence.

If you can paint they are no shapeways for like 20.00

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m