• Here’s the situation : US still owns Philippines. Japan has a sub in SZ35. The US is attacking the Jap sub w/1 Destroyer, 3 FTR’s and 1 Tac. Japan can invoke the kamikaze rule against the lone destroyer. If Japan does invoke the kamikaze rule against the US destroyer, do the 3 US FTR’s and 1 US Tac participate in battle? I think the answer is no but want to make sure before making a decision on the kamikaze rule. If they can participate in the battle, please point me to the rules where it states they can. I can’t see anywhere in the rules where it states they can. Thanks!

• Official Q&A

Per the rules, kamikaze strikes “are resolved before any combat begins”.  This means that if the destroyer is hit by a strike, the attacking force will have no destroyer in the battle, and the planes will be unable to hit the defending sub.

• Just for clarification, doesn’t it also state that Kamikazes can only take place when one of the four islands (phillipines, iwo jima, marianas, or okinawa) are captured or reacaptured.  Since the US still owned the Phillipines and were not recapturing it, wouldn’t that mean that the kamikaze could not be used?

• Sponsor

@elevenjerk:

Just for clarification, doesn’t it also state that Kamikazes can only take place when one of the four islands (phillipines, iwo jima, marianas, or okinawa) are captured or reacaptured.  Since the US still owned the Phillipines and were not recapturing it, wouldn’t that mean that the kamikaze could not be used?

This rule relates to the OOB (out of box) rules set which has since been modified and re-translated through Alpha play test rules. They were eventually transformed into different Kamakaze rules for A&A 1940 Global 2nd Edition. If you are playing OOB rules, it is best to specify such when asking questions.

• Thank you!

• Ok so what is the current rule?

Kamikazes can be used in a territory not owned by Japan?

• I believe they can only be used where there is a kamikaze symbol in the sea zone.  Phillipines is the only non Japanese sea zone that one is located in.

• '12

The current rule is (Pacific rules, page 16): If an Allied player attacks Japanese units in or declares an amphibious assault from one of these sea zones, the Japanese player can announce at the beginning of this phase that he or she intends to launch one or more kamikaze strikes in that sea zone.  They are resolved before any combat begins.

So the status of any land territories adjacent to the kamikaze sea zones has no relevance.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m