Speculating the differences between 1st and 2nd Edition

• Just updated the post with the possible changes brought by the 1941 edition that may also be a part of the new rules for Spring 1942 2nd. Edition.

• For those of you who say ships protect transports, guess you never heard of the Q Ships ?

• @Asterios:

For those of you who say ships protect transports, guess you never heard of the Q Ships ?

You mean the single dozen ships that were armed on WW2, 12 out of an Allied fleet of thousands and thousands of defenseless transports? Yeah, I’ve heard of them :)

• ahh but see if transports can defend themselves, then they would not be easy pickings, but on the other hand I do not believe a transport should be able to take out a ship or such only fighters, like subs only take out naval units, transports should only be able to take out fighters (unless a Q ship).

• Customizer

Subs were technically capable of taking down fighters too yet no one complains about them not being able to fire at aircraft.

A&A is a game of grand strategic scale. And on the grand scale, transports represent absolutely no threat to warships.

• @Asterios:

ahh but see if transports can defend themselves, then they would not be easy pickings, but on the other hand I do not believe a transport should be able to take out a ship or such only fighters, like subs only take out naval units, transports should only be able to take out fighters (unless a Q ship).

Have you checked the operational histories of the Q-Ships? They were a complete failure - that’s why there were so few of them built. Why would you want to add to a game a concept that was tried and discarded? It’s like the IJN’s conversion after Midway of the Ise and Hyuga, two old Battleships, into battleship-carrier hybrids - a failure as well.

• I hope the expanded map for the second edition of A&A 1942 will include more territories, especially in Europe and China.  I think a new 1942 map that more closely resembles the map of A&A50 would be a big improvement.

• Customizer

I think that might be what we’re looking at for this game. Consider the price. If I recall correctly the 1st edition was $40ish this one is supposed to be $60ish. Aside from new sculpts this should be a pretty good game. With all the Global interaction on Larry’s site It’s hard to imagine any thought going into other games but I am thinking that this might be a masterpiece. Global has been touted as that but it’s very complex. Despite the talk of 41 being the most played, in the designer notes, I think this will be the most loved, by us that is, the uber-obsessed. That’s my hope anyway. A game that’s not too long, not too short and looooong on variations to strategy.

P.S. I hear from top men that this game will blow our minds. I can’t wait! This will truly be the year of A&A.

• AGREED

• I hope its just a reprint of anniversary, with tokens for factories.

1941 - Super simple intro game, reminiscent of classic
    1942 - Intermediate game, introduces units like Cruiser and Artillery, as well as concepts like Strategic Bombing and new Industrial Complexes.
    1940 - Advanced game, New units such as Tactical Bomber and Mech Infantry, new concepts like raiding, National Objectives, and Facilities.

• @cebrickey:

I hope the expanded map for the second edition of A&A 1942 will include more territories, especially in Europe and China.  I think a new 1942 map that more closely resembles the map of A&A50 would be a big improvement.

On my calculations, more most of the times doesn’t mean better, I prefer K.I.S.S.

If you look at 1941/Global/AA50 the tendency on Europe has been to make Germany choose between the northern/southern routes, or separating more Karelia/Leningrad from Caucasus/Stalingrad. That may be added to 2nd Ed.
    On China it’s anyone’s guess - they could add 1 more territory to make the Chinese route to Russia be longer but it really doesn’t change much.

• Founder TripleA Admin

On thing is for sure, the map is indeed larger. That’s about all I know right now.

• @djensen:

On thing is for sure, the map is indeed larger. That’s about all I know right now.

Is your statement based on information from the sales flyer or have you received the review copy of A&A 1942 2nd Edition?

• Founder TripleA Admin

You’ll know soon enough.  :-D

• @djensen:

You’ll know soon enough.  :-D

A tease.

• @cebrickey:

Is your statement based on information from the sales flyer or have you received the review copy of A&A 1942 2nd Edition?

Flyer - http://www.axisandallies.org/p/announcement-axis-allies-1942-2nd-edition/  8-)

• The map is indeed bigger - I think a good size, in fact. There is still along the top of the map a place to track IPCs which I think could have been done without.

OOB - no tech, no NOs.

MM

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m