• Oh it makes sense alright, and I understand why they would do it.  But it shows a cynical disrespect for their fan base and a move like that would be in very poor taste.

• I’m thinking the old AA gun is going away. Everyone wave bye bye to the oddest piece in the game. The German AA Artillery will be the 88mm thus German would ‘need’ a new artillery piece. And 21 new scuptors would be awesome. I hope that’s 4 per nation and of course US gets the extra. Plus everyone gets the new AA Artillery.

• Disrespect? Disrespect would be releasing the game without any new content.

I understand where you are coming from, and I see arguments like yours constantly (“I bought my super BMW/Mercedes and the new model has 50 more HP! How dare they!”). Every manufacturer has to differentiate their product from previous iterations, else no one will buy it. Also, it is much more likely that a person will be a repeat buyer than a brand new customer for any given product, as it is a much tougher sell to have someone buy something without any previous experience with the product.

All in all, I’m glad that we have the opportunity to buy 21 new sculpts (I don’t think the 16 and the 5 new sculpts will overlap). Whether we take advantage of that opportunity is up to us. If WotC wanted to release a super 1939 game with 200 unique new sculpts and powers, and charge $2000, I would still be happy, even though I most probably would not buy the product. Opportunities can never be a bad thing, as long as no one forces you to buy the product.

• I think the 5 new sculpts in 1942 ARE part of the 8 unknown in 1941.

The games are being released like 1 week apart and i doubt they did anything except invest in 16 total sculpts and just include 5 of these in the other game to save money. 16 sculpts for WOTC is alot of investment for them. Their is no way the game with 16 sculpts does not include the 5 sculpts in 1942 2nd edition.

• I disagree, IL. Look at the wording in both flyers - 5 “All New” sculpts would not be all new if they appeared in another game. Also, it makes financial sense NOT to put the same mix in both, so that people have an incentive to buy both.

• If what IL guesses is correct then that will be fine (cool actually).  But to sell the 1940 games with cardboard AA guns and then release this thing expecting some of us to shell out $65 just to get real ones would be pretty crappy.  They probably have warehouses full of white AA guns leftover from classic but they are hoarding them for themselves!  (kidding)

• $23 for all the AA guns and factories you need  :-D

http://www.fairplaygames.com/gamedisplay.asp?gameid=6286&Ref=Froogle

• If we go by IL’s supposition that the 5 named sculpts in 1942 are the same as 5 of the unmentioned 8 sculpts, we have:

Confirmed Sculpts:

US

P-40 Warhawk

UK

AVRO Lancaster
    HMS Hood
    “Artillery”
    “Submarine”
    “Destroyer”

USSR

IS-2 Tank
    “Submarine”

Germany

Tiger Tank
    FW-190
    He-111
    "“Artillery”

Japan

Akagi Aircraft Carrier

–---------------

I find this rather unlikely, leaving two powers completely overhauled (UK & Germany) while the US, Japan, and to some extent Russia are nearly untouched. However, we shall see…

• IL i know you probally misspock but the games are to be released 5 weeks apart. June 19th (day after my b-day) and July 27th (x-wife’s b-day)
    With the wording of both ads I think we are getting 21 new pieces plus 5 AA artillery. On the grounds that it’s not all new when it was released a month before.

• But think of the waste of buying the first game and buying old sculpts only to have to buy another game to get 5 more new sculpts…

It seems they are making these games because inventory of parts are totally out of stock ( 1942 is close to being out of stock) , so why would WOTC invest in 10,000 new games with old sculpts if they could for a more economical strategy use the 16 new sculpts and just make two different games that use these parts?

I hope more more sculpts, but WOTC is notoriously cheap and seldom misses a trick to save a buck.

• IL, remember that running parts using old molds is very cost-effective.

• @reloader-1:

If WotC wanted to release a super 1939 game with 200 unique new sculpts and powers, and charge $2000, I would still be happy,

Hell ya! 8-) anyone need a kidney?

• I think IL is right on this. The same scultps are going to be in both of these games. That seems to be what they do. Make a bunch of pieces,throw in a map and rules and voila you have a new game. When those games run out. Call Larry for a new game with rules. Make pieces and here we go again.

• Customizer

Just for kicks, I took a couple of comparison pics with the new pieces from 1941.
    First is Tiger tanks from Table Tactics, The War Game and 1941.
    Next are pieces that are common to both The War Game and 1941: 88mm Flak AA gun, Tiger Tank, He-111 Bomber, Fw-190 Fighter and Bf-109 Fighter.

It’s too bad The War Game pieces are so much bigger than A&A pieces because they look really nice.

Tiger Tanks.JPG
    War Game and 1941.JPG

• knp just wanted to say i am grateful you take your time to post up pics like these. i love seeing how other pieces hold up to A&A pieces

• after checking out the new pieces next to the old ones. I have to say I love the Allied carrier it looks beastly next to the old carriers. And all of the old Battleships look cooler sitting next to the new ones both Axis and Allies, It’s not a knock on the new battleship just the old ones look bigger and badder. And the Tigers and IS-2s look amazing next to the panthers and t-34s.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m