• @trackmagic:

Maybe each capitol gets a certain number of units each turn (eg US gets an air unit 3 ground units and a naval unit). There would be a chart that shows what they are specifically on each turn.

That would make the economics easier.

But that doesn’t introduce players to the basic A&A mechanics. And it’s also a PITA for Moscow to have to build air (3 inf>1 fighter for Russia).

• Founder TripleA Admin

In order to guarantee under 2 hours, we have to think like a Euro/Strategy game.

What do those games do to keep the games short?

• Play until one player reaches a certain number of points. You can gain and lose points. (This is already similar to A&A, i.e., Victory Cities)
    • Play until one player reaches are certain number of points. You cannot lose points.
    • Play a fixed number of rounds.
    • Play until you run out of something (no more cards, no more trains, no more money, etc.)

One thing that has been bothering me lately about Axis & Allies is the fact that world resources, people and raw materials, are unlimited. Maybe this version will address that.

• @djensen:

One thing that has been bothering me lately about Axis & Allies is the fact that world resources, people and raw materials, are unlimited. Maybe this version will address that.

Yeah, like Risk!  I couldn’t quite wipe you out because I ran out of armies on my front lines, but you are now down to one territory with 3 armies.  You collect your minimum 3 armies and do nothing, then it is my turn again and I collect 45 armies!  :evil:  And if you get obscenely lucky and survive, that’s OK, because then you will get 3 again and I will get 45 again!  :-D

Or

So you are holding out in your last capital with a stack of 50 men - congratulations to you!  I will just sit here and collect and spend 135 IPC’s per turn which the entire world is happy to provide me with every turn without fail, while you spend your 10!  Let’s see how long you last!

• Yes and I don’t have to keep providing food, fuel, ammunition to my big stack of units.  I buy an infantry for $3 and that unit is provisioned forever, even when encircled or cut off.  Also, my country never runs out of 18 year olds to call up.  There is an endless supply of coal, wood, steel for my ICs to keep operating and food for my workers and soldiers.  Oh well its just a game.

• Exactly!
    Try not to think about realism, Dave!  It’s fair for both sides!  :-)

• @Gargantua:

I’ll take 3 battleships and 3 bombers please.

I guess I meant the purchases are scripted more than you get to choose.

• Perhaps it is as simple as removing some of the decision making from the game. For example, instead of purchasing, you can use a reinforcement chart like D-Day and Bulge, with an optional rule to build yourself (for more “advanced” players). The map would look normal, with IPC values, but using the “quick” ruleset would mean those values are irrelevant except for economic victory.

• Customizer

They couldn’t cut out the economic part of the game: eg. making IPCs & purchasing new units. I also don’t think it would be possible to use already laid out reinforcement charts like BOTB or D-Day. Something like that would only give you a certain number of each unit, for example naval units, especially transports.
    Say you are Germany and have a strong Luftwaffe. USA sends over an invasion fleet and Germany manages to take it out with it’s Luftwaffe. The reinforcement charts are spent so now USA has a huge army that could take over Berlin, but no way to get it across the Atlantic because all their transports were sunk and they aren’t getting any more.
    Perhaps Japan has a strong navy with many transports, but most of their army was killed off taking China and India. Now they can’t invade USA because they don’t have enough men and tanks to do the job.
    You would need to be able to build new units at your own choosing.

By the way, kind of like that idea of putting the Purchase Units phase at the end. There has been many times I purchased certain items, then the combats didn’t go the way I planned and I end up stuck with units that now don’t help me much.

• @knp7765:

By the way, kind of like that idea of putting the Purchase Units phase at the end. There has been many times I purchased certain items, then the combats didn’t go the way I planned and I end up stuck with units that now don’t help me much.

Sure, but that helps your opponent as well.  I like how you have to buy your units not knowing how combat will go.  It’s one of the things that makes the game more exciting, and makes players pay for taking risks that don’t work out.

• '10

But this is about shortening the game. I just think it takes less time to, especially to new players, to buy at the end of the round instead of trying to guess what they are going to lose and buying units that way.
    And like knp7765 said, you sometimes get stuck with units that you don’t need, or can’t really use anymore and you have to wait another turn to start getting back on track.

• @Col.:

But this is about shortening the game.

Oh, I think it’s a great idea or option for beginners or for this 1941 game.  I just thought knp was referring to normal games for the rest of us.

For 30 years A&A has always had the purchase units phase at the beginning of the turn.  It’s innovative to think about changing that up, but buying units at the beginning of the turn is as much a part of A&A as infantry costing 3, attacking at 1 and defending at 2.

• Founder TripleA Admin

In Guadalcanal, you get your revenue and spend it at the same time at the end of the turn.

If I’m not mistaken, Larry was involved with the design of that game.

• I meant the world-wide games.  I’ve never even played any theater-specific ones

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m