• Transports are always taken as the last casualty, so the real issue here is can you attack with a carrier?  If I’m not mistaken you can, but you only ever would if you also had another unit with an attack value.  For instance you could attack with 1 sub and 1 carrier and suck up 2 hits with the carrier before you ever lose your sub.  That’s actually not a bad thing to do if the other side doesn’t have a destroyer and you can first strike with the sub.  Desperate maybe but effective.

Garg’s example of building a transport into a hostile z100 without cover isn’t impossible BTW.  Suppose you intend to defend the new transport with fighters that can scramble from an airbase in axis controlled Greece, but alas the fighters are lost in a battle before they can land there.  Ooops.  Now the Soviets build their destroyer in z100 and you have to attack it with your naked destroyer and it gets automatically killed.  That sounds like a move I would do LOL  :-P

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

obvious exception

That’s all I was looking for :)  And Ahh the words of victory are rarely so sweet :)

So all I have to do to get the Japanese Navy to sink my American Transport (with Russian infantry on it) is force my self into a postion - where there is no retreat possible.  And where my transport will invariably face death, in which case it’s allowed to attack.

Many of you reading may think that these loopholes are irrelevant, ludicrous, stupid or annoying, until the moment arises, where under extreme circumstances - understand this knowledge becomes important.  Knowing how to solve all of these puzzles, is like knowing the square root of Pi,  it doesn’t really matter, until it really matters; and to consider yourself a master of the gave, you’ve got to explore every possibility.

Is this going to be added to the official rules clarification?

“The only time a unit with an attack of 0 can engage in combat on it’s own in an attack, is if it starts in a hostile sea zone, and has no other means of escape”.

• @Gargantua:

get the Japanese Navy to sink my American Transport (with Russian infantry on it)

And if the Soviet infantry goes down with the American transport that “attacked” the Japs, does that mean that Japan and russia are at war even if they weren’t before the incident?  Very Tonkin gulf.

Well that’s part of the issue.

IF the Reds load onto an american transport from Soviet Far East.  Is that an act of war against Japan?

• '17

The Soviets would need to declare war on Japan before boarding a US transport in the Pacific.

But they could have loaded a US transport on the Europe map (if the USSR is at war Germany and/or Italy).

But then I have to ask, can the US move a transport containing Soviet troops from the Europe map to the Pacific map if the Soviets aren’t at war with Japan?

Theatre specific neutrality is weird.

GOOD Question.

• @Axisplaya:

@Rorschach:

Now you’re just looking for loopholes.

Well…Garg is good at that…

I remember once he found a reason to build a NAVAL BASE on the mailand (not adjacent to any seazone…)   :-o     :-D

1. Can I see that?
    2. How. The. Fuck?

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=21536.0;wap2

And here’s a shout out to Axis Playa for remembering!

• @techroll42:

@Axisplaya:

@Rorschach:

Now you’re just looking for loopholes.

Well…Garg is good at that…

I remember once he found a reason to build a NAVAL BASE on the mailand (not adjacent to any seazone…)�  � :-o�  �  � :-D

1. Can I see that?
    2. How. The. f**k?

LOL … he found a “REASON” to, but, as per Kreig “No.  See page 24 of the Rulebook.”

• OK so if japan attacks India by sea and there is a naval battle, and there just happens to be a British transport present with a Soviet mech onboard, would Japan and Russia be at war after that naval battle?

• @Vance:

OK so if japan attacks India by sea and there is a naval battle, and there just happens to be a British transport present with a Soviet mech onboard, would Japan and Russia be at war after that naval battle?

In order for Russia to load onto an Allied transport in that seazone, they’re required to be at war with Japan before loading onto it (otherwise they cannot use Allied transports, be in Allied territories).

They’re already at war.

My REASON was validated through an Airbase build though.  It was just slightly less ideal.

But what he’s saying, is if it loads on the European side of the map… and the transport moves, is THAT an act of war?

• @Gargantua:

But what he’s saying, is if it loads on the European side of the map… and the transport moves, is THAT an act of war?

The UK itself cannot move the transport with a Russian unit on it onto the Pacific side of the board UNTIL Russia has declared war on Japan. The UK cannot declare war for Russia, and Russia CANNOT have their units on Allied transports on the Pac side unless they first declare war.

The transport is stopped at the seazone boarder to the Pac board and would not be able to move across until Russia declares war on Japan. Russia would need to declare war prior to the UK turn that the UK wanted to move the transport onto the Pac side.

• Right so Germany attacks Russia G2 so USSR is at war on the Europe map.  Russia can then move a mech from Turkmenistan to UK controlled East Persia, then the following turn it loads onto a British transport which UK then NCMs to z39.  If Japan attacks India J4 and UK scrambles a fighter to cause a naval battle in which the transport is sunk, japan is then at war with Russia on the Pacific map?  And it was Japan that started the war, not the Russians.  Its not their fault the bloody British put their unit in harms way.

• @Vance:

Right so Germany attacks Russia G2 so USSR is at war on the Europe map.  Russia can then move a mech from Turkmenistan to UK controlled East Persia, then the following turn it loads onto a British transport which UK then NCMs to z39.  If Japan attacks India J4 and UK scrambles a fighter to cause a naval battle in which the transport is sunk, japan is then at war with Russia on the Pacific map?  And it was Japan that started the war, not the Russians.  Its not their fault the bloody British put their unit in harms way.

No.  Russia is not permitted to use an Allied Transport on the Pac side of the board unless at war with Japan.

In your example, the UK is BARRED from NCM to Z39 with that transport. It is an illegal move to cross into Z39. It is NOT permitted to cross into a seazone that is on the Pac side of the board unless Russia is at war on that side of the board. And again, the UK cannot declare war for Russia - only Russia can declare war, and ONLY on Russia’s turn.

It’s their bloody fault.

• So the British captain and crew must do what their Soviet passengers demand of them.  This is MUTINY.  That’s OK the transport (HMS Potemkin) can always take the Russians to Italian Somaliland instead.

• TripleA

you can move out and then move in.

Using the new rules we’ve discovered, all we have to do now, is find an example that would FORCE an allied transport loaded with Russian troops onto the pacific board.  :)

Are we having fun yet?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m