Finland as a seperate power (global or europe 1940, latest rules)

• Hi everybody,

We’ve played the following scenario on AAE40 with the latest alpha 3.9 rules and set up.

I’ve always been intrigued by the role the Finnish played in World War 2 and they might have been a more valuable ally to the Germans then the Italians were. Altho the Fins did have their own agenda (like retaking the territories lost in winter war, the Fins helped with the encirclement of Leningrad but did not move beyond that point, they also didn’t bother to attack Leningrad or even shell it with artillery as that was not their main objective) and did book great military successes only by themselves (with no aid from anyone else).

I myself like to play with the Axis the most and I’m kind of dissapointed that there’s no Finnish troops and the lack of Axis powers (altho there weren’t many in World War 2). I know it’s hard to put Finland on the board because of their lack of territories and their lack of colonies, however, I’m gonna try :)

Territories and starting set up:

Finland: 1 minor IC, 4 infrantries, 2 artillery, 2 fighters, 1 tactical (the finnish did have a significant and very effective air force during continuation war), 1 AA gun
    SZ 114 (together with Soviet vessels, but neutral): 1 submarine, 1 destroyer.

Political situation:

After the Winter War, Finland lost parts of vyborg and because of stiff resistance, a cease-fire was signed between the Soviet Union and Finland (Finland was supposed to be completely invaded and ruled by the Soviet Union in the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact). Germany took notice of this and strengthened ties between both countries, especially because of the lack of aid by the British and the Swedish.

Finland starts Neutral with all countries (except for Germany) and cannot declare war on anyone. Their vessels are free to operate in the Baltic Sea up to the Danish strait (SZ 113-115). They can only declare war on the Soviet Union when Germany decides to attack or when the Soviet Union declares war on Germany. The Soviet Union can also declare war on Finland on R4. They cannot declare war on Finland when London falls. France, the USA and the UK can only declare war on Finland as soon as Finland is in a state of war with the Soviet Union (altho I’m trying to think of a rule where the USA can’t declare war on Finland as they were never at a state of war with Finland during world war 2, but it can be too complicated to make it actually work. It could seem interesting tho to make an entire new campaign in this game.). When Finland is Neutral, they are only allied with the germans wich means that Germany can land units into Finland. Finland can also land units in originally owned german territories. Finland cannot attack any other Neutrals until they are in a state of war with the Soviet Union. When Finland is in a state of war with the Soviet Union, Finland will also ally itself with Italy and Japan.

National Objectives:

When not at war with the Soviet Union: +5 IPC’s that are transferred from Germany (Germany loses 5IPC’s) in the form of economical and military help.
    When at war with the Soviet Union: +5 IPC’s when Finland (or other Axis powers) controls both Vyborg and Karelia. Theme: Some Elements in Finland dreamed of a ‘Greater Finland’ wich included soviet-controlled Karelia.
    When at war with the Soviet Union: +5 IPC’s if Novgorod is under Finnish control (deny the +5 IPC’s to Germany). Theme: Boost in moral in display of showing great military capabilities.

(this is a picture of the “greater finland” imagined by some high officials in Finland during World War 2)

Finland’s capital will be Helsinki and it will be located on finland itself. It will not be considered as a victory city and when Finland falls, Finland transfers its remaining IPC’s to the Allied player that captured Finland.

Finland starts with 7 IPC’s and Germany will earn 5 IPC’s less when it is not at war with the Soviet Union (you can give up the NO with economical benefit between Germany and the Soviet Union).

Now the problem with adding all this fancy Finnish stuff, is that it adds 82 IPC value to the Axis powers. It also looks like the Finnish are probably only going one way and that is into Russia. It seems fair to give the Russians an addition of around 80 IPC’s worth of units wich will be displaced a little behind the front lines.

SZ 114: +1 Destroyer
    SZ 127: +1 Destroyer
    Russia: +1 Strategical Bomber, +1 Tank, +1 Artillery, +1 Mech, +3 Infrantry
    Archangel: +2 infrantry
    Nemetsia: +1 infrantry
    Vologda: +1 infrantry
    Smolensk: +1 infrantry
    Novgorod: +2 infrantry, +1 artillery

this is an addition of 76 IPC’s with units scattered all across the northern parts of Russia so the player still has a little bit of mobility to move them where he wants.

I’m also thinking in making Sweden pro-Finland (they will act as a strict neutral when attacked by other axis powers) when either Norway is attacked or when Finnish land troops encounter french, American, Anzac or British forces, but I’m not sure wether this will be good for balance. At least I’d like to do something with Sweden becomming pro-Finland.

Now how our game ended, the Axis won by concentrating almost exclusively on Russia. The gains the fins made were hard as my oponent moved all his additional forces towards the finish border and Leningrad. Finland needed help from the Germans to be reinforced. But they did manage to capture Vyborg and Karelia. It was hard to manage when they were at war with Russia and didn’t capture Vyborg and Karelia right away (this gave the Finish their only 2IPC income). When Finland finally captured Karelia and Vyborg, Germany captured Leningrad. The Finnish then acted more like a reinforcement force or counterattacked Soviet attacks (the Finnish went behind the Soviet Union here in this game). They went on to secure Archangel and some other northern territorry and watched how the Germans captured Moscow. When the Allies landed in Norway, Finland was able to push them out succesfully.

It was fun to see another Axis power on the board, the white pieces from HBG really did their job. A nice addition!

However there were still some questions. Remember, we played AAE40, not the global version:

• We placed them 3rd in order, behind the Soviet Union (except when the German player attacked, they were placed right after Germany to assist on the assault, but it didn’t matter as no attack came as both Vyborg and Karelia were too good reinforced and would leave Finland vulnerable on the counterattack, the rounds after that they were back in 3rd order). What do you think is the best place to place the Finnish?

• Do you have any more National Objectives that you can think of and anything to counter that to keep the balance in the game?

• Any idea on making Sweden pro-finland or pro-axis?

Please tell me what you think and if you have any ideas, I’d love to hear them!

• this is cool! :-D
    Just 1 thing: Sweden should not be pro anything

• Yeah I’d just like to give the Fins more territorries and Sweden is perfect for that matter. That’s the most disapointing thing about adding the Fins, the fact that they only have 1 territorry. I’m thinking of maybe giving Afghanistan to Russia and Mozambique and Angola to the British to balance things out.

Ugh I’m not sure, probably the best option is to leave Sweden as it is.

• I want to try it! :-D

• This is the file wich I typed and printed out. I added one minor thing. The Germans have to give 5 IPC’s obligatory but can give up to another 5 extra IPC’s to Finland when not at war with Russia. It’s easier to print out.

**FINLAND

Territories and starting set up:**

Finland: 1 minor IC, 4 infrantries, 2 artillery, 2 fighters, 1 tactical bomber, 1 AA gun
    SZ 114 (together with Soviet vessels, but neutral): 1 submarine, 1 Cruiser

Political situation:

After the Winter War, Finland lost parts of Vyborg and because of stiff resistance, a cease-fire was signed between the Soviet Union and Finland. Germany took notice of this and strengthened ties between both countries, especially because of the lack of aid by the British and the Swedish.

Finland starts Neutral with all countries (except for Germany) and cannot declare war on anyone. During neutrality Finland’s vessels are free to operate in the Baltic Sea up to the Danish strait (SZ 113-115).

Finland-Soviet Union relationship:
    Russia cannot declare war on Finland until turn 4. Finland can only declare war on Russia when Germany attacks Russia. In this case, and only for that round, Finland’s turn will be swapped with Russia from position 3 to position 2. The next turn the original position system will be used again. If no German attack comes, Finland can declare war on Russia itself on the 4th turn. Russia cannot declare war on Finland when London falls.

Finland-Germany relationship:
    Germany is the only Finnish ally when they are neutral. However, Finnish troops may not assist Germany in military operations. Finnish troops may not move outside the Danish Strait during their neutrality and cannot convoy raid. Finnish troops may move in German controlled areas. And German units may move in Finnish controlled areas. German troops however may not start military operations starting from Finnish owned territories (unless against Russia) when Finland is still neutral.

Finland-other Allies relationship:
    The other Allies can only declare war on Finland when Finland is in a state of war with Russia. Finland cannot declare war on the other Allies until it is in a state of war with Russia.

Finland-Italy-Japan relationship:
    Finland will ally itself with Japan and Italy as soon as a state of war between Finland and 1 or more Allied powers exists.

National Objectives:

When not at war with the Soviet Union: +5 IPC’s that are transferred from Germany (Germany loses 5IPC’s) in the form of economic and military help.
    When at war with the Soviet Union: +5 IPC’s when Finland (or other Axis powers) controls both Vyborg and Karelia. Theme: Some Elements in Finland dreamed of a ‘Greater Finland’ wich included soviet-controlled Karelia.
    When at war with the Soviet Union: +5 IPC’s if Novgorod is under Finnish control (deny the +5 IPC’s to Germany). Theme: Boost in moral in display of showing great military capabilities.

The Greater Finland

Finland’s capital is Helsinki. It is not a victory city. Finland transfers its remaining IPC’s to the Allied player that captured Finland.

Finland starts with 7 IPC’s and Germany will earn 5 IPC’s less when it is not at war with the Soviet Union. Germany can transfer up to 10IPC’s to Finland (of wich 5 are obligatory).

Russia’s extra units (to balance things out).

SZ 114: +1 Destroyer
    SZ 127: +1 Destroyer
    Russia: +1 Strategical Bomber, +1 Tank, +1 Artillery, +1 Mech, +3 Infrantry
    Archangel: +1 infrantry
    Nemetsia: +1 infrantry
    Vologda: +1 infrantry
    Smolensk: +1 infrantry
    Novgorod: +1 infrantry, +1 artillery

Turn order (Europe 1940)

1. Germany
    2. Russia
    3. Finland
    4. UK
    5. Canada (optional)
    6. Italy
    7. United States
    8. France

• @Rhey:

1. Germany
    2. Russia
    3. Finland
    4. UK
    5. Canada (optional)
    6. Italy
    7. United States
    8. France

Canada!? awesome!

• @empireman:

@Rhey:

1. Germany
    2. Russia
    3. Finland
    4. UK
    5. Canada (optional)
    6. Italy
    7. United States
    8. France

Canada!? awesome!

note this is for Europe 1940

Yeah we made a Canadian houserule and use Canadians in all our games. I wrote a houserule here http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26578.0

We don’t use that one fully coz no one ever attempted Sea Lion anymore as it became more of a penalty then a reward for Germany to pull it off. We used the basic set up of alpha 3.9

Quebec: 1 Infantry, 1 Tank, Minor Industrial Complex
    Ontario: 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    New Brunswick Nova Scotia: Naval Base
    Sea Zone 106: 1 Transport, 1 Destroyer

oh yah and we switched the 2 Australian infrantry in Egypt with Canadians and also put 1 canadian infrantry in London instead of a British infrantry.

+1 destroyer in Sea zone 106 to give the transport more chance of survival.
    +1 fighter in Quebec (add 1 infrantry in Belgium/Holland, 1 infrantry in West-Germany, 1 Mech in West-Germany)

Canada starts with 7 IPC’s (6 of their original territories and 1 more from the pacific board) and gets a NO of +2 for every original Axis owned or axis-pro neutral territory they conquered. They also get +3 IPC’s if the territorries between Canada and UK are free from Axis ships (SZ106-109 and SZ116-119 and SZ120-121).

They usually go for Brasil and Norway and help in Africa. They once helped to reinforce USA to land in France but that was when we put them behind the USA in order.

We have yet to find a good order for them but to keep them closely attached to the UK so we put them behind the UK. One game we made a rule that Canadian units can attack together with the UK during the UK’s turn. Units that attacked that turn cannot move during the Canadian’s turn that round. That was also kind of cool. We’re still tweaking it. I liked the Canadians to be used a reinforcement force for the big landings going behind the USA, but I also liked the Canadians kind of doing their own thing and cooperating with the UK. It’s hard :D

• @empireman:

this is cool! :-D
    Just 1 thing: Sweden should not be pro anything

Yeah, there’s a problem with Sweden being pro-Finland….  mainly that the Finns and Swedes had a rather contentious relationship due in part to the fact that Sweden and Russia both vied for control of Finland.  Many of the treaties between Sweden and Russia that resulted from these wars used Finland a a bargaining chip, ceding land to each with little regard for an independent Finnish state.  So yeah…  Finns don’t really like Swedes.

Tangentially, a Swedish historian told a group of us that in a treaty with the Russians from one of the final wars between them there was a clause that if Sweden were to engage in hostilities again against the Russians and they were to lose, Russia would claim all Swedish lands.  He indicated that this was one of the many reasons Sweden maintained neutrality, even when supplying materials to the Axis.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m