• So if you had to put a price on the technologies how much would you be willing to pay to get each one? There is usually talk of which technologies are weaker/stronger, but maybe this will provide a better way to rate and revise the tech system. Here are my rather haphazard and unthought out prices-

Rockets - 10
    Super Subs - 10
    IT - 20
    Long Range Air - 15
    Jet Power - 10
    Heavy Bombers - 40

• Rockets should be priced at 15 because their basically free SBRs each turn without chance of being shot down.

I wouldn’t pay 15 IPC for long rage aircraft, maybe more like 10.

IT seems a bit underpriced for it’s ability though I not sure what value I would put on it.

Otherwise, these numbers look pretty good. :P

• Wow! jets are really cheep. A defense of 5 is worth a whole lot more than 10 IPCs to me, especially considering how much time and material was spent reseaching engines and finding suitable metals.

• Jet Fighters can be killer for Germany, since they start out with a large airforce and must remain on defense for most of the game, but otherwise, the value of Jet Fighters aren’t as important to the other superpowers.

• Still, i would buy Superbombers as germany on my first turn :)
    The US would probably do the same, plus Long range next turn….

Maybe you should more do some kind of “Progression list”
    Airplanes (each step say 15 IPCs):

(1) Long range or Jets
    (2) the other one, or heavy Bombers with two attacking dice
    (3) the last one
    (4) nothing
    (5) heavy bombers 3dice

Navy:
    (1) Super subs
    (2) two hit battleships

etc…

just an idea… i haven’t worked at all on that, but ithink its a good starting point

• Maybe switch heavy bombers from 1 to 2 (instead of 3) while keeping the cost the same. Or upgrade the cost of heavies from 40 to 60. Or just remove bombers from the list completely :wink:

• The tech should be all cost about 25-30 ip.

Based on the fact that it cost 5 ip to get a roll and the chance is 1 in 6.

So, pay the amount in full and get a random tech, or pay a little at a time until you reach the correct amout, then get a random roll.

Just throwing out some ideas.

• I agree that some sort of progressive tech system should be used, but that’s a whole other topic. Mr Ghoul, I was just wondering how much you would be willing to pay to get one of their techs off the shelf, not how much youd be willing to pay to get a random roll. Would you really spend 25 to get super subs? Moses, 60 for heavy bombers seems a bit much…that would be 2 turns of spending all your money on research. Although 30 is too low now that I think about it. I don’t see how that could ever be a useful investment, or how a side could come back from that loss, even if it was spread over many turns. How about a cost of 45 or 50? 15 for Rockets does seem more reasonable than 10. I’m really not sure what LRA, subs, or Jets should be since they have never seemed that important to me. Industrial Tech should be easy to put a price on - if it costs $20 then you don’t break even until you have bought 20 units (most likely INF) That’s only 2 or 3 turns of buying INF, and I think that’s a little quick to see gains on a tech investment. So maybe 25-30 for IT? Anyway, just some crazy thoughts.

• Actually, super subs only cost 10! I like this since it encourages naval battles and makes subs a worthwhile investment.

But I think you’re right, 60 might be a little too much. But look at it this way, USA blows two turns on heavies to unlock them. By turn 4, he can be cleaning house with 3 bmbs (incl. the bmb USA already starts out with), 33.53 = 31.5 IPCs worth of damage! So heavies really only benefits the Allies (sadly :(), since it takes time for the Japanese machine to start rolling, and that time determines life or death for Germany.

• @Corporal:

I agree that some sort of progressive tech system should be used, but that’s a whole other topic. Mr Ghoul, I was just wondering how much you would be willing to pay to get one of their techs off the shelf, not how much youd be willing to pay to get a random roll. Would you really spend 25 to get super subs? Moses, 60 for heavy bombers seems a bit much…that would be 2 turns of spending all your money on research. Although 30 is too low now that I think about it. I don’t see how that could ever be a useful investment, or how a side could come back from that loss, even if it was spread over many turns. How about a cost of 45 or 50? 15 for Rockets does seem more reasonable than 10. I’m really not sure what LRA, subs, or Jets should be since they have never seemed that important to me. Industrial Tech should be easy to put a price on - if it costs $20 then you don’t break even until you have bought 20 units (most likely INF) That’s only 2 or 3 turns of buying INF, and I think that’s a little quick to see gains on a tech investment. So maybe 25-30 for IT? Anyway, just some crazy thoughts.

If you take the random element out, everyone will just by the best techs and there would little point in having the others.

If that is the way you want it, I would make the cost very high.

Heavy bombers: even just two, are very powerful and if every nation gets them, then there is really no advantage.

If Russia buys the IT than gives them a huge advantage, Men is all they really buy anyway. But, in saying that , if Germany buys it, then Japan buys it, Russia is seriously hurting.

So, I think the price for the Techs should be very expensive like 60 or more.

• hmmm…
    i’m thinking HB should be at least 60 IPC. they just swing the game too much…
    and rockets should be at least 20 IPC. one indestructible bomber SBRing every turn seems pretty potent to me…

• @cameron:

hmmm…
    i’m thinking HB should be at least 60 IPC. they just swing the game too much…
    and rockets should be at least 20 IPC. one indestructible bomber SBRing every turn seems pretty potent to me…

I agree

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m