• Has anybody had the experience of playing against a Russian player who gives up Leningrad and holds the south (Caucasus) long enough to start his retreat back to Moscow.  This player never engages in a large battle and constantly maneuvers his troops to block and avoid yours.

Then, finally after Germany advances to Moscow (say G6-8) you end up with a one-on-one battle take all.  Like the original game.

In my experience this is hard to win, unless a similar strategy Germany does, which they after turn 3 or so, they buy tanks and mechs continuously and abandoning all other strategy to pursue the Russians to Moscow.

Topic for discussion.

Thanks.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Yes, I do this now.

I haven’t lost, but I haven’t exactly faced opponents of the most maximum calibre possible.

If this was the position of my enemy, and I was the Germans,  I would avoid the ensuing battle, and force the russians into positions where they attack me.

Force the bulk of your troops through the south, and hold UKRAINE,  trickle in maybe 4 units a turn through transports/leningrad factory.  Keep fighting toward breaking through the caucusus/middleeast with italy.  Use your navy and airforce to buy time against Britan/US.

If the Russians stick with the holding pattern, you SHOULD be able to balance the game out in your favour economically, and NOW the onus is on them to beat you where YOU choose to fight.

• This is the way Russia survives.  Trade space for time.  Draw the Germans into Russia while the US attacks on the west.  Germany can’t fight both fronts if the Allies work together.  The minute they have there own agenda, the Allies are sunk.

• '16 Customizer

Garg said it well. If you can strangle the Russians economically, your job will be much easier. That being said, your main objective (besides Moscow in the end) is Stalingrad and the money territories around it. Don’t pull a Hitler and split your forces all across Russia. If you can hold that and pick up territories to take out the Russian economy, you will be relatively safe. Like Garg said, if you can make them attack you, you’re already at an advantage. Don’t go straight for the heart and the big stack at Moscow unless you are relatively sure you will get it. A foothold turned stronghold in the south is the best course of action.

• I pull a Hitler, mainly because Russia tries to hold the IC’s.

If they retreat, I’ll take the IC’s with very little so I can build from there, and really go at the money territories.

It shouldn’t be hard for Germany to economically overpower Russia.

• '16 Customizer

@techroll42:

If they retreat, I’ll take the IC’s with very little so I can build from there, and really go at the money territories.

It shouldn’t be hard for Germany to economically overpower Russia.

Well, yes definitely keep a force poised to take a weakly defended IC, but keep a clear objective in mind.

And in regards to your 2nd comment, just remember that Germany should be devoting resources to the defense of the Western Front as well.

• 3 subs a turn with a fighter now and then isn’t hard, and it should be enough if Japan looks threatening and SBR’s do well.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m