• Hey guys, I always had a problem with Submarines. Lets just say 3 Subs attack a Cruiser and misses, what happens now? I mean the cruiser can’t fire back because the only attacking unit is Submarines and can only fire back with a Destroyer. So, then what happens?

• '12

Re-read the rules.  A cruiser cannot force a sub to defend without a destroyer present in the attack but it can defend when attacked by a sub with or without a destroyer.  A destroyer would prevent the first shot surprise attack however.

• Malachi is correct.

• Oh OK so it can defend if the only force is Submarines but Subs can do first strike I see, I see.

• @The:

Hey guys, I always had a problem with Submarines. Lets just say 3 Subs attack a Cruiser and misses, what happens now? I mean the cruiser can’t fire back because the only attacking unit is Submarines and can only fire back with a Destroyer. So, then what happens?

3 subs attack a cruiser and miss >> cruiser defends >> remove casualties,
    press attack or retreat.

The only time you need destroyers in order to ‘spot’ submarines, is when you’re trying to hit subs with air units. Sea Units (warships) are able to hit one another regardless of destroyers being present.

if it were

*before any dice are rolled, subs chose to submerge or stay and fight
    (if subs chose to stay and fight) a cruiser attacks 3 subs >> 3 subs defend >> cruiser attacks (if remaining subs miss and cruiser hits) >> remove casualties,
    press attack or retreat.

subs always attack first or defend first without the presence of an enemy destroyer,
    also casualties caused by subs are immediately removed without the possibility of counter attack from the opposing ships.
    and last, you can chose to ignore subs and go through or remain in the sea zone as if it were friendly.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

If a cruiser attacked SUBS,  before any dice are rolled, the subs would choose to submerge, OR, fight.

If they choose to fight, they would strike first at 1.

Interestingly too, in the example give,  the cruiser can also choose to IGNORE all the subs if it wants to aswell.

• But the SUBS are attacking NOT the cruiser.

(P.S Sorry for insulting you if I offended you.) :-)

Hey no offense taken,

I wasn’t talking to you. :P

if it were

*before any dice are rolled, subs chose to submerge or stay and fight
    (if subs chose to stay and fight) a cruiser attacks 3 subs >> 3 subs defend >> cruiser attacks (if remaining subs miss and cruiser hits) >> remove casualties,
    press attack or retreat.

• Sponsor

If an enemy cruiser attacks your 5 subs, can you choose to submerge some and defend with the others? and if so, can those submerged subs surface and defend in later combat rounds?

• '12

I think like retreating, it’s an all or nothing affair (except for amphibious assaults of course).

• @Young:

If an enemy cruiser attacks your 5 subs, can you choose to submerge some and defend with the others? and if so, can those submerged subs surface and defend in later combat rounds?

I’d think submerging subs in any quantity is akin to determine scrambling aircraft.  You choose how many, if any utilize the ability.  Subsequent units not engaged are not available for that particular battle.

Interesting question YG…  But the point is, why would you?

You are either going to defend with ALL of your subs, -or- submerge ALL of your subs.

You certainly wouldn’t be tying one hand behind your back through the course of any battle?

• Sponsor

@Gargantua:

Interesting question YG…  But the point is, why would you?

You are either going to defend with ALL of your subs, -or- submerge ALL of your subs.

You certainly wouldn’t be tying one hand behind your back through the course of any battle?

Not sure of a particular situation where it would be wise, it was more a question for figuring out the cans and can’ts of certain nuances in the game.

• I think you can, and here’s a situation:

You WANT the cruiser dead, but you NEED (as in if you don’t get it you’ll lose the game) 3 of your 5 subs to do whatever. Perhaps mount an attack on some transports defended by 2 destroyers. So you defend with 2 subs, knowing that come whatever dice you have 3 subs left to do sub stuff. You still have the 2 to defend.

Unlikely?
    Totally.

Possible?
    Possibly.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m