• I just got the revised starter and three of the Surface Action boosters and the armor-vital armor-hull confuses the hell out of me.  I don’t get how you sink a ship taking all three of those categories into effect.

• '18 Customizer

Go to page 25 in your rulebook in the solving attacks section and to the effects section on page 34 for the rest of the explanation.

Basically if your successes equal a ships armor rating it take one damage. If the shot is between the armor rating and it vital rating it also takes a damage. If the attack successes equal the vital armor or better its a destroyed ship. Torpedo attacks use the hull rating to determine damage.

• I read those sections as I was executing an attack, but it gets so confusing with the three different levels.  So hull damage is only used in sub attacks?

• '18 Customizer

Say you have a ship with armor 5 and vital 10 and hull points 3

A ship is destroyed when its vital armor is equaled or the hull points are reduced to 0. If you achieve 5 success that is damaged, it removes one hull point making it 2 now. And if a torpedo hits with 2 successes against the hull, it is destroyed. All 3 hull points were removed. Inversely a hit of 10 successes or more sinks that ship. When a ship has only 1 hull point remaining it is considered crippled and suffers negative effects.

• Thanks, it does not seem as convoluted when you state it.  Now it makes more sense.  Are the only maps available in the starter set?  I think I am going to laminate mine. How do you have your ships stored.  I had to put Axis powers in one box and Allies in another because they are hard to tell apart sometimes.

• '18 Customizer

The only maps are in the starter so laminating them isn’t a bad idea. I keep my cards in a binder with 9 slot pages and my mini’s in slotted containers from the hardware store. I bought a ultra fine pen and wrote the names on the bottom of most ships for convenience. My collection is relatively small and I’m fairly new to the sea side, I started on the land mini game.

• @Death:

I had to put Axis powers in one box and Allies in another because they are hard to tell apart sometimes.

I believe there’s some ID under the ships. At least there is for revised starter. I’ll be able to tell you about this for boosters in <1 week.

Note that torps ignore armor/vital armor, making them good vs. BB’s.

• '18 Customizer

All the ships are imprinted with its name. Its not always the complete name or is very ledgable. Eventually you will get to know the ships at a glance and won’t need to look, but for now its whatever works for you.

@Field:

Say you have a ship with armor 5 and vital 10 and hull points 3.

hmm, sounds alot like Baltimore or Montpelier to me :-D

• @Deaths:

@Field:

Probably Montpelier because it’s starter and everyone has it.

• '18 Customizer

@techroll42:

@Deaths:

@Field:

Probably Montpelier because it’s starter and everyone has it.

It was just an off the top of my head armor set-up.

• Played a game with my son today, he was Allies and I was Axis.  He had the USS New Jersey BB, HMS Hawkins Cruiser, USS Montpelier Cruiser, and TBF Avenger.  I had the German Moltke Battleship, Haguro Heavy Cruiser, German Sub U-2511, and Elite A6M2 Zero.  The first ship destroyed was my Heavy Cruiser Haguro.  I crippled the USS Montpelier and and took away two hull points on the USS New Jersey with a torpedo attack from my sub.  My son then damaged the Moltke Battleship.  I tried attacking with my planes but had aborted missions twice.  I finally sunk the USS Montpelier, followed by the USS New Jersey.  Leaving him the HMS Hawkins and his Avenger planes against my Zeroes and German Sub.  He hid behind an island and was out of the line of sight and my planes were shot down by his air defense on the HMS Hawkins.  Then his Avengers finally sank my German sub.  We are still learning this game as well as the Air Force Minis.

Questions: 1. If my planes had taken out the Avengers there would have been no attacks available for my Son to take out the sub.  So in order to win I would have to chase him around the board until I could sink him?

2. The HMS Hawkins does have a torpedo attack capability but is that just for surface ships and not subs?

• @Death:

Played a game with my son today, he was Allies and I was Axis.  He had the USS New Jersey BB, HMS Hawkins Cruiser, USS Montpelier Cruiser, and TBF Avenger.  I had the German Moltke Battleship, Haguro Heavy Cruiser, German Sub U-2511, and Elite A6M2 Zero.  The first ship destroyed was my Heavy Cruiser Haguro.  I crippled the USS Montpelier and and took away two hull points on the USS New Jersey with a torpedo attack from my sub.  My son then damaged the Moltke Battleship.  I tried attacking with my planes but had aborted missions twice.  I finally sunk the USS Montpelier, followed by the USS New Jersey.  Leaving him the HMS Hawkins and his Avenger planes against my Zeroes and German Sub.  He hid behind an island and was out of the line of sight and my planes were shot down by his air defense on the HMS Hawkins.  Then his Avengers finally sank my German sub.  We are still learning this game as well as the Air Force Minis.

Questions: 1. If my planes had taken out the Avengers there would have been no attacks available for my Son to take out the sub.  So in order to win I would have to chase him around the board until I could sink him?

2. The HMS Hawkins does have a torpedo attack capability but is that just for surface ships and not subs?

1.a)  Generally the game is played with 3 objective markers spread across the middle of the map say the game is 200 pts each side then each objective would be worth 100 pts, each ship you sink is worth points, when the surface fleet is destroyed the person who destroyed it gets a bonus worth 100pts (same as objective)……first person to 300 pts wins (adjust points mathematically to fit the size of game your playing)

1.b)  Or you play first one to destroy the other person’s surface fleet win (air and subs aren’t considered part of a surface fleet).

objectives are more balanced.

2. yes

I do believe because when your axis fleets surface fleet was wiped out you lose right there(Because you have no units capable of capturing an objective),

or with objectives he would gain Victory pts = to 1 objective. + your surface fleets cost in pts + any objectives

#1 yes technically you would have to chase him down if ur playing last man standing
    #2 yes all ships torp attacks can only attack ships

• Great, thanks for the quick answers.

• While losing your surface fleet generally results in you losing it doesnt automatically mean the game is over (I learned this the hard way).  When my opponent had grabbed 2 objectives and I had sunk his surface fleet I didnt have the required 300pts to end the match so I was forced to try and grab the last objective before his 2 remaining subs could sink my BB and unfortunately it got sunk and I lost a game to a barb and crippled barb both subs probably the closest game of WAS I have ever played.

This was an online game on the forum mini so they are very tight with the rules.

• I have another question I have not been able to figure out.  If you have say a BB that has 3 attacks and you use them all on one ship can you stack those hits or are they considered separate attacks that look at the armor, then the vital, and finally the hull?  For example, I have the USS Arizona and he fires his main gun and gets 6 hits, then the secondary gun fires and gets 4 hits, and finally the tertiary gun fires and gets 3 hits.  Say the armor of the German BB Moltke is 6, vital is 13, and hull is 4.  In this example would I only score 1 point of damage against the hull for equaling 6 or can I combine all 3 weapon hits for the 13 that equal the vital?

• You CANNOT stack Main gun/secondaries/tert’s this is stated in the rule book
    Each attack is considered seperate ex. MG’s are 15 dice against say 8 armor you roll 9 hits that is one damage,
    your 2nd’s are 6 dice you have to hit the 8 with that you roll 5 hits its a miss etc etc.

secondary and tert guns are weaker hence why its unlikely (but not impossible) that your going to crack BB armor with them the point of them is generally to prevent you from getting overwhelmed with a destroyer swarm. example a 5 inch shell is unlikely to penetrate thick armor.

• Thanks Azrael, my best friend Hkytown1, bought 14 boosters and a starter set this week. So he is coming over tomorrow and he along with my 9 yr old are going to play miniatures Naval, Air, and Land.

• sounds fun enjoy yourself, WAS is a great game we have a group league/campaign in my area that we play every week 10 players 10 nations (some are shared like the USA, Japan etc)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m