• 2007 AAR League

The zip is available:

http://www.campusactivism.org/aacalc/aacalc_new.zip

To run it you need PHP.  Unzip the file contents into a folder and load it in your browser.

• '12

Lets just make sure that the random number generator has a proper distribution of numbers in both shorter and longer sequences.  Having all numbers coming up on average 16.666667% over 60,000 trials is great, but not if you get 30 %1s for 10,000 then 30% 2s for 10,000 rolls.

But the tool is great, would be nice to have a graphic bell curve of the distribution of outcomes.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Was this ever put up on github as an open source project?

• Founder TripleA Admin

I will host it here but I want to make sure that the current version is always being run here.

Is this the current github project? https://github.com/gmassaro/AACalc/

If so, has it not been worked on since Dec. 2010? I’m willing to manage the open source project and accept pull requests and whatever else is required to keep it alive.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Here is the new github repo which I will keep up to date with any pull requests.

https://github.com/djensen47/AACalc

• 2007 AAR League

The random number generator is the one in php.  Should be good.

• Founder TripleA Admin

http://www.axisandallies.org/aacalc/

I’ll be updating the source code, over time, to make it more configurable.

• Customizer

while it is nice to have a front end that says stuff like “infantry”, “cruiser”, etc,

it would be nice if you could just specify the attack and defense power of the units, and any special abilities they have

this would allow the calc to support any mods or house rules or future units that are made

like for example, a world war 1 mod, which has units like cavalry, etc.  You could just specify the cavalry as being a 1/1 unit, etc, without having to give it any name.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Github has an issue tracker. Either I can add this myself or you could add it? I have a feeling this won’t be your only request.

:-)

@Veqryn:

while it is nice to have a front end that says stuff like “infantry”, “cruiser”, etc,

it would be nice if you could just specify the attack and defense power of the units, and any special abilities they have

this would allow the calc to support any mods or house rules or future units that are made

like for example, a world war 1 mod, which has units like cavalry, etc.  You could just specify the cavalry as being a 1/1 unit, etc, without having to give it any name.

• we should do what we can to keep it alive.  Hosting it here would work!

• Founder TripleA Admin

• Did we do something wrong?
    I love this dice calc.  I am getting an error message:

@http://www.axisandallies.org/aacalc/:

AACalc is temporarily down due to excessively large calculations.

Will our beloved dice calc soon be active again?

If not, are there suggested alternatives?

• Founder TripleA Admin

The problem is that the calculations are done on the server. The php process typically not pegged on CPU but in this case it was.

So we need a new AACalc. It really needs to be javascript based so that it runs in your browser and not on my server. Who wants to work on this?

• I stumbled across this thread today after trying to use AACalc online.  Since I love the tool so much, I decided to try and make it work offline.

After some tinkering, I managed to put together a little app that runs AACalc on the client, rather than requiring a server; you can download it here: www25.zippyshare.com/v/58450275/file.html

Basically, I took the AACalc source files that djensen posted, paired them with an open-source “run PHP offline” solution called php-desktop, and voila!  It seems to work well for me anyway.  Just run aacalc.exe.

To djensen: I had to change one line of code in index.php, which was trying to include a file called load.php–but that file isn’t on GitHub.  I’m assuming it’s not super important, since the tool seems to still work even though I removed the include.  (if load.php really is important though, perhaps you could send me that file so I can properly include it in this release?)

To everyone: Enjoy!  ZippyShare isn’t the best place to host something like this, so if someone wants to put the file in a better place feel free to take on the hosting part of this solution.

• '12

I look forward to trying it.  Nice work!

• please report any progress.  Nothing against the toast man,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHptn_3RyYE but a poster with one post  :| tells you to D/L an executable onto your computer  :?

• :-D  Now I have two posts.  haha

But in all seriousness, axis_roll is right–random .exes on the web can be pretty dangerous.  I can’t blame him for being concerned.

If you don’t trust my file (I do promise it’s completely safe & clean, but obviously that promise might not be worth much coming from a rookie poster), then here are some simple instructions to create your own offline AACalc project.  It wasn’t rocket science.

Step 1)  Download & extract php-desktop (this is a well-known Google code open source project; see various internet forums)
    Step 2)  Delete everything in the www folder of php-desktop.
    Step 3)  Copy djensen’s aacalc files into the www folder of php-desktop.
    Step 4)  Edit index.php, and delete this line:  include(‘load.php’);  Then, save & close the file.
    Step 5)  [optional] Rename php-desktop.exe to aacalc.exe  (I did this just for fun, but it isn’t necessary)

That’s it.  No need to even use my download at all, for folks who are security conscious.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I have a better idea. I can host aacalc on another server so it doesn’t interfere with this one. I’ll have it up by the end of the week.

• @djensen:

I have a better idea. I can host aacalc on another server so it doesn’t interfere with this one. I’ll have it up by the end of the week.

Awesome

Thank you!

• @the_toast_man:

then here are some simple instructions to create your own offline AACalc project.  It wasn’t rocket science.

Step 1)  Download & extract php-desktop (this is a well-known Google code open source project; see various internet forums)
    Step 2)  Delete everything in the www folder of php-desktop.
    Step 3)  Copy djensen’s aacalc files into the www folder of php-desktop.
    Step 4)  Edit index.php, and delete this line:  include(‘load.php’);   Then, save & close the file.
    Step 5)  [optional] Rename php-desktop.exe to aacalc.exe  (I did this just for fun, but it isn’t necessary)

That’s it.  No need to even use my download at all, for folks who are security conscious.

I appreciate this info.  It would be nice to have a client side based die roller when I don’t have access to the internet.

BTW, did you watch the youtube video of Haywood Banks singing the Toast song?
    I think it should make you giggle.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m