• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Young:

@LHoffman:

Overall, had to be the 70s.�  Close second is the 60s.

A perfect sentence.

Why thank you.

A toast to your good taste my friend.  8-)

• If it wasn’t for the 60’s the 70’s would have never happened. I love them all. Rock and Roll
      From Blue suede shoes to Red Plastic cup

• '10

@Young:

@LHoffman:

Overall, had to be the 70s.�  Close second is the 60s.

A perfect sentence.

I’m with you guys on this one.

• Customizer

I’d say 1968-1978 was the 10 years of the best music, that is, if you subtract the “Disco” stuff.

“Tall Paul”

@Tall:

I’d say 1968-1978 was the 10 years of the best music, that is, if you subtract the “Disco” stuff.

“Tall Paul”

Funny… that coincides almost exactly with the reign of Led Zeppelin…

• Customizer

And a LOT of others, too.

“Tall Paul”

@Tall:

And a LOT of others, too.

“Tall Paul”

Yes, obviously.

I was putting a pitch in there, in case you didn’t see. But quite literally, it is almost exactly the years Zeppelin was active ('68-'80). Many other prominent acts were formed/playing in that same time span, but none of them correspond to the time frame as precisely as Led Zeppelin does. Just pointing that out.

@suprise:

If it wasn’t for the 60’s the 70’s would have never happened.

Yeah well, if it wasn’t for Skiffle and Rockabilly in the '50s we wouldn’t have half of what was musically worthwhile in the '60s.

Just because it was the seed for the next generation doesn’t mean it was therefore better. If we stuck with that argument we’d be back in the Classical Period, or before.

• Yea I love em all from celtic tribal music to classic (the birth of rock&roll) and Alice Cooper all the way to Rob Zombie, oops I forgot Chuck Berry and ride of the Valkyrie
    like I said I love it all.  I’ll barf if I hear disco

• Customizer

“And Rap is NOT music”!!!

“Tall Paul”

• '10

Without any doubt, the fifties!

What is this with the '80s being #1 in polling? I mean come on…

Don’t get me wrong, I love everything about the '80s, especially the music, but it in no way can be called “the best”. Besides the '90s it might be the worst, in terms of content and innovation. I sense a “my generation” bias here.

• @LHoffman:

What is this with the '80s being #1 in polling? I mean come on…

Don’t get me wrong, I love everything about the '80s, especially the music, but it in no way can be called “the best”. Besides the '90s it might be the worst, in terms of content and innovation. I sense a “my generation” bias here.

Well of course!

Musical taste is subjective.  People like what they know.

There is no way to definitively answer the OP question.

• Best music was 1978-1984

• I think alot is based on your age as you got into music while you grew up. Mine is 50’s to 70’s.

• Customizer

There is obviously no incorrect answer to this question. It’s all dependant on each respondant’s age and tastes.

Let’s all enjoy our own memories and keep them alive in our lives and souls!

“Tall Paul”

@axis_roll:

Musical taste is subjective.  People like what they know.

There is no way to definitively answer the OP question.

Yeah, yeah… I know. I’m just trying to keep the discussion going and force people to defend why they think something is the best. Devil’s Advocate, you know?  :evil:

I do realize that musical taste is highly subjective. Still… you guys aren’t being very fun about it! Be highly opinionated here!

My rapper/DJ name is “MUSICAL BIGOT” (if I had one anyway). Please feel free to name yourself.

Besides, my generation is '90s/'00s. I even really like the Backstreet Boys (because I grew up with them).

But I can easily recognize that the rock and roll of the mid-late '60s and 1970s is by far superior in creativity, influence and listening pleasure than my generation’s music, or any other. If another was better I would have chosen that decade… but there isn’t a better one.

(part of) Musical Bigot’s Mission Statement:
    The vast majority of today’s music is superficial garbage and lacking in real innovation. We are in a quagmire of sonic same-ness characterized by meaningless lyrics and escalation of noise produced by computer effects. Humanity has been mostly lost in it.

Disclamer: I really like like Dubstep too, at least the somewhat harmonious type. Though I am sure many older folks on this forum might not be familiar with it.

• Yes we all have our own tastes , but how about Irish drinking music thats always festive

@suprise:

Yes we all have our own tastes , but how about Irish drinking music thats always festive

Ah… what the hell! Sure!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m