Global 1939 variant fortifications

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

This question is for Coach (or anyone else with knowlege of this variant);

I’m in the midst of putting together the necessary pieces for the Global '39 variant. Currently, I’m working on fortifications.

The rules show fortifications in the initial set up with specific facing. For example, some defend only against the sea, some defend against a specific adjacent territory, and some defend against any adjacent territory.

The set-up charts show the fortifications with IPC values, so I assume more can be bought and placed during the game. Am I also correct in assuming that the new fortifications will defend against attacks from any territories (or does the player have to specify)?

• '14

We played last game where you could not build any fortifications. If you choose to build Forts, make the game simpler and the countries that already have them must fall under the rules already set in place. The new ones built in countries without fortifications can defend an attack from any zone. All fortifications defend at a 5 or less on the first round of combat and 2 infantry get a +2 on first round. If you have anymore questions please ask.

Thanks Tigerman.

We’ll definitely build additional fortifications (well, my opponent certainly will).

Will post questions as we work through this thing. I’ve ordered a bunch more pieces etc. from HBG and FMG today as well as a bunch more GHQ pieces.

Will post pics when the game is complete and set up.

• it’s not a bad idea.
    Fortification as sebastopol should ne be nice.
    But not something as eben emael in belgium! :-D

• '14

We started with not having the forts as buildable units because they were very powerful. Then we raised the cost of the unit along with having the defense modifier used for the first round of combat only!

• I agreed. But when you think about fortification you must think about railway gun either…

I thought about the railroad gun too or some version of heavy/siege artillery. I have a couple of Karl/Thor mortor batteries from GHQ which would do nicely (for Germany anyway).

Of course, I have the luxury of thinking up these little add ons as the hard work of overall game development has been done by someone else. :wink:

The more I read the rules, the more I like this game. I’ve played Zeno’s World at War and this blows it out of the water (even if it does incorporate some its features). It promises to be epic.

It looks to me that d12 are the wave of the future as well for A and A. This has been discussed on this forum and I’m definitely in the new dice camp.

Regardless, the fortifications are a go.

• The more I read the rules, the more I like this game. I’ve played Zeno’s World at War and this blows it out of the water (even if it does incorporate some its features). It promises to be epic.
    I also played zeno game 15 years ago.
    I changed a lot of thing in the last 10 years. It doesn’t seems like the zeno game now.
    I didn’t used fortification in my game but it could be a great addition.
    I have a lot of C&C 1/285 piece but nerver saw karl/Thor mortor. (What is the scale?)

http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/g156.html for Karl mortar.

Have you got hold of the Global '39 map? It’s something else. I’ll be painting armies for the next two months to build this one.

• '14

Make sure you go to historicalboardgaming.com to get the latest rule revisions. Feel free to suggest any problems with the game you may run across no matter how small. All feedback is welcomed.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m