Scaling of FMG & HBG Pieces - Please Vote!

• Thanks for the info, Knp.  I guess I’ll just have to use metal units that dont have fragile parts that jut out, like a bare halftrack.

P.S. I just purchase a package of French armor GHQ. “FR1” it came with large tank a smaller one and three half tracks. but you were right about the barrel. It came detached from the turret and and so thin and curvy that it was not salvageable at all. I’m sticking with plastic pieces as I said.

• The problem with scaling can be easily solved if FMG uses the current axis and allies infantry pieces as a guide instead of having used the original pieces, which were a tab smaller.  The original pieces that seem to have been used  can be identified by the simple “Made in China” on the under side of the piece.  These original pieces are actually smaller than the present axis and allies infantry pieces.

I took one of the original pieces and put the newer FMG italian pieces next to it and it was a perfect match in terms of height, whereas the present axis and allies infantry piece was taller.

• Gents, have any you of ever been on a WWII Sherman tank or a 2 1/2 Ton Army truck?  WWII US Trucks where built bigger in size compared to a Sherman tank.  UK tanks until the Churchill and Comets for the most part except the QLT trucks was bigger than their tanks. Jap tanks where smaller than Jap trucks.  So what is the  beef about the trucks being bigger?
    Example a US WWII Sherman was a mere 6.16 m in length. A USA GMC 6x6 was 6.82 m in length.
    A US M5 Halftrack was only in Length:6.33 m.
    A UK  Bedford QL was 5.99 m in length. A Infantry Tank Mk I “Matilda I” was only 4.85 m in length.
    A Infantry Tank Mk IV “Churchill” was only 7.44 m in length. An AEC Matador Truck was only in Length: 6.32 m.
    A German Tiger Ausf E1 was 8.45 m in length, a Panther Tank was only 6.88 m in length. A German Opel Blitz Truck was only in Length: 6.105 m
    PzKpfw VI Ausf. B, Tiger II was only 10.3 m in length.  A German SD.Kfz 251/1 Ausf D Halftrack was only in Length:5.80 m.
    So if some FMG and HBG trucks are bigger than the Tanks and halftracks thats the way it really was in WWII.
    So if any of you are WWII minature collectors as i am, then size is important only from that aspect.  The non-military minded war game player most likely dosn’t care about scale or size.

WARRIOR888

• '14

@WARRIOR888:

Gents, have any you of ever been on a WWII Sherman tank or a 2 1/2 Ton Army truck?   WWII US Trucks where built bigger in size compared to a Sherman tank.  UK tanks until the Churchill and Comets for the most part except the QLT trucks was bigger than their tanks. Jap tanks where smaller than Jap trucks.  So what is the  beef about the trucks being bigger?
    Example a US WWII Sherman was a mere 6.16 m in length. A USA GMC 6x6 was 6.82 m in length.
    A UK  Bedford QL was 5.99 m in length. A Infantry Tank Mk I “Matilda I” was only 4.85 m in length.
    A Infantry Tank Mk IV “Churchill” was only 7.44 m in length. An AEC Matador Truck was only in Length: 6.32 m.
    A German Tiger Ausf E1 was 8.45 m in length, a Panther Tank was only 6.88 m in length. A German Opel Blitz Truck was only in Length: 6.105 m
    PzKpfw VI Ausf. B, Tiger II was only 10.3 m in length.  A German SD.Kfz 251/1 Ausf D Halftrack was only in Length:5.80 m.
    So if some FMG and HBG trucks are bigger than the Tanks and halftracks thats the way it really was in WWII.
    So if any of you are WWII minature collectors as i am, then size is important only from that aspect.  The non-military minded war game player most likely dosn’t care about scale or size.

WARRIOR888

The biggest issue here is comparing FMG units to the OOB units. HBG has stated that he is scaling off of the OOB pieces so all pieces can be used. FMG’s truck is 1 1/2 times bigger than HBG and OOB’s truck, this is the issue.

• '10

@Tigerman77:

@WARRIOR888:

Gents, have any you of ever been on a WWII Sherman tank or a 2 1/2 Ton Army truck?   WWII US Trucks where built bigger in size compared to a Sherman tank.  UK tanks until the Churchill and Comets for the most part except the QLT trucks was bigger than their tanks. Jap tanks where smaller than Jap trucks.  So what is the  beef about the trucks being bigger?

WARRIOR888

The biggest issue here is comparing FMG units to the OOB units. HBG has stated that he is scaling off of the OOB pieces so all pieces can be used. FMG’s truck is 1 1/2 times bigger than HBG and OOB’s truck, this is the issue.

Lets not worry about the Truck size moving forward.  Italy will have the biggest truck…  There is a story behind it I will share soon.

• FMG - Thanks for listening to the community!

That’s what this project is all about, a community effort that gives us what we want (great pieces!) and gives FMG & HBG what they want (profit!).

Any thought on making your infantry a hair bigger?

Also, size is used as a “military effectiveness” indicator in this game - Battleships are bigger and more powerful than Cruisers or Destroyers, Bombers are bigger and more powerful than Tac Bombers, Tanks are bigger and more powerful than Mech Inf, etc.

• Alcon, I concur with reloader-1’s statement.  So lets just support FMG and HBG in their tremendous efforts to give us additional cool looking AA playing units.

WARRIOR888

• @reloader-1:

Also, size is used as a “military effectiveness” indicator in this game - Battleships are bigger and more powerful than Cruisers or Destroyers, Bombers are bigger and more powerful than Tac Bombers, Tanks are bigger and more powerful than Mech Inf, etc.

In that case I think the FMG Italian infantry unit is the correct size.  :-D

• I agree with you guys about the infantry scale but since I plan on buying all of Fmgs countries that won’t be a problem. Maybe HBG could do an upgrade of land units for the Italians. I was watching a little of WW2 in colour and noticed the Italians wearing a great coat. Would make a cool piece. Throw in a couple of armour with another infantry and I’m in. I think we all agree that we like the size of the air and naval units for Italy so an upgrade on the land might be what some of you are looking for.

• '10

Here is the TRUTH and the issue with the Truck…  if you look at the pictures of the GERMANY Samples, you will notice that the Truck is the correct size.  The factory made a mistake with the Truck!!

As they had already damaged the first mould, and we had to wait for the second;  I just could not push the release back AGAIN.  So I accepted the Truck as it is.  So…  Italy will have a larger truck than the other nations.

For the Future:  I had a great discussion with Coach today, and in future FMG will try to match Scale with his units.  I think that he has a great thing going with his scale and is on the right track.  We have been coordinating things from the beginning and I hope we can be better coordinated with the upcoming sets.

• TripleA '12

Thank you for that update, Jeremy. If a smaller FMG Italy Truck piece ever becomes available I would certainly buy some.

• '14

Good deal.

• Just paint the new GMC trucks that are coming out in a few days with the U.S. supplemental set brown-end of problem.

• '10

@Lozmoid:

Thank you for that update, Jeremy. If a smaller FMG Italy Truck piece ever becomes available I would certainly buy some.

HBG will be releasing their AXIS MINOR Set in ITALY BROWN…  so you can always use those Trucks if you don’t like ours.

• FMG - thanks for listening to us. With better, more consistent scaling I look forward to future sets from you and HBG!

• Customizer

Everyone,

I think we ALL should be so thankful that we have not just one,…but TWO producers of the units we want that LISTEN to our concerns.  They both produce well detailed units of popular pieces that vastly increase our FUN factor in our A&A games.  To Jeremy of FMG, and Doug of HBG.  THANK YOU both!

And I believe that you both have many, many loyal fans that will buy everything that you produce for us.  We may be vocal about minor details sometimes, but I’m sure you can understand that.  I truly hope that you two gentlemen will be able to earn a profit from this huge investment that you have made so far.  Thanks again to the both of you.

“Tall Paul”

• Fmg and Hbg you guys rock! Thanks for listening to the community. Look forward to doing business with you in the future. Keep it up the good work.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

@FieldMarshalGames:

@Lozmoid:

HBG will be releasing their AXIS MINOR Set in ITALY BROWN…  so you can always use those Trucks if you don’t like ours.

I will have them next week.

• Customizer

Well then, it looks like I will be placing a new order next week as well.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m