Worth shifting to alpha 3 from 2 for casuel players?

• HI all

after reading many a thread its seems to me that alpha 2 fixed everything glareingly bad and alpha 3 has tweaked it as best as it can to make it totally balanced for the chess master players and frequent players. me my wife and friends are once in a blue moon players when we can get a game in and after 7 months after haveing a baby we are ready for another game. we played just alpha 2 and found it work well for us.

Is alpha 3 really worth reprinting all the sheets for for casuel players who dont look to deeply into the maths and weaknesses?. we cant becuase even my mate who is a very good chess player can not counter my wifes uncanny lucky dice.

• Sponsor

@chagadiel:

HI all

after reading many a thread its seems to me that alpha 2 fixed everything glareingly bad and alpha 3 has tweaked it as best as it can to make it totally balanced for the chess master players and frequent players. me my wife and friends are once in a blue moon players when we can get a game in and after 7 months after haveing a baby we are ready for another game. we played just alpha 2 and found it work well for us.

Is alpha 3 really worth reprinting all the sheets for for casuel players who dont look to deeply into the maths and weaknesses?. we cant becuase even my mate who is a very good chess player can not counter my wifes uncanny lucky dice.

This is my personal opinion……

Alpha+2 only exists on sheets of paper that were printed by players before Alpha+3 was released, It’s extinction to the casual player is inevitable, and seeing as all future printed and new online material will be based on Alpha+3… I suggest switching to A+3.

Also. Alpha+3 is not a more advanced edition with added complexity for hardcore players like you suggest. It is simply a correction in set up, an adjustment in game mechanics, and tweaking of PSs and NOs. In fact, Alpha+2 will eventually become the rare set that hard core fans look for in the future, and Alpha+3 will be the mainstream rules that the casual player will follow.

If you are all smart enough to grasp the complexity of Alpha+2, than you won’t have any difficulty adapting to the Alpha+3 rules. Surly if you all waited 7 months to play a game, you can take 1 day to read and adapt to the few changes A+3 offers.

Finally, after many games of playing both Alpha+2 and +3, I can honestly say that I think they both have balance issues, but Alpha+3 is more fun. You will no doubt find people here to disagree, but like I said… this is my personal opinion.

• Thanks i didnt think it was more complex in rules. i was more thinking would we really notice much difference as cas players. but if this is the final final change then i will go and go for 3.

i dont want to print out more stuff only to find next game there is some new changes again

• Sponsor

@chagadiel:

Thanks i didnt think it was more complex in rules. i was more thinking would we really notice much difference as cas players. but if this is the final final change then i will go and go for 3.

i dont want to print out more stuff only to find next game there is some new changes again

We were told by the designer that it’s 99% final. You will notice a big difference in game play…… the biggest change (AA guns no longer a 1 per/territory unit) is considered the best. The risk vs. reward gap of a Strategic bombing raid has closed (so be ready for more of those), there are larger consequences if Japan wants to attack Russia with the new Mongolian rule, and ships must roll dice now when disrupting convoys. Along with some very interesting set up changes, thats the gist of it… Enjoy your game.

• TripleA

I still can’t believe this game is not yet in beta. It’s been too long. I blame this forum.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m