Repairing damaged ships - NEEDS TO BE ADDED TO ALPHA!

• So a strategy I use with America that breaks naval warfare is to buy many battleships and carriers and then attack enemy naval ships with them.  Of course, I can soak nany hits right off the bat and not even blink.  No fear, except i have to get them to a port to repair.

Well i propose that once there at the port, you have to spend 1 IPC to repair the ship.  Not much cost, but something.  I mean Naval bases and air bases have a cost as well as Industrials to repair, so my question is why not capital ships. It adds up over the course of the game and does make you think twice about damaging that prize ship.

• Sponsor

@manincellv:

So a strategy I use with America that breaks naval warfare is to buy many battleships and carriers and then attack enemy naval ships with them.  Of course, I can soak nany hits right off the bat and not even blink.  No fear, except i have to get them to a port to repair.

Well i propose that once there at the port, you have to spend 1 IPC to repair the ship.  Not much cost, but something.  I mean Naval bases and air bases have a cost as well as Industrials to repair, so my question is why not capital ships. It adds up over the course of the game and does make you think twice about damaging that prize ship.

Naval bases are expensive and should repair capital ships without extra cost IMO.

• Why not roll a 6 sided dice to repair. The damage would vary that way, and ppl wouldn’t put capital ships in harms way so often. Shipyard tech could reduce the repair cost to just 1 IPC (no dice).

• I think its a very good idea!  I would take it one step further and suggest that the repairs to capitol ships and facilities should be paid for at the beginning of your next turn (ie “Purchase & repair units”), but do not come into effect until the end of the turn (ie “Mobilize new units”).  So a damaged IC, air base, naval base, or capitol ship would have reduced effectiveness while it is being repaired.

For example, a major IC with 3 damage at the beginning could only mobilize 7 units that turn and only mobilize 10 on subsequent turns if the player spends 3 IPCs to repair it (This might not be a change from the current rules, but I am unsure. They could also be interpreted to mean 10 units could be mobilized, but a penalty of 3 IPCs has to be paid.  On page 24 of the Europe rulebook it says “These repairs are paid for (and the damage markers are removed) during the purchase and repair units phase of the turn”.  Can someone clarify this?).

Similarly, a capitol ship with 1 damage should cost 1 IPC to repair but those repairs do not come into effect until the end of the turn and the ship has to remain parked next to a naval base while it is in drydock.  It would be a lot more realistic that way.  In real life, carrier groups are used to prevent damage to aircraft carriers at all cost; less important ships are the hit soakers!

• @Vance:

I think its a very good idea!  I would take it one step further and suggest that the repairs to capitol ships and facilities should be paid for at the beginning of your next turn (ie “Purchase & repair units”), but do not come into effect until the end of the turn (ie “Mobilize new units”).  So a damaged IC, air base, naval base, or capitol ship would have reduced effectiveness while it is being repaired.

For example, a major IC with 3 damage at the beginning could only mobilize 7 units that turn and only mobilize 10 on subsequent turns if the player spends 3 IPCs to repair it (This might not be a change from the current rules, but I am unsure. They could also be interpreted to mean 10 units could be mobilized, but a penalty of 3 IPCs has to be paid.  On page 24 of the Europe rulebook it says “These repairs are paid for (and the damage markers are removed) during the purchase and repair units phase of the turn”.  Can someone clarify this?).

Similarly, a capitol ship with 1 damage should cost 1 IPC to repair but those repairs do not come into effect until the end of the turn and the ship has to remain parked next to a naval base while it is in drydock.  It would be a lot more realistic that way.  In real life, carrier groups are used to prevent damage to aircraft carriers at all cost; less important ships are the hit soakers!

I like that.  I think more people would bomb them if they could take them out of action for a round.  Turn 2 for example, Germany bombs UK AB, but all UK does is repair it and then it could move the extra space. Now, its out of commission for a round.

Very nice idea.

• @manincellv:

So a strategy I use with America that breaks naval warfare is to buy many battleships and carriers and then attack enemy naval ships with them.  Of course, I can soak nany hits right off the bat and not even blink.  No fear, except i have to get them to a port to repair.

??  I’m confused, your naval strategy breaks the game, so the fix is 1 ipc per ship?  I don’t think that’s going to fix your problem, could you be more specific as to why this fleet is able to deal with the Japanese?  How many rounds before it clears the Pacific?  Are you heading Atlantic from the beginning?  How does this strategy ‘break the game’ as you put it?

• I think BBs are underpowered and you want to nerf them? hmmm… no

• Sounds like you think that the Battleships and ACC are over powered. I thought that it they were a bit under powered. But that’s just me.

Anyway I like the idea of rolling the die for damage. That definatly changes Pacific naval buys

However I don’t see what you mean on how it breaks the game.

• @Noll:

I think BBs are underpowered and you want to nerf them? hmmm… no

I agree with this statement.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

The more I hear talk about penalties to repairing warships (cost or whatever) the more I am beginning to change my mind and think it’s okay as it is.

You can soak a lot of hits iwth your fleet, but then you have to retreat to a friendly base.  So your momentum is lost.

• Who knows, this guy comes on here and says his BB’s are overpowered.  But he didn’t back it up with why.  I don’t know what his issue is.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@JimmyHat:

Who knows, this guy comes on here and says his BB’s are overpowered.  But he didn’t back it up with why.  I don’t know what his issue is.

Not everyone realizes they need a Ph.D. in Axis and Allies to state an opinion Jimmy.  We both know you cannot just give an unsupported opinion and get away with it.  Further, he might have a different experience than we do.  Some think the tank dash is too powerful, we both know how to derail it and make it work for us, instead of our opponents.  But I am sure there will be others who come and make a post that it is too powerful again.

• '12

It is an interesting idea, but your explanation points to why your solution may not work.

Here is the jist of your suggestion, I think.

The USA has lots of CVs and BBs because they can afford it.  They are using them to soak hits because they have so many, so lets add a modest repair cost to stop that.

Here are my thoughts:

The problem is that the USA is the only power in the game (most of the time) that will shrug off the repair costs.  So you may actually make things worse for Japan in particular who would be much more affected by paying those costs.

Also your suggestion that a 1 IPC will deter a player from willingly taking hits from their capital ships right away is a bit confusing.  The next cheapest option is to lose a 6 IPC sub.  So a 1 IPC cost isn’t really going to change things.  But as was pointed out earlier, Naval bases are quite pricey as is and the need to pull back a damaged fleet is still a bit of a deterrent.  I think I’m OK with the rules as is.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m