• '17 '16 '13 '12

That certainly helps, but 1 sub is not sure business against a cruiser, it’s not a game changer. 2 subs against the cruiser would be wonderful (but that’s a bid of 12)

Would not you prefer an extra 2-4 infantry in Kwangsi?

@Cmdr:

I like to bid for a submarine for that reason.

@Omega1759:

I thought about keeping only 1 sub in 110 and sending 2 to 106. I guess I could also send this sub to 91…

I looking at IPC differentials and importance of destroyer in 106 plus convoy damage, think sending 2 subs to 106 is way to go.

@Cmdr:

@ViribusUnitis:

Hey Jenn, may I ask what you attack G1 with your U-boats?

SZ 91, SZ 106, SZ 110, SZ 111 and SZ 112 should all be cleared by German aircraft and naval craft.  There were no set up changes that effect these naval battles.  The risky one is SZ 106 due to the destroyer.  Next risky is SZ 91, if the submarine hits great, if it does not the cruiser probably will.  SZs 110, 111 and 112 all have at least 80% odds of success for the Germans, assuming Britian scrambles 3 aircraft to either SZ 110 or SZ 111.

Other attacks:

Yugoslavia
    France
    Annex Bulgaria
    Annex Finland

Possible attacks, if I’m feeling uppity: S. France, W. France

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I would not prefer extra infantry in Kwangsi.  Since I bring the lion’s share of Japan’s airforce to Yunnan, I generally only take 1 casualty there anyway.

2 Submarines vs the Destroyer/Transport in SZ 106 and ignore the British Cruiser would probably be the way I go.  I want SZ 110, 111 and 112 and I want a pair of fighters in S. Italy just in case I want to scramble. (I want to force England to consider them before attack.  Most British players seem to be giving up on the Adriatic Sea Battle so they can pummel the Destroyer in SZ 96 and escape.  If you dont put the German fighters there, they try to pull a hat trick and get all three Sea Zones.)

I have not bid in Alpha 3 yet.  It’s too early to know if anyone even needs a bid.

I like to buy up to 3 submarine a round with Germany.  You quickly see Germany with 20-30 submarines around the board in Alpha 2.  In alpha 3 you dont even need that many to cripple the United States and England.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@Cmdr:

I would not prefer extra infantry in Kwangsi.  Since I bring the lion’s share of Japan’s airforce to Yunnan, I generally only take 1 casualty there anyway.

2 Submarines vs the Destroyer/Transport in SZ 106 and ignore the British Cruiser would probably be the way I go.  I want SZ 110, 111 and 112 and I want a pair of fighters in S. Italy just in case I want to scramble. (I want to force England to consider them before attack.  Most British players seem to be giving up on the Adriatic Sea Battle so they can pummel the Destroyer in SZ 96 and escape.  If you dont put the German fighters there, they try to pull a hat trick and get all three Sea Zones.)

The Chinese can retake Yunnan though?

2 Fighters from W. Germany to SZ 112 can make it to S. Italy.  They could go to SZ 110 and make it to S. Italy.

@Omega1759:

@Cmdr:

Yes, but they cannot stack it heavily.  So you just send all your fighters and bombers to retake it.  You dont need that much to take out India, India’s a cake walk if you do it early enough.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

They can take it back and build there, but they probably don’t want to do that…

Do you bring almost all your navy / transports to zea zone 36, and beef up land forces in Kwangsi?

Then it gives you a choice to wipe out British / Anzac attempts to take the DEI (and wipe out their fleets) + the phillipines, and also gives yoou a choice of taking Yunnan once and for all?

@Cmdr:

2 Fighters from W. Germany to SZ 112 can make it to S. Italy.  They could go to SZ 110 and make it to S. Italy.

@Omega1759:

@Cmdr:

Yes, but they cannot stack it heavily.  So you just send all your fighters and bombers to retake it.  You dont need that much to take out India, India’s a cake walk if you do it early enough.

@mantlefan:

@Cmdr:

I have not bid in Alpha 3 yet.  It’s too early to know if anyone even needs a bid.

I like to buy up to 3 submarine a round with Germany.  You quickly see Germany with 20-30 submarines around the board in Alpha 2.  In alpha 3 you dont even need that many to cripple the United States and England.

OK… but is the breakdown I gave pretty much what you would do G1 without a bid, or would you do something different?

Combat Moves:

SZ 111:
    Defender: Destroyer, Battleship

• Fighter from Norway
    • Strategic Bomber from Germany
    • Submarine from SZ 124
    • Submarine from SZ 118
    • Tactical Bomber from Germany

–------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SZ 110:
    Defender: Cruiser, Battleship

• Submarine from SZ 108
    • Submarine from SZ 103
    • Fighter from Holland
    • 2 Fighters, 3 Tactical Bombers from W. Germany

SZ 106:
    Defender: Destroyer, Transport

• Submarine from SZ 117

SZ 112:
    Defender: 2 Cruisers

• Battleship, Cruiser from SZ 112
    • Tactical from Poland
    • Fighter from Hungary

Those are my naval engagements.

Yes, I move down.  I also generally put a naval base in Hainan around turn 3 so that I can zoom back to SZ 6 if I have too.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@Cmdr:

Yes, I move down.  I also generally put a naval base in Hainan around turn 3 so that I can zoom back to SZ 6 if I have too.

Do you see the UK / Anzac plunder the DEI before your eyes or are they foolish enough to attack you?

More importantly, if they don’t attack you, when do you attack them (and how do you get to india?)?

@Omega1759:

@Cmdr:

Do you see the UK / Anzac plunder the DEI before your eyes or are they foolish enough to attack you?

More importantly, if they don’t attack you, when do you attack them (and how do you get to india?)?

Keep in mind when I was playing the allies last we (my local gaming group) were doing nothing but smack japan first campaigns.  In those situations, the Japanese get knocked back to SZ 6.  Instead of America taking the DEI we usually had Australia do it.

I’ve since altered my approach with Japan and now go hot and heavy after India as hard as I can specifically because of the role it plays in smack japan first games.  It also serves as a splendid launching platform for the campaign in Australia.  Giving me two areas to build up fleet and splitting America’s attention.

Mantle, yes I buy a carrier with Germany.  No, SZ 106 is not dreadfully important but the battleships in SZ 110 and SZ 111 are.

I also go with slightly worse for me, slightly better for them.  Hence why I pound SZ 110 and SZ 111 so hard.  You could easily draw off two aircraft from those battles and still have winning odds, and if you want them in S. Italy, you might have too jostle them a bit to get where you want.

As I’ve said before, you can’t do everything every time.  That’s the standard Alpha 2 open and I see no reason to change it for Alpha 3.  I still want a German fleet in SZ 91 and I still want the British ships close to europe destroyed.  I still want France, Bulgaria, Finland and Yugoslavia.

German goals: Moscow, St. Petersburg, Stalingrad, Cairo, Paris.
    Italian goals: Cairo, Stalingrad, Middle East, N. Africa

Japanese goals:
    EITHER
    Moscow, Stalingrad
    OR
    Calcutta, Sydney, Hawaii

Depending on which path I take this week.

@mantlefan:

@Cmdr:

I am also wondering what gave you the impression that this would work. How many games have you done this in?

Every Alpha 2 game where I put the fighters in S. Italy I had them go to SZ 112 instead of SZ 110/SZ 111 so they had the fuel to make it.  I’ve never had the British fleet survive round 1 except the destroyer/transport in SZ 109 and sometimes SZ 106.

And no, my round 1 builds are 2 Transports, 1 Aircraft Carrier.  It puts the threat of sea lion in my opponent’s mind and I need the transports later anyway.  3 Transports are just enough that when they are in SZ 91 the Allies have to defend half the globe.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@Cmdr:

@mantlefan:

@Cmdr:

I am also wondering what gave you the impression that this would work. How many games have you done this in?

Every Alpha 2 game where I put the fighters in S. Italy I had them go to SZ 112 instead of SZ 110/SZ 111 so they had the fuel to make it.  I’ve never had the British fleet survive round 1 except the destroyer/transport in SZ 109 and sometimes SZ 106.

And no, my round 1 builds are 2 Transports, 1 Aircraft Carrier.  It puts the threat of sea lion in my opponent’s mind and I need the transports later anyway.  3 Transports are just enough that when they are in SZ 91 the Allies have to defend half the globe.

If the 2 fighters landing in S Italy go on 112, then the Slovak / Polish planes can’t go to 110, and you would be unable to attack these zones. I don’t think there is a way to wipe out the UK fleet and land in S. Italy at the same time.

BTW: My new sequence of moves is this:

Build Aircraft Carrier + 2 subs in zone 112
    Take 112 (1 cruiser, 1 sub and 1 battleship)
    Take 106 with 2 subs (117 / 118)
    Take 110 (against BB and Cruiser + 3 scramble) with 2 subs (103/ 108) +  1 Bomber + 3 tactical + 2 fighters (none of these to south Italy)
    Take France Turn 1 (4 infantry, 4 mec, 3 artillery, 5 tanks, 1 tactical)
    Take Normandy Turn 1 (Destroy fighter to help Italian Fleet) - 1 Infantry, 1 tank and 1 fighter, Attack with 3 infantry, 1 tactical, 3 fighters

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@mantlefan:

@Omega1759:

@Cmdr:

@mantlefan:

@Cmdr:

If the 2 fighters landing in S Italy go on 112, then the Slovak / Polish planes can’t go to 110, and you would be unable to attack these zones. I don’t think there is a way to wipe out the UK fleet and land in S. Italy at the same time.

BTW: My new sequence of moves is this:

Build Aircraft Carrier + 2 subs in zone 112
    Take 112 (1 cruiser, 1 sub and 1 battleship)
    Take 106 with 2 subs (117 / 118)
    Take 110 (against BB and Cruiser + 3 scramble) with 2 subs (103/ 108) +  1 Bomber + 3 tactical + 2 fighters (none of these to south Italy)
    Take France Turn 1 (4 infantry, 4 mec, 3 artillery, 5 tanks, 1 tactical)
    Take Normandy Turn 1 (Destroy fighter to help Italian Fleet) - 1 Infantry, 1 tank and 1 fighter, Attack with 3 infantry, 1 tactical, 3 fighters

if you adjust your moves to have the plane from slovakia fly straight to Italy, and remove 1 ftr from 110 and send it to 112, you cna do it, but you do have 1 less plane in 110 that way.

Good point… So one fighter isn’t doing anything. The 110 is becoming close though!  I don’t think I’ve seen this move done in Jennifer’s game though.

I’ve generally given up defending the Adriatic Sea, so no, I usually go after the British navy with superior fire power.  I only mentioned the extra fighters in S. Italy as an option to dissuade a British hat-trick.  (They can’t have superior odds in SZ 95, 96 and 97 if they figure you can scramble 3 fighters.  If you dont land in S. Italy, and the Cruiser in SZ 91 survives, there MIGHT be a way to get a hat trick, or at least, it could get close enough to try.)

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@Cmdr:

I’ve generally given up defending the Adriatic Sea, so no, I usually go after the British navy with superior fire power.  I only mentioned the extra fighters in S. Italy as an option to dissuade a British hat-trick.  (They can’t have superior odds in SZ 95, 96 and 97 if they figure you can scramble 3 fighters.  If you dont land in S. Italy, and the Cruiser in SZ 91 survives, there MIGHT be a way to get a hat trick, or at least, it could get close enough to try.)

Like here? :-D

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23867.0

Or here…

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23819.0

2 out of 3 games I looked at had fighters moving by 6 spaces, how nice!

• '17 '16 '13 '12

I agree, I had spent hours and hours figuring out the best opening with Germany. Then looking at Jennifer’s opening move, I was like “hmmm… hmmm…” not bad at all.

So I was planning to adopt the same approach until you pointed this out! Now I’m reverting to my prior approach.

@mantlefan:

Also, in both of them she moves the Tac that starts in Berlin 5 spaces. The one that goes to 111 needs to land on a carrier or die. Otherwise, moving it onto W Ger is illegal and allows a tac to get 1 extra movement that it should not have gotten the next turn.

It’s not like we ask for detailed reports because we are out to get her, it’s because we see here make strats we don’t agree are viable and a lrage part it’s becasue the rules are implemented incorrectly.

Misinterpretations of the rules like this affect interpretations of viable strategies. For example, without these super-planes of Germany (whether by accident or on purpose), Germany has a rougher time sticking it to the brits if they want to help Italy. The difference is 1 or 2 planes, but as we all know, 1 or 2 planes can be the difference.

• Not to be annoying, but I think we missed the point here, about an EARLY Barbarossa. Lets get past the G1 moves against the UK, and focus here, I for one have never been big on invading the UK, but I see the merrits in it.
    Anyway, lets get to the meat of this and talk strats here for Barbarossa! I usually never play as the Germans but I still enjoy reading peoples ideas, if nothing else it helps me plan to play against such strategies. Since I have played a hell of alot more games as the Soviets then I have as the Germans, I’ll talk about it from that perspective.

On SU1, I buy 3 infantry, 3 arty, 2 tanks and a mech. Mind you this is barring a G1 attack. I will move the tank and mech from Stalingrad along with the tank and mech from Moscow and move them to Bryansk. the 2 infantry from the Cucasus to Rostov and the infantry from Archangel to Novgorod. Then I will do the very standared fall back from the borders, leaving 1 infantry in the Blatic states, E. Poland, Karelia and none in Vyborg. The karelian and Vyborg infantry go to Novgorod, the E. Poland and Blatic states go to Belarus, the Ukraine Infantry go to W. Ukraine. I place the 3 infantry in Novgorod, the 3 arty in Ukraine and the 2 tanks and mech in Stalingrad. Thats my opening as the SU, prepare a German counter gearing towards a G2 or G3 Barbarossa and lets get back on topic please

• 2 moves I forgot! I move 1 infantry from Bessarabia to W. Ukraine and split the 6 infantry in Sakha and move 4 to Amur and 2 to Buryatia, and move 1 AA gun to Buryatia.

I also forgot the infantry in Moscow moves to Bryansk

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@Clyde85:

Not to be annoying, but I think we missed the point here, about an EARLY Barbarossa. Lets get past the G1 moves against the UK, and focus here, I for one have never been big on invading the UK, but I see the merrits in it.
    Anyway, lets get to the meat of this and talk strats here for Barbarossa! I usually never play as the Germans but I still enjoy reading peoples ideas, if nothing else it helps me plan to play against such strategies. Since I have played a hell of alot more games as the Soviets then I have as the Germans, I’ll talk about it from that perspective.

On SU1, I buy 3 infantry, 3 arty, 2 tanks and a mech. Mind you this is barring a G1 attack. I will move the tank and mech from Stalingrad along with the tank and mech from Moscow and move them to Bryansk. the 2 infantry from the Cucasus to Rostov and the infantry from Archangel to Novgorod. Then I will do the very standared fall back from the borders, leaving 1 infantry in the Blatic states, E. Poland, Karelia and none in Vyborg. The karelian and Vyborg infantry go to Novgorod, the E. Poland and Blatic states go to Belarus, the Ukraine Infantry go to W. Ukraine. I place the 3 infantry in Novgorod, the 3 arty in Ukraine and the 2 tanks and mech in Stalingrad. Thats my opening as the SU, prepare a German counter gearing towards a G2 or G3 Barbarossa and lets get back on topic please

I don’t think the G1 attack is an option for Germany, then we are talking about a G2?

I’m having a hard time seeing how the early Barbarossa can work because ignoring UK navy in early rounds is really detrimental.

What I can see work is for Italy to declare war on Russia I2 and take baltic states with 2 tanks and strat bomber (assuming defense is light). On G3, Germany walks in Baltic States with everything (including planes, as necessary for defence) without declaring war to Russia (5 extra IPC) or declaring war on Russia (to destroy fleet)

Baltic states are a great place to consolidate. Any force that was sent to Karelia is trapped because needs to go back to Leningrad first to retreat. If the SU goes all out to defend Leningrad, then can attack it on G4 if odds are favorable. If odds are not favorable, Italy can open up Belarus on I3 and all German Mech Forces can roll to Smolensk, threatening just about everything.

Not mentioning that need to wait to G3 for mechanized forces in France to come back to Baltic States anyway!

So you can tell my italian plans involve moving the 2 tanks to Slovakia on their first turn.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m