How to descreetly magnetize your carriers

• '16 '15 '14 Customizer

Hey all - tired of your planes scattering every time you move a loaded carrier? Don’t want to ruin the look of your units? This is the best way to magnetize carriers discreetly for Axis and Allies - no one will ever suspect you did it until they see the planes stick! See the video at my new youtube channel here - and I hope you will subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH4q5s1w5ibwvX_8V6NyhvA

• Hey!  I had that idea a few weeks ago, just haven’t started drilling yet…. :-D  I think that I am going to try using 2mm magnets on the aircraft; we will see how it goes.

Nice video!  Always a joy and insightful to watch videos of other customizers and their ideas.

Did you cut the wheels off of that TAC bomber?  Have you tried to magnetize one with the wheels (If so, how did it work with the carrier)?

• @Andy6049:

Did you cut the wheels off of that TAC bomber?  Have you tried to magnetize one with the wheels (If so, how did it work with the carrier)?

Hi Andy - Yes I took the wheels off so it would have better surface area on the carrier. I don’t think I tried to magnetize one with the wheels on.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Nice post! I have the exact same plan and already ordered the 3mm magnets a few weeks ago. Good to see it works, and thanks for the tips on the glue and the slot in the piece of wood to prevent unwanted damage to the planes.

• Glad it was helpful!

• DK,
    Are the 3mm magnets string enough to attract metal through the plastic deck?
    Or do you need a magnet on the belly of the plane?

I am moding my planes to be on stands, and I have been placing magnet strips on top of the deck, like siredblood and GHG. I like the look of yours better than having the magnets on the deck.
    So again my question, are the magnets under the deck strong enough to attract a metal stand on top of the deck?

• @Wildcat6305:

DK,

I am moding my planes to be on stands, and I have been placing magnet strips on top of the deck, like siredblood and GHG. I like the look of yours better than having the magnets on the deck.
    So again my question, are the magnets under the deck strong enough to attract a metal stand on top of the deck?

Hmmm…that I don’t know - my planes and carriers both have magnets and I don’t use plane stands. I’m not sure that just the carrier magnet would hold a plane stand - you’d have to experiment with that one.

• looks awesome, where to buy matching magnets?

• Check out my video in the link in my first post above…

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Wildcat6305:

DK,

They should hold your metal bases really well.  My pal is painting (and modding) the carriers for our game (I’m doing the planes right now), and he bought a pack of the little round magnets at the hobby store so we could try this. Pretty sure he got the 2mm magnets- they are really small.  Even with a coat of paint over the carrier deck and on the bottom of the plane, grabbing one plane on the carrier will lift the carrier and other plane off the board.  You have to hold the carrier down with one finger to lift a plane off of it. It doesn’t take much to pull a plane off, but enough to make sure the plane stays on the deck when moving pieces.  We’re ecstatic with the results.  He took a picture after he used my drill bit to drill holes for the magnets in the painted carriers, and it looks hilarious.  Plastic spinners rising up from the deck like a bomb hit.  Had to re-paint the decks on those carriers, but totally worth it.  Can’t wait to post pictures of his Japanese carriers. He’s modded the A&A Akagi mold to make a Kaga, Hiryu, Soryu, and a short Zuiho (by chopping off the front).  And he shortened a few Shinano molds to make a Ryujo and the Amagi.  Hand painted the decks and sides of each to be historically accurate as possible, and they are amazing.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

After watching DK’s video- yes, we have the 2mm magnets.  Edit to add: we’ve actually used the 1/16 x 1/32 magnets available from http://www.primalhorizon.com/products.php.  The magnets are their most popular product right now and the link takes you right to them.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m